• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donzi Ragazza - 21ft of Detailing Fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donzi Ragazza - 21ft of Detailing Fun

Well, I was over at a friend's house last week when his parents asked me to detail their boat.

So, to make things a little more interesting, this was my first boat detail. And, the Marine Line is difficult to obtain without placing an order.

The boat is a 21ft 1988 Donzi Ragazza with a gelcoat white and red two-tone paint scheme. The trailer was a solid red single stage with peeling decals. The owners requested that I leave the decals alone. Fortunately, I didn't have to clean the cover.

Products used:
    -GC Wash - two bucket
    -Aggressive Clay
    -M105, M84, and M85
    -Solo Heavy and Light Cut wool pads on the Makita
    -M80
    -NXT 2.0

Process - aka Trial and Error:

First off was the frame. The red single stage was laid down on a rough steel frame and hadn't faired well. M105 and a Solo Light Cut Wool pad removed the oxidation. This was followed up with M80 and a W8006 polishing pad.

Here is where the fun begins...

The hull had plenty of serious rotary swirls. It was almost as if the previous detailer had taken a dry cutting pad and attempted to polish the paint. Holograms are fairly easy to remove, but this was bad. Plus, there were swirls imbedded in there, too. This is a great example of why you should never buff dry and use a clean pad.

Another view:

I started out using M105 and a Solo Light Cut wool pad. This worked alright, but something else was needed. It was quickly apparent that the paint was hard as nails. Next was M84 and a Solo Light Cut wool pad. This worked much better, but after a few passes in one area, something more aggressive was need.

I decided that...

...we're gonna need a bigger hammer.

Finally, after two hours of testing polishes, compounds and pads, I found a combination that would remove the marks!!! The M85 and Solo Heavy Cut Wool pad worked great. It just goes to show you that the 'older' style compounds still work well. Then, M80 further refined the surface, while NXT 2.0 added the protection.

The red area had water run off the cover which stained the paint. Once again, M85 and a Solo Heavy Cut Wool pad removed the staining while M80 finished the surface

Here are the afters:

The fenders polished out pretty well.

Remember all the rotary markings? Where did they go?

The staining near the lettering took a couple passes, but it was eventually removed.

My favorite reflection shot:

Overall, that was a long day... Believe me, it's hard to keep the rotary flat on those weird hull angles. I started at eight and finished the exterior twelve hours later (two hours later, I finished the interior). Oh yeah...my thumbs decided to swell up later on...

The results were impressive, but I'm not sure if I would do something like this again.
    Chris
    Dasher Detailing Services

Re: Donzi Ragazza - 21ft of Detailing Fun

Wow, the boat looks fantastic. What a improvement. Love the reflection shots. Hope your thumbs recover. Great job. Way to go.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Looks good Chris! Way to figure out what worked.

Take it easy with that thumb. No video games for you!
      Scott

Comment

Very nice job!
        It turned out nice

Comment

looks great. awesome work. what kind of motor, v-8?
          Alex
          1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
          1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
          1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

Awesome job Chris! I've done my share of boats in the past and it's definitely some back breaking work, especially with a rotary and an agressive compound!

I'm sure you are very sore today!

Great reflection shots too, way to go!
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Nice save Chris!

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
              but I'm not sure if I would do something like this again.
              Yeah been there and done that... don't think I want to do it again... boat have lots of acreage...
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Guys!

Couldn't agree with you more, Mike. The higher pay is nice, but it takes so much to detail one. For example, I used an entire quart of M85, 3/4 of a 32oz of M80, and a quarter of my NXT 2.0 bottle
                Chris
                Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');