• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vauxhall Astra (1996) - Satin Red Metallic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vauxhall Astra (1996) - Satin Red Metallic

My dad's going to a funeral on Wednesday, asked if I could tidy his car up for him...

This is the car that two months ago had the fully monty of Menzerna products (with the exception of Power Gloss), and underneath the mud the paint was still looking quite healthy. My dad had been washing it regularly to keep it looking good, but alas has inflicted a few minor swilrs back into the paint so an evaluation of the wash technique he's using is on the cards... I suspect its the worn Halfords mitt thats done it, so I bought him a nice new one! The swilrs I am choosing to leave for the time being, they are only mild and fairly few in number, as I've just invested in a rotary and as this car has a healthy 120-150um of paint its going to be one of my first rotary attempts in due course (after some scrap panels of course)

Anyway down to the detail. Here's the before pics:

The car was covered in general dust with a complement of sand and mud from being parked at the beach (Lunan Bay) over the weekend, so first up was a good wash using the two-bucket method and Meguiars Hyper Wash - two mitts, one for lower and one for upper panels. Then rinse using a watering can (I will get a hose one day!). After two months, the FMJ has stopped sheeting the water to a great degree, with the panels being left with standing water, so an update of the protection was going to be needed. The car was dried using two Meguiars Water Magnets.

Next up, I decided to add some gloss and wettness to the shine with an old friend - Megs #7. Still may favourite glaze for the wet shine that it leaves on paintwork and the results it delivers regardless of the colour its use on. A little tricky to remove at time perhaps, but an awsome product IMO. Applied using the PC and a black LC Finishing Pad. Spread on speed 3, and then several fast passes on speed 5 until the glaze oils had been nicely worked into the paint. Then removed using two Cobra microfibres - one to remove residue, and the second to buff up to a shine. This was then followed up with Megs #26 liquid wax. Haven't used this in ages, but I was happy with the results it has achieved on dark colours in the past so brought it out this evening. Applied using the PC and a Meguiars W9006 finishing pad, spreading on speed 3.

A pic of the car during the work:

The plastic trim and tyres were treated with Autoglym #5 Rubber Cleaner Plus, which was demmed by the AG rep last thursday and was the product I was most impressed with. Applied to tyres and trim using a soft bristle paintbrush (you can use a cloth, but I found the control of using various sizes of brush far better). On the tyres I just left the residue to soak and dry, on the trim I let it soak for half an hour and then buffed off the residue. It left a really nice look on tyres and plastic for very little effort. Just need to see what the durability is like now...

After this the car was finsihed off with a spray and wipe from Meguiars Last Touch to remove any wee smudges or light dust anywhere, all in all, just under three hours - this was a quick detail for me!! :lol:

Some reflection shots:

(Spot the neighbours new Mustang in the third shot down... wonder if they want it detailed! )

And finally the completed shots, a nice improvement to the car I thought and looking fit for a ten year old...

Next up on this car will be me with the rotary! (After some practice!)
    "A thing of beauty is a joy for ever: Its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness; .... "

Car looks great

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');