• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUGE Suburban Turn Around -LOTS of pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE Suburban Turn Around -LOTS of pics

Hey guys. First let me say, I think this is one of our finest jobs and thought everyone here would enjoy it too...After a job like this it just makes you for another one! This was about a 9 hour battle...from about 10 a.m till dark which was around 7 pm...lots of sun people, LOTS of sun

So heres the run down...my sister got us this job. This couple had mentioned they wanted to sell their 01' Suburban so my sis brought to their attention that we could help them sell it much faster. They only wanted a 'quick clean up' to help them sell it, but after explaining what we do and how much it will help...and that we did their neighbors RV a few doors down a month ago and it sold in a couple weeks....they agreed to at least let us polish it out and go for 65-70% correction...true to form, we went the extra mile and got even better than that...wet your appitite yet haha?

The day we did this job it was about 107 outside (yes, in the middle of September!) and we were working with very limited shade to say the least.

Heres a run down of our process/products JUST incase you wanna know (and I know you do).

First, engine detail

Soaked with Megs Degreaser 4:1/scrubbed (and scrubbed...and scrubbed) and then dressed with Megs Hyperdressing 2:1

Washed with Megs Shampoo plus

Clayed with Megs blue clay

Tires/Wheel wells cleaned with Megs Degreaser as well (usually use apc+ but these were BAD) and dressed with Megs Hyperdressing 2:1

Used a PC (original) buffer/ Megs 2.0 Softbuff Polishing pad (one pad for the whole SUV, i was very pleased) and USUALLY i'd used Megs D151, but i was almost out...so i remembered I had bought Pinnacles XMT #1-4 swirl remover's a couple months back from someone who was selling them for a very good price, so i decided to give Pinnacle XMT Swirl Remover #2 a try...thought about #3 for more correction, but figured #2 would finish up nicer...lets just say i got the best of both world with #2...I say i chose well

Topped off with Megs NXT 2.0 Tech Wax on a Megs 2.0 softbuff finishing pad. Meguiars (obviously) is my go to brand and we would have had the whole thing Meguiars if we had any D151 left, but like I said...we were very low on it and my wallet was low too....if only Megs would sponsor us...

First and foremost, i'd like to thank God for letting this tree grow here, because it provided the only shade we had! We had to move the SUV about 3 times just to keep whatever area we were working on in the shade. Funny how 8 feet of shade won't cover about 18 feet of SUV

Here's to you tree!

Alright, lets get this party started...heres what we were working with

Yes, thats the before picture...doesn't look so bad right? Funny how from a distance the sun can make even a dirty vehicle look good....but lets take a closer look...

mmhmmm....crazy swirls...etched in water spots....go on go on...

Another hood before shot...did i mention the crazy swirls and etched in water spots??

I like to do my write-ups with side by side pictures so...lets take a look at how it turned out.

Keep in mind...this was with a single pass on a polishing, not a cutting pad. Pinnacles XMT stayed quite oily as it broke down, and in this kind of heat...that was a good thing...it helped me get a good buffing cycle on each area...it was slow and grueling but heres how it turned out

Told you we got closer to 90%...here's another one

Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close up...

And how about a few Brinkmann light pictures? Heres a good before:

anddd after...

You can't hide from me swirls...i've got 4 eyes and all of them see you

Ok the paint is clear...now i'll move into the picture

Isn't it lovely what the $5 car washes do? You really DO get more than what you pay for...

It's ok quickie car wash places...I've got much love for you, you keep us in business and make our work look THAT much more dramatic...

A quick tip on taking before/after pictures....if you put something in the picture as a sort of 'location marker'....in this case the 'Suburban' emblem, it really helps to show almost perfect before/after pictures...

Now for what you've all been waiting for...the beauty shots!

She looks good from the side...

The front...

And the back (yes i turned the car around in the driveway just to take great sun pictures)

Just another beauty shot...i'm not obsessed....seriously...im not

This roof was fun, considering it was only about as long as a football field....

I call this one....Crouching Tiger Hidden Buffer << (my sis says i look like that little guy)

Another reflection picture...

And one more...since green is the theme it seems of this post (green truck...green tree, green polish)...lets give it up one more time for Mr. Tree

(continued below....)
    Wills Amstutz
    Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Re: HUGE Suburban Turn Around -LOTS of pics

All the interior work goes to my sisters credit. On top of helping me with the outside (especially with the hard parts like...where you have to do small areas by hand...) she also did the entire interior..

Heres a before of the back hatch...pretty dirty and dull

And the after...note this wasn't even a shampoo as they didn't want that done, but she still laid it out...

Heres the front area after...she said she did the gas/brake pedal's just for me...she know's I have a touch of O.C.D so she's kind enough to help keep me as sane as possible

This was suppose to just be a quick interior clean up since thats all they wanted, but like i said, we go the extra mile for our customers...so she couldnt just leave the leather all dirty....Heres the before

And After

And a quick before and after of the tires/wheel wells which she too took care of

As I said at the beginning, we did the engine as well. Like i told the owner's...when people buy a car they always want to look under the hood....most dont know what the hell they're looking at lol, but if they see its super clean they'll think 'Hey, this guy/girl took good care of their SUV'

Well, I don't think it was detailed for about...erm...9 years or so (remember, its an 01', you do the math)...this is how it looked

But we fixed that

Center shot before, can you tell we do occasionally get dust storms here?

Dirt and grime, be gone! Sorry but you HAVE to do the engine, you just have to. Without it it's almost like buying a brand new 3 piece suit and wearing tennis shoes with it!

Well everyone, thats it. I hope you enjoyed the write up, the pictures and my 1 a.m humor . I leave you with one last picture, not because you haven't seen it before, but because it's so awesome I think you should see it again!

Thanks everyone!

Wills Amstutz
    www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Holy wow what a improvement!! In 107F heat and a dinky tree for shade no less! So after seeing the depth and gloss of that dark green paint....are they still selling it? I know I'd be thinking twice about it.

Very nice write up, thanks for showing us your work.

BTW....is there anything less then LOTS of sun in the Arizona desert?
      For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

Fantastic turnaround. The Suburban looks better then new. Great work both of you.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Having done my share of Suburbans, I know what a task they can be especially in our heat. You did a FANASTIC job on that '01. That thing looks great.
          Don
          "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Originally posted by Underdawg736 View Post
              Holy wow what a improvement!! In 107F heat and a dinky tree for shade no less! So after seeing the depth and gloss of that dark green paint....are they still selling it? I know I'd be thinking twice about it.

Very nice write up, thanks for showing us your work.

BTW....is there anything less then LOTS of sun in the Arizona desert?
              The wife of the couple didn't want to sell it to begin with but the husband was pretty much ready to get rid of it. When we dropped it off however, only he came out and HE was saying "wow i dont know if i want to get rid of it now it looks so good"...he did say they had a call on it during the day we were detailing it, but it does sound like there were at least second thoughts going on in his head. I can only imagine what his wife's reaction was when she saw it.

Nope, never anything less than LOTS of sun out here...that day there was LOTS AND LOTS...there are levels of 'LOTS' out here

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
              Fantastic turnaround. The Suburban looks better then new. Great work both of you.
              Thank you!

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
              Having done my share of Suburbans, I know what a task they can be especially in our heat. You did a FANASTIC job on that '01. That thing looks great.
              It was a monster to tackle. I'm sure i looked kinda funny on the hood for the one part, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't mind another one, but I know we wouldn't do it for the price we gave these guys. We're hoping they'll call us and let us do their 550i BMW...black BMW. I know the paint is super hard but we want to get our hands on it!

Originally posted by aris View Post
              Nice work
              Thank you too, appreciate the kind comments everyone.
              Wills Amstutz
              www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

OUT-FREAKING-STANDING dude!!! That roof HAD to be an S.O.B.!!!
                Ray...
                Graphic Designer and detail semi-freak!

Comment

Originally posted by Raykreations View Post
                  OUT-FREAKING-STANDING dude!!! That roof HAD to be an S.O.B.!!!
                  Yeah it was especially with those racks on top...had to do all the section under them by hand...4" pads took care of most of it but i had to 1 hand it and thats a little hard to control on that center row...but hey cant just do 90% of the job and quit on the hard parts right
                  Wills Amstutz
                  www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');