• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spit shining w/ #16 & NXT Booster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spit shining w/ #16 & NXT Booster

With the revived interest in spit shining (at least on other forums), and the odds being in favor of the weather turning nasty really fast (it is November after all) I decided to give the method a try...with #16 and NXT Spray Booster.

I was going to put a coat on the car anyway since I know the window of good weather will probably end quickly. So I gave the car a good wash, then got out the #16 & NXT Booster. Putting a finishing pad on the PC, I spread a small amount on the pad with a butter knife. Then (after properly shaking the bottle), I sprayed a mist over the hood.

Setting the PC to 3.5, I began applying the #16. Dang, did it go on sweet. I was able to cover the entire hood with that one application, it took a few minutes for all the Booster wax to be absorbed/dry, leaving a thicker than usual, but not overly thick residue/haze. I completed the entire car, using probably less than 1.5 oz of #16 and about half as much NXT Booster.

It took about 20 mnutes (including interruptions) to cover the car, so I began removing the haze. The first pass with the terry towel felt like I was going to have a real problem removing the stuff. It felt really hard and rough. But the second the nap "broke through" the haze, it wiped off like a dream. There was absolutely NO dust, and it felt so slick that I almost wish a cat would come along so I could see it fall on it's butt when it tried jumping on the hood.

I went ahead and gave the rims the same treatment, and finished the tires with Hot Shine (spray can)

Here are the pics (the wife took the 'good' camera to her grand mothers)

Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Re: Spit shining w/ #16 & NXT Booster

Originally posted by Don
    With the revived interest in spit shining (at least on other forums), and the odds being in favor of the weather turning nasty really fast (it is November after all) I decided to give the method a try...with #16 and NXT Spray Booster.
    Hi Don,

Your results look good, but help me to understand your application method?

Are you applying #16 first, then NXT Spray Wax? Or mixing them? Or using the NXT Spray Wax over the coat of #16 PPW?

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The basic method is the same as spit shining boot (as in the military method) where water is sprinkled over the surface of the boot, then the wax is applied over the boot until the water is absorbed by the applicator or evaporates. Allow the polish to set/dry/haze, then buff off. See This link for a more detailed 'How To'

What did was to apply the #16 to the finishing pad with a butter knife.

Then I took the bottle of NXT Booster (shaking well first) and sprayed a light mist over the area I was working.

From there, I used the PC to apply the #16 to the area that was pre-misted with the Booster, working the area until the "wetness" of the Booster was gone, and the #16 evenly spread. Then I would repeat the process with each panel in turn until the car was done.

The haze was left on for about 20 min, then I buffed with the terry cloth towel. At first, it felt like I had applied too much #16 and let is sit too long I thought I was going to have some real problems removing it, but as soon as the napp of the towel 'cut through' the haze, it wiped right off, NO DUST AT ALL!

Does this make things clear as mud?
      Don
      12/27/2015
      "Darth Camaro"

Comment

After reading that thread, and then thinking about, he's my 2 cents.

Meguiar's chemists formulate our waxes to be applied as stand alone products. Adding water by spitting, or spritzing water to the surface isn't necessary and may adulterate the wax formula.

I can't imagine how adding water or spit to a waxing process using any of Meguiar's waxes would be beneficial. Might work well on leather, but on an automotive finish, I'd prefer to apply the wax by itself, allow it to dry and then remove it.

But... if it works for you... then that's what it's all about.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I didn't (and still don't) know if the experiment is going to produce good, bad or indifferent results, but I just had an urge to give it a try.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"

Comment

I tried that method described too but with another brand of wax. I think that technique might only work with some other non Meguiars waxes
            my product collection-- New !
            My Detailing Credo
            Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');