• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another #21 Sealant Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another #21 Sealant Review

After reading scrub's review, I believe he did an outstanding job in summarizing the physical features of the product and in the interest of not wanting to be repetitive, I will get straight to the point.

My Test bed: 1985 Toyota, #16 after 4 months.

To prep, I applied #80 via rotary and a W-8000 polishing pad. I followed with #80 via PC at 5 and a W-8006 polishing pad. I applied #21 via PC and a W-9000 finishing pad at 4. It went on very evenly and a little product spread over a large area.

I waited for about 30 minutes and removed with a Supreme Shine microfiber cloth. It removed very easily with no visible streaking (which is amazing, considering that nearly ever product streaks on my truck). Here are a couple after shots. Sorry about the lack of sun, I'll try to get some later this week, if it decides to stop raining.

Overall, I was very impressed with this sealant. I noticed that the surface was very smooth after the application and the depth was really quite impressive. I'll be sure to keep you posted on long-term durability. I would also like to thank Mike Phillips and Meguiar's for giving me the opportunity to sample the product, you guys have a winner.
    Last edited by travisdecpn; Mar 20, 2005, 12:29 AM.

Thanks travisdecpn.

I think the hood looks has a bit depth, has a bit more reflection, and the red looks brighter. Does it appear that way in person?

I was going to say the paint looked "wet", but after the first pic...

Was there any repairs needed that required the #80 and rotary? The surface looked great to begin with.

Comment

Thanks scrub. The paint does seem to have some additional depth as opposed to #16. As for corrections, I have been fighting some swirls with the PC, and finally decided to bring out the rotary and finish them off. I like #21 on red, it gives it that great balance of depth and shine, just wish I had some sun shots.

Comment

Dang! your truck finish looks great! I have #20 but not the new #21. I'll have to go out and but it and try it out! Which did you aply it by hand or by and obital buffer?
        Jason M

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Jason. I applied it with the PC (random-orbital) and a finishing pad. I can also be applied by hand or by rotary.

Comment

Is your PC buffer the one that Meguiars sells? I have been looking into buying the cordless random buffer from meguiars. i dont want to spent 200 dollars right now. What brand is yours? does it have veriable speeds? Right now i am appling all of my paint care items by hand. I want to get into the art of using the random buffer.

Jason
            Jason M

Comment

auto detailing solutions.

Porter Cable $149

[2hotford: edited for commercial link]

Comment

Thanks i'll have fun looking through that site
                Jason M

Comment

that hood looks sweeeeeet!! i miss my old school toyota when i see pics like this.87 2wd 4cyl,standard cab,japanese bed,crane cam and straight exhaust,wish i kept it
                  95nissan

Comment

Jason,

I got my PC from one of our hardware suppliers, but you can find the Porter Cable 7336 or 7424 for about $80-100 at Lowes. It's a great tool to learn on and can remove a number of surface defects. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');