• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dirk Diggler rides again! ’77 Corvette, full wet sand and buff by Rasky’s Auto Detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirk Diggler rides again! ’77 Corvette, full wet sand and buff by Rasky’s Auto Detail

For those of you who may be wondering who Drik Diggler is, I strongly recommend renting the movie “Boogie Nights”

This 1977 Corvette belongs to the mother of my roommate. The car has been in the family for over 20 years now, but unfortunately it has not been driven in years. Since his mother can no longer drive the car they decided to get it running so they could try and sell it. As most of you already know, cars are meant to be driven, and when they are left to sit for long periods of time things start to go bad. Since my roommate is very mechanically inclined he offered to fix the parts that needed to be replaced prior to sale and also asked me if I’d help him restore the finish. Obviously I couldn’t say no to working on Dirk’s car!

It had been over 10 years since the car was repainted and there was noticeable shrink in the paint as well as many washed induced swirls from over the years. Having talked with the painter we learned that there was at least 3 coats of clear used when it was painted and the car had only been lightly sanded after the initial repaint…which meant we should have a safe amount of paint to work with.

Here is the car prior to correction. As you can see there is heavy marring and light oxidation in the paint.

Here you can see the rough distorted texture of the paint as a result of the shrinking over the last 10 years.

We first did a few test panels using various grit paper to determine which route we wanted to go with.

The deciding sanding process was to use the following:
    • 3M 1500 grit on the PCXP
    • Mirka Abralon 2000 grit on the PCXP
    • Mirka Abralon 4000 grit on the PCXP

Initially I had planned to remove the sanding scratches with the PCXP and Surbuf pads as it worked effortlessly in my test panel. I also felt it was a tool my roommate could handle. However, once I started looking at all the sharp edges it was clear that the rotary would be the better option as it allows me to buff off/away from the edges, which is necessary when trying to remove sanding scratches close to the edge.

Sanded pics

Testing out the Surbuf pads on the door

The deciding polishing process for the sanding scratch removal was as follows:

• M105 via rotary with Meguiars Solo wool pad (finished out very nice too)
    • Menzerna Power Finish via PCXP and Cyan LC pad (roommate helped with this step)
    • Menzerna 106fa via rotary and Crimson LC pad

Our choice for LSP was Blackfire Wet-Diamond, tires were clean with Optimum Power Clean and dressed with Meguiars Hyper Dressing. All chrome trim was polished with Optimum Metal Polish.

Keep in mind this job was really under the gun, which limited the amount of pics I was able to take. The work on this car took place over 3 evenings after we both finished with our regular jobs. The idea was to get the car done by Friday so that he could drive it home for a family wedding to show his mom and family. A total of 15hrs were spent on this job, which is far less than I would normally spend as I like to take my time and hate being rushed. I did have the help of my roommate though, and he handled all the fine detailing and even helped with the 2nd polishing step. We finally finished late Thursday night and I came back on my lunch break Friday afternoon to take some sun pics before he left town. I decided to do a quick wipe down with some Z8 to remove any light dust which ended up streaking the paint a little and I really didn’t have time to deal with it before taking the pics…I’m sure you can see it in a few of them…
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Re: Dirk Diggler rides again! ’77 Corvette, full wet sand and buff by Rasky’s Auto De

After pics

As always, thank you for taking the time to view my work.

Rasky
    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Re: Dirk Diggler rides again! ’77 Corvette, full wet sand and buff by Rasky’s Auto De

Wow.

Great work Rasky. That red is glowing.
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Excellent rescue, that paint looks amazing! Good work, as always

Comment

Awesome results.
          Shawn - Final Touch Auto Detail
          Houston Area Mobile Detailing
          www.FinalTouchAutoDetail.com

Comment

Incredible results Chad. That is now one good lookin' vette.
            Don
            "In the game of life, I have no need for tickets on the 50-yard line, I brought my shoes, I came to play." unknown

http://www.facebook.com/pages/OC-Det...7770507?v=wall

Comment

From average to awesome. It looks great now.
              Hopefully the new owner drives it and takes care of the paint.

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Bill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my roommate didn't just end up buying it from his mom. He has a couple grand tied into it now and these cars don't sell real well....especially not right now. I know he really wants to keep it, but with him owning 3 motorcycles right now I can't imagine it would get much use.
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
                  Bill, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if my roommate didn't just end up buying it from his mom. He has a couple grand tied into it now and these cars don't sell real well....especially not right now. I know he really wants to keep it, but with him owning 3 motorcycles right now I can't imagine it would get much use.
                  I know I wouldn't want to sell it, especially if I knew the history of the car and had money into it.

I ride a motorcycle as well, and I'll tell you I love having my '80 Camaro equally as well. On really hot days, I like wearing shorts, and cruising with the t-tops off. On cool nights I like to turn on the heater, with the t-tops off . I've road a motorcycle for 23 years, so I love it too, but I tend to be more picky of the weather. With the car, as long as it's not raining or snowing the weather is always good. Classic car insurance is also dirt cheap (at least it is in Canada)... $120 for insurance for a year.

I hope your buddy keeps the car. I haven't seen the engine or the interior, but the body now looks brand new. He can keep it a few years, enjoy it and sell it later for more money, so it's not like it's going to cost him anything other than space and time.

Comment

Chad , great work once again. The vette looks fantastic. I hope that your roommate can swing keeping the vette. It would be a shame to let it go.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Now that's some serious work, Chad. Looks insane on the afters and thats just 3 nights of work.
                      Learning new things everyday

Comment

Nice save

Gotta love a shiny red Corvette
                        -Bob
                        NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

How much are they selling it for?
                          Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
                            Chad , great work once again. The vette looks fantastic. I hope that your roommate can swing keeping the vette. It would be a shame to let it go.
                            Thanks JAM!

Originally posted by TimG View Post
                            Now that's some serious work, Chad. Looks insane on the afters and thats just 3 nights of work.
                            Thanks Tim!

It was a long week that's for sure....come Friday I was dead tired! For some reason I simply cannot go to bed directly after working on a car. I toss and turn for hours and then have dreams about the vehicle I'm working on.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                            Nice save

Gotta love a shiny red Corvette
                            LOL! Thanks Bob!

Originally posted by Erik Mejia View Post
                            How much are they selling it for?
                            I think he'd like to get $12k after all the work he just did.

It's got 82,xxx original miles (L48/auto). The interior is in great shape and the only area I saw that needed work was the drivers side carpet which has a hole worn from the heal of her shoes. I know he just performed around $3k in mechanical work, which is almost all parts as he did all the work minus the alignment (rear end, brakes, master cylinder, shocks, drive shaft, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, air/fuel filter, and I believe a few bushings...exhaust was also replaced prior to going in storage so it's like new too).
                            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Dirk's car was ORANGE!!!

Lol.

great job, now that you had mentioned it, I did notice the shrinking of the paint.

I also wished the car came with a young, coked up Julianne Moore..... mmhmm.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');