• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1952 MG - Original Paint!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1952 MG - Original Paint!

Mike and I corrected the *original* paint on this 1952 MG HD show car:

I met the owner of this beauty at last year's "Run To The Pines" show in PineTop, AZ in September 2009, in which it placed 2nd in its class. At that time I performed a test spot by hand with M105 and the owner was sufficiently impressed to stock up on Meg's products and started working by hand.

After having some success, he contacted me about correcting the paint, and the rest, as they say, is history
    The paint is original lacquer - 58 years old! This paint correction would call on all of our skills, techniques, products, pads, and machines! We approached this correction with a healthy amount of caution. We worked each panel with the least aggressive combination and gradually moved up in aggresiveness until we found the right combo for each panel.

You can see the amount of swirling and level of defects on this original paint:

We started with the passenger side fender. After several passes of M83 via G110 and white pad we achieve about 80% correction. We then adjusted our polish mixture by using 2 drops of M83 and 1 drop of M95. This improved the cut yet continued to be a relatively gentle combo. We spent 8 man-hrs on this fender perfecting our process and technique for maximum results while removing as little material as necessary.

This car was particulary challenging due to the compound curves and tight spaces. We used M105 by hand wherever the G110 wouldn't fit (which was alot!)

Fender 50/50:

On the bonnet we gradually worked up to the Flex and a purple foamed wool pad to remove the defects.

Bonnet 50/50:

The doors and rear fenders were corrected with M95 on 4" LC white pads.

Further testing revealed M205 to be the very best finishing polish for this paint. We tested M80 as we theorized that the rich oils would reinvigorate the paint, but M205 once again proved to be the best product on the planet.

Befores and Afters

Bonnet

Fender:

We sealed the paint with M20, layered with M26 12 hours later. Some final afters:

And finally, the proud owner

Thanks for looking

Re: 1952 MG - Original Paint!

Originally posted by InfiniteDetail View Post
    Mike and I corrected the *original* paint on this 1952 MG HD show car
    Correction - 1952 MG TD

Comment

Fantastic results on a classic car. Man, the MG looks great. Way to go guys.
      quality creates its own demand

Comment

ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE job on that beautiful MG. Nice job!!
        Don
        "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Phenomenal transformation there .. Top job!

Comment

good job.paint look good.
            1995 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
            1996 Mustang GT 5 speed -Sold-
            1999 Camaro Z28 6 Speed -Sold-
            2005 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

Great job Jeff! I'm always impressed with your work!! So you changed your S/N huh!?
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Thanks everybody. this thing was a lot of work, to say the least. It challenged us technically and mentally. We had to constantly be on the lookout for any paint issue that might react "adversely" to the G110 or flex. Our eyes were in constant motion, but we did really enjoy working on it. Glenn has a beautiful car!
                The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Once again gotta just say WOW....so this was the original paint you were holdin your breath about huh mike? Man it turned out awesome...beautiful color and beautiful car.

Nice work guys as always
                  Wills Amstutz
                  Windows And Wheels Auto Detailing LLC
                  www.WindowsAndWheels.com

'Like' Us On Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by audionutmike View Post
                    Thanks everybody. this thing was a lot of work, to say the least. It challenged us technically and mentally. We had to constantly be on the lookout for any paint issue that might react "adversely" to the G110 or flex. Our eyes were in constant motion, but we did really enjoy working on it. Glenn has a beautiful car!
                    What's up Mike!! How's it going?!?! Good to see you here. Long time no talk.

Comment

Dang Jeff, the only thing I can think to say is WOW !!!!! Fantastic work.
                      Tracy
                      765-413-7547
                      Autobritedetailing@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                        Fantastic results on a classic car. Man, the MG looks great. Way to go guys.
                        Thanks J. A.!

Originally posted by gto_don View Post
                        ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE job on that beautiful MG. Nice job!!
                        Thanks Don, working up here in Pinetop (80*) sure beats working down in the valley at 110*!

Originally posted by FRS View Post
                        Phenomenal transformation there .. Top job!
                        Thanks

Originally posted by ali pontiac View Post
                        good job.paint look good.
                        Thanks Ali

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
                        Great job Jeff! I'm always impressed with your work!! So you changed your S/N huh!?
                        Thanks Marc, sure could have used your help on this one! We decided to use our business name for marketing purposes

Originally posted by Wills.WindowsAndWheels View Post
                        Once again gotta just say WOW....so this was the original paint you were holdin your breath about huh mike? Man it turned out awesome...beautiful color and beautiful car.

Nice work guys as always
                        Thanks! Mike has told me that we need to get together with you one of these days - we're looking forward to it

We need to get together again, but not down in the valley!

Originally posted by Autobrite View Post
                        Dang Jeff, the only thing I can think to say is WOW !!!!! Fantastic work.
                        Thanks Tracy!

Comment

Yeah, I don't post much anymore. I make Jeff post our write-ups! LOL How are you doing?
                          The power of the flex compells you!!!

Comment

Thanks Marc, sure could have used your help on this one! We decided to use our business name for marketing purposes

Thanks! Mike has told me that we need to get together with you one of these days - we're looking forward to it

We need to get together again, but not down in the valley!
                            I want to go if you guys are getting together!!! Isn't it too hot though?

Comment

Thanks Don, working up here in Pinetop (80*) sure beats working down in the valley at 110*!

That's just WRONG Jeff! Just plain wrong.
                              Don
                              "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');