• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M21, a re-appraisal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M21, a re-appraisal

OK, NOW I see what everyone was all excited about.

I've been keeping the Miata outside, and I need EXTREME protection from pollen and tree sap. I'm washing the car as needed to keep that stuff from damaging the paint, which means 2-4 times a week; at the beginning of the month I #21'd the car.

TREMENDOUSLY easy to use; wipe on, wipe off.

EXCEPTIONAL slickness, even after probably 6 washes (NXT, #00, or #62). It feels like I have something on my fingers, like a layer of vaseline or glycerine.

GREAT look, not as deep and dark as #26 but very clean, wet, and glossy, with strong reflections. ALL Meguiar's LSPs share a family look, a look consisting of a balance of gloss, jetting, reflection and depth. #21 is within that family with a tilt toward gloss. #26 is within that family with a tilt toward depth.

SUPERIOR protection; bugs hose off the nose, and most sap and pollen is removed with the initial hose blast, leaving very few contaminants to be moved around by the washing utensils. Stuff doesn't stick easily to #21; I had trouble getting tape to stick to it when putting numbers on at the autocross.

The trade off of maximum depth for extended protection is a good one, IMO, especially with the differences in appearance so minor. I very well might be ordering the half gallon of this one.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Thanks for the write up. I would tend to agree with you. HOw do you think it compares to NXT? Have you used the NXT paste yet? If so, how does it compare to the #21.

BTW, the Spray Booster Wax works great with #21, as does the Speed Detailer.

When using the #21, do you find tree sap easy to remove with just a QD? I used to be able to do that but the tree sap was worse last summer. Even with MPPP, I had trouble with tree sap not coming off so the tree sap issue was not just with the NXT liquid.

Meguairs says that NXT Tech Wax is their best protecting wax, but it seems like the #21 is at least the equal of it. Of course they reserve the right to change specs at any time, and that is a good thing. Maybe the #21 was tweaked to give a little extra protection.

I only have the sample left but there is enough to try on the roof and hood.

The #21 has a different look in bright sunlight than NXT. Maybe the sun highlights the reflectivity of it. The NXT is deeper and darker though, at least that is my impression. When Tim topped #21 with NXT the look was amazing. I have to try it on Impulse Blue!

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Thanks for the writeup Mosca.......I always look forward to your reports.
      r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
        Thanks for the write up. I would tend to agree with you. HOw do you think it compares to NXT? Have you used the NXT paste yet? If so, how does it compare to the #21.

BTW, the Spray Booster Wax works great with #21, as does the Speed Detailer.

When using the #21, do you find tree sap easy to remove with just a QD? I used to be able to do that but the tree sap was worse last summer. Even with MPPP, I had trouble with tree sap not coming off so the tree sap issue was not just with the NXT liquid.

Meguairs says that NXT Tech Wax is their best protecting wax, but it seems like the #21 is at least the equal of it. Of course they reserve the right to change specs at any time, and that is a good thing. Maybe the #21 was tweaked to give a little extra protection.

I only have the sample left but there is enough to try on the roof and hood.

The #21 has a different look in bright sunlight than NXT. Maybe the sun highlights the reflectivity of it. The NXT is deeper and darker though, at least that is my impression. When Tim topped #21 with NXT the look was amazing. I have to try it on Impulse Blue!

RamAirV1

I haven't tried getting off the sap with a QD; the trees are leaving so much pollen along with the sap that I'm using the hose to soak everything down. But most sticky stuff, be it sap, bugs, bird droppings or bee excrement (we get a lot of that here) hoses right off. I might have a different tree, though. One's a silver maple, but I don't know what the other one is. I'm thinking sycamore.

My #21 is a 12oz sample from the guy in Arizona; I've had it a while now, so it's probably from the initial batch. Although NXT may offer longer lasting protection, I'm liking #21's balance of almost as long protection with less maintenance to keep almost as good a look. I agree with your assessment of the looks of #21 and NXT. As far as the comparison of the two products, my feeling is that #21 is a more integrated product but NXT looks a little bit better, with the cost of that extra look being extra maintenance (Spray Booster, etc). Now with two cars to maintain and an extra hour of driving added to an already 12 hour long workday, I'm needing that one less wax session per month.

I used to prefer paste waxes, but I'm now pretty strongly in favor of liquids. For me it's the cross contamination issue. Too many times I've gotten little specks of dirt in the paste can. I keep dozens of applicators around so that if I drop one or if one picks up specks from the rocker panel I can pitch it, but I hate looking into that can of wax and seeing little specks of dirt from when I kept the applicator one panel too long.

Meguiar's strongest suit is balance. A beauty product without superior protection won't make the cut; a durable product without excellent beauty won't make the cut. #21 scores very highly on both marks for me.

Tom
        As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Tom, I have a jug of #21 on the way over the Pacific somewhere.

Until it arrives I have to go with your collective experiences. What do you mean when you say "NXT looks a little bit better"? I was hoping #21 would have a better look (as subjective as that is).

Which highlights flake better? NXT tends to mute it a bit...must be the component that helps fill-in swirls.
          Paul Marmarinos
          Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
          "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

The #21 has an excellent look. NXT has more of a glow, this has more of a reflection. Both are super wet-looking. The #21 is closer to #16, NXT is closer to #26. That might help in explaining what I see. #21 holds its initial properties of appearance and slickness much longer.

For a sealant to impress me on my red car takes a lot. I have lots of confidence in both. As much as I love #26, I find myself reaching for the synthetics (#21, NXT, ColorX) almost all the time anymore.

Tom

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');