• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revisited an old friend: #20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisited an old friend: #20

Some background: I used to have a demo. So I could drive the demo and keep my car in the garage, and I could have someone else keep the demo clean; when it got covered with sap and pollen, I could put it on the cleanup schedule and collect the keys before leaving work.

THAT was cool.

But I knew I was going to quit back in February, so I gave up the demo and leased a new car. Now my drive is about 80 miles a day, so I have to drive the Miata to work in the summer or run the miles up on the leased car. So the Miata used to be garage kept, but now gets driven (but overnights in the garage), and the Subaru sits outside under a tree and gets covered with tree and bird junk all day long.

So since the Sube is outside under a tree 24/7, I have to wax it more often. And I decided that #20 would be the perfect product for this Satin Pearl White car.

Temp today was almost 90*, and it was humid.

I pulled the car into the shade and washed with #62, and clayed to make sure I had all the sap off the car. I then pulled in the garage and applied the product, first with a mf-covered sponge and then with a GC applicator. I much prefer the regular foam applicators; the mf applicators take too much effort to slide over the paint and soak up too much product into the sponge itself. I had a couple fans going as I worked.

I forgot just how easy #20 is to use! It spreads quickly, thinly, and easily. After applying the product to the car, I did the tires and the windows. By that time the #20 had hazed completely.

It comes off as easily as it goes on. I used the Supreme Shine microfibers and the Ultimate Wipes, with the edge by far going to the Supreme Shines; the longer nap works better with the fine residue left by the #20. Total time to apply the product was about 25 minutes, during the 20 minute wait to haze I did the windows and tires, and total time to remove was maybe 10. It really wipes right off with almost no effort!

The finish is very smooth and slick and slippery, and the look is very bright and shiny, perfect for this big ice cream bar of a car. I'm hoping for a couple months durability from this product.

I'd take pictures, but they'll look like all the other pictures I've taken of the car. It's really, really clean and white.

I might start putting the Sube in the garage, but I am leery of putting the Miata outside 24/7; it's so well kept for a '97!

With all the hubbub about #21 and NXT and the new accessories, it's important to remember that there are some really fantastic "legacy" products still available. #20 is maybe the easiest sealant I've ever used, and it looks great and lasts a long time! Because of that, I'll most likely stick with this on the Sube.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Great write-up! #20 always was a great product, and still is! I like to use it on wheels due to the quick dry time and ease of removal. Tim just did his trailer with it and it looks great!

Before NXT, I always used MPPP on my black Trans Am. But I have to say, #20 topped with #26 looked just as good, and that was an easier combination to use in colder weather.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Last night I did the second coat to ensure complete coverage; it also has that "bugs wipe right off" feature when I qd'd it.

Nice stuff. I'm in a quandary; I have a 12oz bottle of #21, I have NXT, I have new GC, and all the others. Which is best? None of them, they're all great in their own way. I like this for its smooth-as-a-baby's bottom feel. And on the white-white-white car, it's a good look.

Tom
      As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

This past weekend I used #20 on our green CRV. Ever since I have been thinking that this product doesn't get as much attention as it deserves. It is easy on/ easy off and looks good, can't ask for much more. I keep trying differant waxes/sealants and keep coming back to #20. Top it off with a coat of #16 (so I can watch the water beads dance on the hood when driving in the rain) then just stand back and admire.
        Don't take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');