• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first PC detail job (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first PC detail job (56k warning)

Here's my 98 Indigo Blue Metallic Chevy Silverado. My usual scenario was #9, #7 then #26, all put on with a Sears orbital and I was always happy with the results.

The last detail job I did on it was in April and it was starting to look like it was time for another. That's when I found this forum and the wonderful PC.

Here is a before shot that is pretty representative of the overall condition of the paint, shiny, but some swirls in the sun.

So the process went like this:
    note.. all products were applied with a PC and removed with the Sears buffer (didn't have any bonnets for the pc )

1. 2 passes with DACP on a megs polishing pad set to 5 on the PC. (remember, go slow and work in small areas)

2. Then I went to SMR 2.0 on a megs polishing pad set to 4.5 on the PC.

3. Followed that up with a light coat of #7 by hand.

4. Then at Tim's suggestion I went for the #20 with a megs finishing pad and the PC set on 3 and let it sit overnight.

5. Topped with #26 using a megs finishing pad and the PC set on 3.

Here are the results..

Oh, and the Megs Hot Shine Tire spray is da bomb

Your truck looks awesome!!! Great job!!

Now, give it a couple of days, and then add one more coat of #26. You will love it!!!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Nice job, how long did it take you?

Comment

awesome results... indeed i agree with jcma81.. how long did you workes on it.. it's a very big truck.

Comment

Awesome!! Great results. How long did it take to complete up to the #20?

Comment

Looking good , Great job !
            If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys!

It took me about 8 hrs to get to the polymer sealant point. Since I was new to DACP and the PC it took a little experimentation.

My first attempt on the hood and fender with DACP wasn't giving me the results I wanted, so I kept trying and what worked was bumping the PC speed to 5 (from 4.5), going slower, and working in a smaller area, about 18" square. I don't think I would have needed to go over it with the SMR 2.0 cause the finish looked great, but I'm crazy (just ask my neighbors) so I did it.

I'm sure a rotary would have took the scratches out faster, but I don't have one, let alone have any skills with one.

The thing that I really notice now, is that the metallic in the paint pops out like never before.

Comment

Super Job!

Your truck looks incredible!

Welcome to the world of PC!

My Dad said once..."Son...you can never do enough for a good customer!" I Said "Don't worry Dad...I won't"!

Hehehehe

Comment

Hey man, nice job, looks wonderful.

PS it looks like that bottle of #20 is painted on the hood!

but now you'll feel bad when you take that thing to the off road park and give it a good thrashing!
                  WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

Nice job!

You're a quick study from the looks of it.
                    r. b.

Comment

Nice rig. Is that a 2nd gen Camaro in the garage?

Eric
                      Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

You are correct, that is a 76 RS/Type LT, you'll have to excuse the pic, it's the only one I could find on my computer. I had just put the cowl hood on and was refinishing the valance panel.

I'll see if I can dig up some more pics.

Comment

If a fly try to land on that finish - surely he'll slide off and break a leg. Great job!
                          "NOW IS THE TIME"

Comment

Thanks foris2,

I actually had a hard time taking a pic of that bottle of #20, it kept sliding off my hood!

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');