• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piggy Bank.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piggy Bank.....

Okay, with weather a factor in our region, I've taken detailing to another level, or...... a different level.....if you will.

I received this piggy bank a lot of years ago, say 35 years ago when I was about 4yrs old. It's a brass bank, plated with I'm sure brass. Over time the brass plating has scratched off and the underlying brass oxidized. The little jewels that were the eyes and nose fell out long ago. I took some cut up terry cloths for some good bite and proceeded to polish the bank up. I'm sure my dad would freak if he saw it, I think it was his when he was a wee lad, or so I was told.

Process:
    Taken apart
    Hot Rims Meguiars Mag and Aluminum Polish inside and out
    Used Terry Cloth as the applicator cut in squares.
    re-assembled

Before and After:

Before and After: inside

What a messy job that little guy was, can't imagine doing something like say a......BOAT! (Tim: AKA 2Hotford Blinded by the shine)

I like this shot! (but you can see the plating coming off, I may figure out a way to remove it all)

The polish is so easy to use, it's not even funny .

L8R

Aaron
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Re: Piggy Bank.....

Aaron great job on the piggy bank. Now that its all cleaned up. It's time to fill it. Lol Great job. Way to go.
    quality creates its own demand

Comment

That's just great! Good work!

I know why the bank is empty too! It's all those detailing products.
      Scott

Comment

Well done. Now my brass lamp is jealous, it's just behind me. it's about six feet tall , i think it has fifty years or so, it's from my dad. i will have to keep a day for it .

Comment

Originally posted by J. A. Michaels View Post
          Aaron great job on the piggy bank. Now that its all cleaned up. It's time to fill it. Lol Great job. Way to go.
          Got to keep the wife out of my wallet

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post
          That's just great! Good work!

I know why the bank is empty too! It's all those detailing products.
          Yeah, no kidding, I started to have to re-arrange it so it will fit, our back room is not very big and stuffed with junk.

Originally posted by G Force View Post
          Well done. Now my brass lamp is jealous, it's just behind me. it's about six feet tall , i think it has fifty years or so, it's from my dad. i will have to keep a day for it .
          Oy, my hands were black by the time I was done doing the bank. Not too long ago, it was in pieces in a bag in one of my tool boxes, I found some hardware at our local Ace hardware that usually has one of everything. It was fun to put it back together.

Thanks guys.

Aaron

Comment

Don't go watching Antique Roadshow...You will depress yourself when you find out how much value you cost yourself by cleaning it up Nice job however

Comment

Brand New

Comment

it looks great!
                words of advice though, cleaning antiques usually hurts the value (even if it looks a lot better). I would have done the same though.

but if you put the same exact photos and text on a antique site, you'd get a opposite response.

Once again, I'd do the same, and it looks excellent.

BTW, i believe the aged metal look is called "patina"

-nick
                Luck is probability taken personally!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
                  Don't go watching Antique Roadshow...You will depress yourself when you find out how much value you cost yourself by cleaning it up Nice job however
                  Originally posted by CarbonBlack View Post
                  it looks great!
                  words of advice though, cleaning antiques usually hurts the value (even if it looks a lot better). I would have done the same though.

but if you put the same exact photos and text on a antique site, you'd get a opposite response.

Once again, I'd do the same, and it looks excellent.

BTW, i believe the aged metal look is called "patina"

-nick
                  I do know that cleaning such items is a no no, but I won't be putting this on eBay anytime soon or selling. It's a family heirloom and will be on my dresser where I will put my change in

Thanks for the comments.

Aaron

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');