• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100,000 Mile Endurance Mercury Comet !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 100,000 Mile Endurance Mercury Comet !!

S.S.

Next time I see H.G, I'll ask if he has any news clippings. I'm sure that some of the car mags of the day did articles about the endurance run.

Johnny

Comment

I would enjoy seeing them very much. Thank you.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I just found this!!!! I see the car I detailed in it!!! WAAAY COOL!
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Wow, what an amazing restoration!
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Thanks for finding and sharing the video, Joe! Your first posts were prior to my joining here, so this was my first view of your work to the Merc. I was just a pre-teen young gearhead at the time, but still have some recollections of the event, or at least the commercials that followed. That endurance test was a significant event in automotive history for a number of reasons: Prevailing wisdom maintained that the recently introduced compact cars weren't substantial enough for extended highway driving, so Mercury was out to do some mythbusting. In addition to Mercury, Firestone used the test as an advertising campaign for its tires. A chorus of men sang the praises of Firestone tires in a radio commercial- "one hundred thousand miles at a hundred miles an hour", which was mimicked by Dennis Gage and Jay Leno in a recent episode of "My Classic Car". In addition, Ford and Firestone recruited a bunch of experienced NASCAR drivers to pilot the cars through the testing and paid them well for the times. Back in those days, before corporate megabuck sponsors, even NASCAR's best shoes were still unable to earn a decent living without a supplemental job. The paychecks issued for that project kept a quite a few from folding their tent and abandoning their hopes of superspeedway stardom.
            Once again, thanks for posting your project and the related video. I've followed your posts and I know you do some famous vehicles on a regular basis, but being a bit younger than I, I don't know if you truly knew what a memorable piece of history you were able to massage.

Bill

Comment

Bill thank you for sharing your memories!!!!!

Comment

I believe we have discovered photos of this car at the World's Fair in New York. The photos are dated September 1964.
                I also noticed the May 19th date on the oil change sticker.... is just a short time after the World's Fair had it's grand opening on April 22nd. And the initials W.E.F. at the bottom of the sticker-- I wonder if that ties somehow to World's Fair.
                Notice in our World's Fair pictures- the panel on the passenger side is white, but on the driver's side it's blue--- just like your car.
                At the World's Fair it was displayed on a revolving turntable, right next to another revolving turntable showing a Mustang. The endurance Comet seems to have only been displayed during the 1964 season--- there was a standard '65 model year Comet in it's place during the 1965 season.

Comment

That has to be it!!! WOW! Very cool! This thread is getting better and better!!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');