• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gilmour Foam Gun - F-350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilmour Foam Gun - F-350

A good client of mine called me over the weekend and wanted his F-350 cleaned up as well as his wife's X5. He told me to do it whenever I wanted so I settled for Tuesday since its supposed to rain Wednesday, and I had a detail lined up for both Thursday and Friday.

I figured this was a good time to play with my foam gun and get to know it more, I had only used it one time before briefly on a Ford Excursion.

The last time I washed the truck was about a month ago. It has not actually been driven since then. It has just sat and gotten rained on a couple of times.

I arrived at 7:00 am, moved the truck into the washing area and took a before shot:

I put 5oz of Super Soap into the jar and filled the rest with water. I should also note I put it on the highest setting, which puts out the most foam.

I scrubbed the tires, wheels, and wells with various brushes.

It turned out there was actually just enough to do the body of the truck.

I put a couple ounces of Super Soap into my rinse bucket, I used a brand new Meguiars wash mitt as well. It came with the foam gun, as well as the 32oz bottle of Super Soap.

I used it on the second highest setting for the body.

I couldnt help but foam up the wheels/tires again as well.

This was taken maybe a minute after I foamed up the section.

The nozzle puts out a strong blast, or a fan depending on how much pressure is applied.

I did not get a couple of after shots until later in the day, I dressed the tires and wells with Hyper-Dressing at 1:1. I also did an application of #135 - Synthetic Spray Detailer to the paint and jambs to boost the existing coats of NXT.

Just a few afters.

As for the foam gun, its pretty neat.

Got it for $55 at ADS, they threw in a wash mitt and a 32oz bottle of Super Soap. I also ordered a couple more gallons of Super Soap as well as NXT Car Wash.

The Super Soap foams up the best IMO. So far I have tried it #62, GC, NXT, and DC. #62 and DC would be a close second IMO.

I should also note that during the wash I broke down the truck into multiple foaming sections, I did not foam it all at once except for the end.

I wouldnt say it makes the wash go any faster or slower. It does make it a little easier and a little more fun.

So far I have done four vehicles with it and am pretty happy with it. Its definitly a product I will be using for just about every wash. The only down side is that you use a bit more soap IMO. I tend to add a couple of oz to the bucket and use a little more than 5oz in the gun.

This really was not so much a review, just wanted to play around with it a little and snap some pics.

If you have any questions just go ahead and ask.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Re: Gilmour Foam Gun - F-350

Thanks Nick, I see more $$$ being layed out for the business thanks to you!!

So you foam the vehicle and let it sit for ....? (how long)
    Then follow the foam with a complete wash down with the typical stuff (bucket/water/soap/mitt)?
    In other wordds, the foam is not an all-in-one-process correct? It's just helps loosen dirt for an easier wash?
    I have obviously never used a foam gun which is obviously the reasons for the questions.

Thanks Nick. Nice write up.
    Don
    "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post

As for the foam gun, its pretty neat.

Got it for $55 at ADS, they threw in a wash mitt and a 32oz bottle of Super Soap. I also ordered a couple more gallons of Super Soap as well as NXT Car Wash.

The Super Soap foams up the best IMO. So far I have tried it #62, GC, NXT, and DC. #62 and DC would be a close second IMO.

I wouldnt say it makes the wash go any faster or slower. It does make it a little easier and a little more fun.

So far I have done four vehicles with it and am pretty happy with it. Its definitly a product I will be using for just about every wash. The only down side is that you use a bit more soap IMO. I tend to add a couple of oz to the bucket and use a little more than 5oz in the gun.

The truck looks great as usual but I'm wondering if that missing hubcap bothers you. The owner must not be loosing any sleep over it because it's been gone for a while.

I bought the same kit earlier this year and have only had a chance to use it once. I have the same impression as you - easier and more fun but not a necessity that makes the work quicker or easier. Seems like a good way to get wash solution on the paint and softening bugs or loosening other contaminants quickly. Haven't tried other soaps but there are some bottles of DC and GC somewhere in my garage. Planning to order some Super Soap for next year when we get a little closer - trying to get through some of my stash before winter hits.

Comment

Woohoo, more foam gun people.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Looks like a fun detailer toy!

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
          Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

I love my foam gun too Btw, I take off the front disconnect off (you'll need pliers to loosen it up at first and then after you can screw it back on) the front of the pistol grip when spraying the car as the spray pattern is a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
              Thanks Nick, I see more $$$ being layed out for the business thanks to you!!

So you foam the vehicle and let it sit for ....? (how long)
              Then follow the foam with a complete wash down with the typical stuff (bucket/water/soap/mitt)?
              In other wordds, the foam is not an all-in-one-process correct? It's just helps loosen dirt for an easier wash?
              I have obviously never used a foam gun which is obviously the reasons for the questions.

Thanks Nick. Nice write up.
              Thanks Don!

After doing the wheels, tires, and wells, I filled up a five gallon bucket, added 2oz of Super Soap and threw a wash mitt and grit guard in there. I only needed a couple ounces of shampoo in the bucket since there was more than 5 oz in the gun.

I then rinsed down the entire body of the truck with water, foamed up the windshield, hood, and front end, waited a minute, then washed that section by hand like normal, then rinse.

I cut the truck into sections, foam the section, agitate with a wash mitt, then rinse with water.

On the F-350 I did five sections total.

Then at the very end if there is enough foam left I re foam the entire vehicle all at once and then rinse it after a coupe of minutes.

I kind of do that last part just for fun.

I hope that made sense, lol.

And I am not sure how everyone else does it so there may be a better or a different way.

Originally posted by boiler7904 View Post
              The truck looks great as usual but I'm wondering if that missing hubcap bothers you. The owner must not be loosing any sleep over it because it's been gone for a while.

I bought the same kit earlier this year and have only had a chance to use it once. I have the same impression as you - easier and more fun but not a necessity that makes the work quicker or easier. Seems like a good way to get wash solution on the paint and softening bugs or loosening other contaminants quickly. Haven't tried other soaps but there are some bottles of DC and GC somewhere in my garage. Planning to order some Super Soap for next year when we get a little closer - trying to get through some of my stash before winter hits.
              Yes, seems to help really loosen up the bugs a lot and it is pretty fun to use. But obviously not a neccessity. I also feel there is some real good lubrication.

As for the hubcaps, I dont think the owner really cares.

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Woohoo, more foam gun people.
              I heard good things from you about it. Glad I pulled the trigger.

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
              Looks like a fun detailer toy!
              Sure is, when are you getting one?

Originally posted by imacarnut View Post
              I love my foam gun too Btw, I take off the front disconnect off (you'll need pliers to loosen it up at first and then after you can screw it back on) the front of the pistol grip when spraying the car as the spray pattern is a little better.
              Thanks for the tip. Definitly going to keep it in mind.
              Nick
              815-954-0773

Comment

Looks like a neat tool. I can see having fun using it. Thanks for the write up and pics.
                quality creates its own demand

Comment

How's Super Soap compared to other Meguiar's soaps you've used? Have you used any other soaps from the detailer line? Just looking to get some opinions from people I admire
                  Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
                  Personalized Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                    Looks like a neat tool. I can see having fun using it. Thanks for the write up and pics.
                    I didnt think I would end up liking it as much as I do.

Originally posted by ca2kjet View Post
                    How's Super Soap compared to other Meguiar's soaps you've used? Have you used any other soaps from the detailer line? Just looking to get some opinions from people I admire
                    I have used Shampoo Plus and #62 from the Pro and Detailer Line.

Super Soap smells like Ultimate Quik Wax, cleans well, leaves behind a good clean finish, and rinses well. It also foams up really good IMO.

Good product.

I do think that Gold Class, UW&W and Shampoo Plus leave behind a slightly better finish though.

I still have yet to try UW&W in the foam gun.
                    Nick
                    815-954-0773

Comment

Thanks for the detailed write up Nick!! This is what i was waiting for. So do you think that having a foam gun speeds up the process of washing a vehicle? I have a foam gun myself and sometimes, I find it wasteful and unnecessary.

Do you just foam the car and let it dwell? Then was the car after like normal? Or do you hit the car with foam while washing as well?
                      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                        Thanks for the detailed write up Nick!! This is what i was waiting for. So do you think that having a foam gun speeds up the process of washing a vehicle? I have a foam gun myself and sometimes, I find it wasteful and unnecessary.

Do you just foam the car and let it dwell? Then was the car after like normal? Or do you hit the car with foam while washing as well?
                        I dont think it speeds up the wash process , but makes cleaning go a little bit faster. I have only used it on four vehicles so far and will be able to tell better in the future. But its not a drastic time saver IMO.

I have tweaked my technique once already, and that is working in sections. I foam a section, such as one side of the vehicle, agitate with my wash mitt, then rinse. I did a total of five sections for the F-350, which was both sides of the truck, tailgate, roof, then windshield, hood, and front end. I let each section dwell for a minute before agitation.

I tend to spend a lot of time on the front end and windshield removing bugs and such. As well as the lower fenders for the removal of dirt and tar.

I just dont like foaming the whole vehicle, then by the time I get to a certain section the foam is gone. But I suppose I could just spray it on again. I also use it on the highest setting, sometimes the second to highest.

I am open to suggestions since I know others have been using them for a while now.

Definitly something I will be using for every wash though. I like it a lot.
                        Nick
                        815-954-0773

Comment

I'll add my few thoughts:

Not really a time saver. Time saved hauling buckets is probably wasted getting the hose around the wheels.

I use the same amount of soap, though probably a bit more water overall in rinsing.

I tend to wash pretty much like with 2 buckets. For instance to do a side, I spray the fender/mitt, wash with mitt. Then flip over mitt, spray the door/mitt, and wash with mitt. Then go ot rinse bucket. Then spray the back door/mitt, wash with mitt. Then flip over mitt, spray the back fender/mitt, wash, rinse in bucket. On a warm day, usually need to rinse at that point.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
                            I have used Shampoo Plus and #62 from the Pro and Detailer Line.

Super Soap smells like Ultimate Quik Wax, cleans well, leaves behind a good clean finish, and rinses well. It also foams up really good IMO.

Good product.

I do think that Gold Class, UW&W and Shampoo Plus leave behind a slightly better finish though.

I still have yet to try UW&W in the foam gun.
                            Good to know, thanks
                            Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
                            Personalized Detailing

Comment

I absolutely love that truck. As for the foamgun, I love mine too. Definitely makes washing more fun.

Good work, btw!
                              -James
                              2012 Chevy Silverado ECSB. Z71 4x4. 5.3

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');