• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2004 Porsche 996 GT3 detailed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 detailed

Can I ask why the only Meguiars product you used was the soap? You used some products that I have found to be sub-par. Just curious. It does look nice though, but I can see what Joe is saying because it sounds like you settled for "better than before", although joe's detail's=better than us all. Here is a picture of a Subaru that I did on a cloudy overcast day, with a bad camera. I think it "pops" and is more reflective than the Porsche, which may come down to what your using.

"I drink windex........it keeps me from streaking."

Comment

Originally posted by soonercivic View Post
      Can I ask why the only Meguiars product you used was the soap? You used some products that I have found to be sub-par. Just curious. It does look nice though, but I can see what Joe is saying because it sounds like you settled for "better than before", although joe's detail's=better than us all. Here is a picture of a Subaru that I did on a cloudy overcast day, with a bad camera. I think it "pops" and is more reflective than the Porsche, which may come down to what your using.
      So you've found Optimum Polish to be sub par? I used it because I recently purchased some locally and wanted to give it a try, since many people were saying good stuff about it. I hate to sound so defensive because I'm really taking all this as constructive criticism so to say, but I don't see a difference between the first photo you posted and the one Joe posted of the Porsche
      Ivan Rajic - LUSTR Auto Detail
      Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

I have OP and every Meguiar's polish.

OC and OHC are on the way. I used OP and #83 on a truck a while back and I can't really say anything bad about their products. OP caused one of my pads to bubble and that was about it. :P I really think it is all a matter of personal preference. I am always up for trying new things, but when I need results I always find myself reaching for Meguair's.

OP had more shine when used, but it required much longer to remove the defects. I think that if I had used #83 followed by #80 it would have looks the same or better. Also for single stage paints, nothing really beats Meguiar's. I would really like to see another company that could make polishes preform that well on SS paints.
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Nice job & very nice car. That paint was certainly in bad shape.I see what Joe is saying about the milky haze. I noticed that on the after pics #1 & 2 as well & on #3 it looks better.
          Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
          www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
          Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

gotta agree with Joe, there is a big difference between a filled in finish and an actually polished finish. Thats why we use MEGUIARS. Good effort but I would encourage you to take all that effort and invest in Meguiars products and learning how to use them.
            Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by waxboy View Post
              gotta agree with Joe, there is a big difference between a filled in finish and an actually polished finish. Thats why we use MEGUIARS. Good effort but I would encourage you to take all that effort and invest in Meguiars products and learning how to use them.
              90% of the products I have are meg's, including 83, 82, 80, etc... I used Optimum just to experiment... since everyone's agreeing with Joe, I would really like to hear what I can do to improve on it, other than using meg's products...
              Chicago, Illinois

Recognized as One of the Top Nine Auto Detailers in the US by AutoWeek Magazine!!

Comment

hahaha...it's impossible to be more like Joe. I wish I could, but I could never even dream of having skills like that. I think he was just born with mad skills. His skills get him details on SLR's EB110s, dozens of lambos...while I am here...detailing my big wheel.

I think it is all just practice and experience.
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

i think you did a first class job on the car!!!
                  use what you like and do the best job you can!!
                  now go and take the car away from the owner who let it get like that!
                  joe is being to critical of your work without being next to the car with all his lighting! again, you did a fine job!!
                  mike
                  Mike
                  The Shine Shop
                  410-833-1632
                  Reisterstown MD

Comment

Originally posted by the shine shop View Post
                    i think you did a first class job on the car!!!
                    use what you like and do the best job you can!!
                    now go and take the car away from the owner who let it get like that!
                    joe is being to critical of your work without being next to the car with all his lighting! again, you did a fine job!!
                    mike
                    Thanks
                    Chicago, Illinois

Comment

To my eye the vehicle looks a little milky (for lack of a better word) I admit that camera, cloudy day, or a number of other factors could be the cause.

It definitely looks much better then when you started, no question about it.
                      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
                        To my eye the vehicle looks a little milky
                        Joe what causes the milky look?

Comment

Originally posted by lecchilo View Post
                          90% of the products I have are meg's, including 83, 82, 80, etc... I used Optimum just to experiment... since everyone's agreeing with Joe, I would really like to hear what I can do to improve on it, other than using meg's products...
                          much respect to you that you are taking all this constructive criticism. any pro will always be critical. I believe the milky look was simply just the camera's fault. To improve I would just encourage you to always follow a rotary buffer with a D.A. process or hand work - whatever is your choice. It's VERY difficult to cut out scratches from clear and then go right to wax you always need to polish after cutting. If a product that cuts out heavy scratch like you had on the Porsche looks ready for wax after one step you problably just filled the clear. Try wiping the panel with glass cleaner before your final step to ensure you are TRUELLY swirl free.
                          Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette View Post
                            Joe what causes the milky look?

I am not sure. I would need to be there to see what was up.

I know that Porsche paint on those years and models are very soft and extra care needs to be taken to get it just right.

Here are two examples -

Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Working on an extreme makeover? Show it off/seek advice here. We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers
                            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Is it possible to get those looks with hand used products? I do not have any kind machinary but would appreciate any insight that you could lend.

Comment

I don't know for sure. I have never used anything by hand. Mike Phillips would know better than I.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');