• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blinded by the Shine!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is too cool! You can start a new career. Just go around to the boat shops and detail boats they have on the showroom floor. Bet they would sell more boats, but I am sure people would complain when their boats don't look as good.
    My Black '05 GTO

The3dwizard at DAZ3D Productions

Comment

Hey,

Something I discovered on the last fishing trip. Usually when I get a fish close to the boat, the fish get spooked and take out line. But.... with the boat so shiny and the lake so clear, when the fish saw the boat this time, they went nuts!!!!! To make matters even more interesting, a fish tried to jump and hit the bottom of the boat!!! OUCH! Maybe Meguiar's should make little tags that can be placed on the fish that say..."I have been Meguiarized!!"

Hmmm...maybe I should not take the boat on the ocean...oh Moby.....

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
        Hey,

Something I discovered on the last fishing trip. Usually when I get a fish close to the boat, the fish get spooked and take out line. But.... with the boat so shiny and the lake so clear, when the fish saw the boat this time, they went nuts!!!!! To make matters even more interesting, a fish tried to jump and hit the bottom of the boat!!! OUCH! Maybe Meguiar's should make little tags that can be placed on the fish that say..."I have been Meguiarized!!"

Hmmm...maybe I should not take the boat on the ocean...oh Moby.....

Tim
        This should be a fishing tip on those outdoors shows they have on ESPN. I scan just see all the fishermen that have aluminum boats polishing their hulls with NXT Metal Polysh!

Do you QD your boat when you pull it out of the water? Maybe you should keep some Speed Detailer in the tackle box.

RamAirV1
        2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
        2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
          This should be a fishing tip on those outdoors shows they have on ESPN. I scan just see all the fishermen that have aluminum boats polishing their hulls with NXT Metal Polysh!

Do you QD your boat when you pull it out of the water? Maybe you should keep some Speed Detailer in the tackle box.

RamAirV1
          I am one step ahead on that one....LOL! Here are my supplies I take with camping! You never know when you might have to polish/clean/wax something!!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
            [B]I am one step ahead on that one....LOL! Here are my supplies I take with camping! You never know when you might have to polish/clean/wax something!!
            Man that is sick, someone needs to seek medical attention. I hope it is not contagious
            My Black '05 GTO

The3dwizard at DAZ3D Productions

Comment

ahhhhhh you are a raskal Tim

Bryan

PS so what did you get for your B/Day.............I'll just keep asking eh

Comment

Hey Bryan,

What did I get for my birthday????...WAX!...and a couple of shirts!

Hey the3dwizard

Contagious? Yep! It sure is!!!

Tim

Comment

Thanks, 2Hotford for taking the time to post such a dramatic before and after post. It has given me something to strive for. I recently purchased a custom canopy made of aluminum. Have spent hours on it so far. Althouhg there is a change the results are so much less dramatic that yours.

I will purchase all the items and be prepared for the mess. Shine is where it is at and you have shown me possibilities.

Thanks again!!!
                  Last edited by cwcad; Aug 11, 2006, 06:22 AM.
                  cwcad

Say what you do...Do what you say!

Comment

There's one thing that even the best of Biologists still haven't been able to figure out. Why are animals so attracted to the Meguiar's shine? Even insects, rodents, arachnids, etc. are all supremely attracted to my vehicle after a good buff with Meguiar's.

I guess it's the eighth wonder of the world-Why are animals so attracted to the Meguiar's shine?
                    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                    2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by pcfxer
                      There's one thing that even the best of Biologists still haven't been able to figure out. Why are animals so attracted to the Meguiar's shine? Even insects, rodents, arachnids, etc. are all supremely attracted to my vehicle after a good buff with Meguiar's.

I guess it's the eighth wonder of the world-Why are animals so attracted to the Meguiar's shine?
                      I have no idea. But I can tell you, I have caught a LOT of fish with that boat! Plus, while it is on my truck, I get to watch the sun reflect off if into my neighbors front window!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by cwcad
                        Thanks, 2Hotford for taking the time to post such a dramatic before and after post. It has given me something to strive for. I recently purchased a custom canopy made of aluminum. Have spent hours on it so far. Althouhg there is a change the results are so much less dramatic that yours.

I will purchase all the items and be prepared for the mess. Shine is where it is at and you have shown me possibilities.

Thanks again!!!
                        Hey cwcad

It has been a while! How are you doing???

I appreciate the kind the words. Thanks again!

Tim

Comment

Re: Blinded by the Shine!

Hey first post for me...

Anyways, should you ever happen to come accross anouther aluminum boat such as this, I would try acidizing it before polishing it. That will get rid of almost all the oxidization making it much easier to polish.

Be warned, acid isn't easy to use, and you need some safety equpiment to do it. And if you mess up, and leave it on to long you can end up with some permenent streaks on the metal.

I would say take it to an 18 wheeler truck wash in your area. Something that size should be very quick to do, and pretty cheap. I would charge $15 or so for a job that size, which is much cheaper then buying the product it self since I have only ever seen it in 5 gallon drums, and you only need maybe a couple cups for that boat.

I've done this my self on canoes and they come out pretty shinny, though no where as close as what you did. But it would make the real job of polishing much quicker.

Comment

That is really nice, was considering getting into the detail business as I am sick of being in Law Enforcement.

I had a question as how to detail aluminum and you answered my question. I was talking the Airstream trailers. Just think what one of those would look like all shined up.

Thanks
                            Aaron
                            Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the comments. I have the utmost respect for people in law enforcement as that can be a very difficult job to do!

Polishing aluminum is both difficult and MESSY! But the rewards are awesome!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford View Post
                                Hey Aaron,

Thanks for the comments. I have the utmost respect for people in law enforcement as that can be a very difficult job to do!

Tim
                                Thanks, it is hard, I am assigned the Jail (we have a patrol div. and a jail div in our dept) and have been for 12+ years and tired of it. If I can hang on for 12 more years I could retire with 24 years of service. I am assigned the court division (bailiff) for this year, gonna try to stay as long as I can, the jail setting can get old after a while.

That boat looks great, I want to polish my Dads boat up now, his is a aluminum Jet boat. He is a pig and it looks like ****.

Thanks again for the write up.

Aaron
                                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');