• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe some caution when used around Dark Plastic Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe some caution when used around Dark Plastic Trim

Don't get ANY M21 on plastic parts and or some rubber, especially black.
    As it seemed to lighten some black trim (I got a small amount on the black plastic rain gutters on the roof).

Some 505 protectant will help darken the area again...just have to re-apply after a washing.
    Last edited by HammerDown; Nov 28, 2005, 09:22 AM.
    HammerDown

Try some #39 Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner. Not sure it is "bleaching" the trim. I believe the product is just drying on the plastic and should be able to be removed with the above product and maybe a small soft bristle brush.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I haven't experienced M21 or any of Meguiar's waxes 'bleaching', as in permanently changing the color of the component from one color to white.

Are you sure it bleached the black plastic rain gutters? or stained them? There is a difference.

Also, what are you working on, I want to check DOT and R&D about this.

Thanks!
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        I haven't experienced M21 or any of Meguiar's waxes 'bleaching', as in permanently changing the color of the component from one color to white.

Are you sure it bleached the black plastic rain gutters? or stained them? There is a difference.

Also, what are you working on, I want to check DOT and R&D about this.

Thanks!
        The only vehicle I used M21 on in my 06 Black Toyota. (I like the product) so please understand that.

The area's on the car that got some wax on them is the 2 roof gutters > their cut right into the painted area. Also the black windshield wiper cowl that I accidently brushed the applicator pad onto.
        And well, the small black plastic apron under the rear bumper cover. The (only) thing I've gone is wipe some 505 Protectant on those plastic parts to bring back the black color.
        The area's above, just a few small sections are now clouded/lighter.

I have got M21 on some black rubber trim...but there has been NO problems with that so far.
        I am very careful in trying not to get any more product on the black plactic, but the only way to do this 100% would be to tape it off prior to applying the wax.

Tomorrow I'll try to deep clean the black plactic trim and see what happens. However it's not all that porous to begin with.

Thanks for the feedback.
        HammerDown

Comment

Get some #39 (Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner) and a nail brush - that'll get it out.

Ben

Comment

Somthing I have been having pretty good luck with doing to avoid getting the wax on the trim is this:

I trim out my plastic with GC Trim Detailer "before" waxing. Then I wax. Then the next day I apply the 2nd coat of wax then go back and retrim the trim with the GC Trim Detailer again.

It's a little over kill but I find having a fresh coat of the trim detailer on the surface protects it against my getting any wax on it. I guess the wax can't stick to the surface well enough to bond with it. I find I can trim out the stuff a whole lot faster than I could tape it off.

Plus, the few times I have tapped off and used the Blue Painter's tape that it just did not want to stick to some of my plastic very well. Possibly due to some degree to the texture of the plastic as well as my every 1-2 week use of the GC Trim Detailer in the first place.
            Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Notice...

Just wanted to make a public apology, no where on the #21 label is the word..."warning"... about use on vinyl, rubber etc.

I could have sworn I seen that (maybe on another one of my products-I have soooo many).

It does state in LARGE print.."DO NOT APPLY TO VINYL RUBBER OR CLOTH SURFACES".
              And nothing about bleaching of plastic/ruber etc.

It did appear to lighten the few black plastic trim parts it did get on. I had hoped to try and do a deep clean on these parts today but, bad weather is stoping this.

Again sorry...and I'll try to edit my topic's title.
              HammerDown

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');