• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1986 Toyota MR2 -- 56K Beware!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Toyota MR2 -- 56K Beware!!

I bought this car for $75, I got a parts car for essentially free and went to work. It was sitting in a field for five years because of of a collapsed clutch pressure plate. After the following the car started and drove fine,

Gas Tank,
    Fuel Pump,
    Various filters and hoses,
    New Coolant pipes under car (Mid Engine),
    New Clutch,
    New Clutch hydraulic system,
    New Brakes,
    New tires,
    New suspension bushings,
    Alternator,
    Starter,
    Probably other things I cant remember,
    Never mind cant remember what I was going to put here...
    Or here...

Now I needed to repair the extensive damage to the interior. The drivers side window had been down for FIVE YEARS... I cannot explain why they left the window down... After I replaced the battery terminals (and the battery..), the window rolled up... It was far too bad to fix, the seats were two tone grey and black.... They were now green and black...........
    Yuck....

After replacing everything but the dash and various hard plastic bits, I went to work cleaning, and it looks mint!

(No current interior pics...)

Now onto the.... uh... outside....

Here is an in progress shot of the interior,

Thanks to, Meguiars Interior Quick Detailer, and Meguiars Leather conditioner.

Some in progress shots, before I removed what rust I could without serious metal work, and before wax.

After some ColorX as a temporary protective measure, It did a good job. But by itself (at least under my extreme circumstances) I knew I could get a better finish using the Deep Crystal system. Although I have to say ColorX is a very impressive product!

Finally got around to using my Deep Crystal Cleaner and Polish, This is after using DC#1 and DC#2

Dont ever underestimate the consumer line of Megiuars products!

Engine bay, after, (Didnt think to take before pictures...)

Now it is my nice looking daily driver! With 150,000 miles on the clock this Toyota is just getting broken in!!

Re: 1986 Toyota MR2 -- 56K Beware!!

Nice save!

Car guys are the original environmentalist. By saving this car and putting it back on the road you've increased the service life of the car against all the time, money and resources it took to manufacture the car and all it's components from around the world in the first places versus buying a new car and all the time money and resources it takes to create a new car not too mention any new waste and/or pollution.

Cool car too, don't see many of the older ones on the road very often especially in as good as shape as this one.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Heh,
      Please ignore my rust spot on the roof! Its not quite as bad as it looks, after removing the windsheild trim I can see it better, and a good sanding will eliminate it completely!

I didnt realize it stood out quite that much...

I have finished the waxing process, I started Deep Crystal earlier today. I finished with Gold Class, and after a few hours topped with NXT. Late tommorow I will add another coat of NXT, the paint already looks like liquid! It has a very rich color. And I cant wait to see it in the daylight, and take come more picture!

This isnt my first extreme makeover, I have done a dozen or more. This is easily the most rewarding one though. And the most documented... With gas prices steady at $3.99 for a gallon of 87 octane, I am positively loving 38 mpg!

Oh and Mike, you cannot forget that by keeping it on the road I am keeping it out of a salvage yard. Where it would most likely leak dangerous fluids into the local groundwater, and end up leaving glass and plastic pieces on the ground where they will never decompose. It also saves the atmosphere from additional pollutants from the crusher expelling fuel as well as the truck that will transport it to wherever they recycle cars.

I am sure there is more that is wasted during the recycling process, but truth be told, I am simply happy this car didnt get crushed. Its a blast to drive and worth every penny!

Comment

Nice save. great work. Those are the best toyotas made. I agree, you can buy older 80's and 70's car for dirt cheap and run forever. Heck my auto teacher has a mustang 2 sitting and once it gets a new gas tank he is going to drive that around to run arons.
        Alex
        1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
        1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Love the older jap cars nice motor mate great pics
          http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...b029d544_1.gifhttp://www.auto-etc.com

http://www.auto-etc.com/

Comment

Great save. The Toyota looks like it belongs on the showroom floor. Great work. Enjoy it!
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Great work and save! Love pictures like these.

Where about's in dayton are you at? That's where I'm originally from,still have famaily there and go back from time to time.
              ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
              You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
              Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Sweet! Great save indeed!! Tht lil engine is legendary for its small capacity with good powerband . Tune it right and you'll have great fun with it.

Tim
                Learning new things everyday

Comment

Awesome save!
                  Job well done

Comment

Great save, great car.

Mike hit it right on the money.
                    Mike Phillips-.....Car guys are the original environmentalist. By saving this car and putting it back on the road you've increased the service life of the car against all the time, money and resources it took to manufacture the car and all it's components from around the world in the first places versus buying a new car and all the time money and resources it takes to create a new car not too mention any new waste and/or pollution.....
                    Thats awesome

Good show
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Wow! Absolutely amazing. And this was all by hand?!

Comment

Nice work! Cool car too!
                        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by APR Tuned View Post
                          Wow! Absolutely amazing. And this was all by hand?!

Entirely by hand, the extreme makeover I am doing currently actually requires a rotary buffer, so I have bought one finally. It is a 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5 (The two door aerodynamic looking ones, not the ugly four door...) I thought for sure it had clear coat failure on the hood, but after a test spot and a few hours, I got it to come back to life. After it took two hours to buff a 4inch x 6inch section, I decided the best investment to do the entire hood would be a buffer.

I like working by hand, its more of an intimate process, and even though I have a buffer, I still find myself doing 90% of the work by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by stang_krazy View Post
                            Great work and save! Love pictures like these.

Where about's in dayton are you at? That's where I'm originally from,still have famaily there and go back from time to time.

I actually live about twenty minutes north of Dayton in a small town called New Carlisle. I used to live in Dayton as well, but even the nicer areas are getting bad. As a matter of fact I lived in a nice neighborhood where everyone knew everybody, houses looked nice... I watched the news just the other night and there was a shooting two houses down from my old place!! I guess I got out in time! I love the country though... Less neighbors that stare at you while you buff out some old crappy looking car!

Comment

Originally posted by lokirx706 View Post
                              Entirely by hand, the extreme makeover I am doing currently actually requires a rotary buffer, so I have bought one finally. It is a 1989 Toyota Corolla SR5 (The two door aerodynamic looking ones, not the ugly four door...) I thought for sure it had clear coat failure on the hood, but after a test spot and a few hours, I got it to come back to life. After it took two hours to buff a 4inch x 6inch section, I decided the best investment to do the entire hood would be a buffer.

I like working by hand, its more of an intimate process, and even though I have a buffer, I still find myself doing 90% of the work by hand.
                              Awesome before and after! I sure wish the clear coat finishes on the late model cars were that easy to correct

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');