• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color X and other products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color X and other products

About a week ago, I got a new 05 Acura TSX. The car had some minor scratches and DISO. Normally, I wouldn't even thought about buying a new car with these defects. However, it was the color that I wanted (red), and the dealer took a whole lot off the price for the blemishes that I pointed out.

Anyway, I have seen and heard a lot of good things about Color X (Mike's Bronco II detail was unbelievable), so I figured that this car would be a good canidate for the product. So, I ordered the Color X, even coat applicator microfiber pads, the new ultra plush super terry towels, and the new Supreme Shine microfiber detailer towels.

I was blown away with the results from the Color X. This product is very good and understated/underrated, imo. It is super easy to remove and works very well with the even coat applicators. It is great for minor swirls, but it is not quite as aggressive as Scratch X. It left the finish super slick and with a brilliant high gloss shine with some depth. The finished product was outstanding. This product would be great for someone with minor surface blemishes who prefers a time saving all in one product. I was going to top the Color X, but it looked so good that I decided to hold off. I would highly recommend this product. Also, I didn't have any problems with trim. The product seems not to dry white, which is a plus. Great job Meguiar's.

The new Ultra Plush Super terry towels are fantastic. They are without a doubt the best towels that I have ever used. They are supper soft and leave a brilliant streak and scratch free finish. I even prefer them over the Meguiar's Supreme Shine microfibers.

The Supreme Shine microfibers are also a top notch detailing cloth. Better than the majority of other microfibers that I have used. I would recommend these also. Great for final buffing. However, I prefer the Ultra Plush Super Terry.

The Even Coat MF applicators are another good product. They prevent hand fatigue and work well. They are perfect for products like Scratch X and Color X when you need just a little more bite, but they are not too aggressive. Good product. However, I did experience the "blow out" using the pad after doing about half of the car. I am going to contact Meguiar's customer service about the problem, but they have always made things right in the past in my experience.

Long story short, Color X is a very good product and surpased my expectations. The new detailing towels that Meguiar's offers are some of the best that I have used, and the even coat applicators are a good product with the one flaw.

Good job Meguiar's.

I'll try to upload some pics later own. I don't have my camera with me at work.
    Bama

We're glad you like it.

I know on discusson forums Klasse AIO has a following for a cleaner/wax but from the reviews and comments I've read most people like ColorX better and it's about 1/3 the price.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
      We're glad you like it.

I know on discusson forums Klasse AIO has a following for a cleaner/wax but from the reviews and comments I've read most people like ColorX better and it's about 1/3 the price.
      Mike, hands down, Color X is probably the best one step product that I have ever used, and I have tried a few.

It would be ideal for someone wanting to get their finish in shape who has limited time. Once Color X has done the trick, it looks like that you then could maintain the finish with a LSP (a wax or sealant of your choice).

This product has a place now in my arsenal. It looks like a good once or twice a year product to keep the finish in shape while in between using your wax or sealant of choice (ie: NXT, #26, etc.).
      Bama

Comment

Does ColorX contain carnuba?

I thought ColorX was strictly a synthetic until I read Mike Phillips thread on a the paint cleaning of a Ranger truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama
          Mike, hands down, Color X is probably the best one step product that I have ever used, and I have tried a few.

I strongly agree.

I have just about used up my 1st bottle already, but I have another waiting in reserve.
          r. b.

Comment

I have been considering switching to the Color-X as a time saver for winter applications.

How does this product do when applying with the PC? It looks like a darn good way to keep on top of minor MF induced swirl and still yet be able to get some cleaning out of it and also a wax.

I was also considering A-12 but was thinking the Color-X might be able to help me keep on top of the Self Induced Swirl a little better. Plus, I tend to like the Syntheithics on my white so this could be a good altenative for me for the winter. I could even get bold from time to time and top with something when the weather permits.

Any commentary about applying this with the PC would be most welcome. That's about my only hang up about making the switch right now.
            Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
              Any commentary about applying this with the PC would be most welcome. That's about my only hang up about making the switch right now.
              No problems here to speak off. You can also wipe it off before it dries if you feel like the 1st application didn't do the job.

One thing I noticed though. It takes longer to dry if you apply it by machine, than it does when applied by hand.

Anyone else ever notice this?
              r. b.

Comment

Hi Jeff

I have used Color X with the PC a couple of times with no problems and excellent results. Of all the products i have Color X is my all time overall fave - one prob cant buy it in the UK and only have 1 bottle left

I applied with the PC at setting 3 or 3.5 on a Sonus White Pad and removed with MF Bonnett over unused Sonus Yellow Pad at setting 2.

Rob

Comment

Do you folks find that it does a decent job of making any impact on minor swirl? I am mainly after something that I can use through the winter for a quickie for the following:
                  1. Pre LSP Prep
                  2. Minor Cleaning
                  3. Minor Swirl Reduction (Mostly just minor swirl as the result of wiping down my truck with an MF and a QD product. Very light self induced swirl.)
                  4. Base wax coat (I am willing to top it as need be but it would be noce to know I can just apply one coat of this if time is an issue and come back a few weeks later and redo as necessary.)

If this stuff will fill the bill for the above criteria, I think I'll make the switch now. I have been using NXT weekly (I love that just waxed look) but I find it very hard to make the time to do any proper prep work so I am lookng at other cleaner wax alternatives to get me through the winter. I already have a bottle of Color-X but have not messed with it yet.

This stuff is likely a litle too aggressive for me to use weekly so I could probably just use it monthly through the winter with a couple of coats of A-12 in between.
                  Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                    No problems here to speak off. You can also wipe it off before it dries if you feel like the 1st application didn't do the job.

One thing I noticed though. It takes longer to dry if you apply it by machine, than it does when applied by hand.

Anyone else ever notice this?
                    Can you give a best guess on drying time when applied via the PC? Time is somewhat of an issue with whatever product I run with.
                    Jeff Smith

Comment

Well, I cant speak for use with a PC, but I can say it is fantastic prep for Nxt.

I think a PC would help it remove minor swirls even better than by hand, but hard for me to say.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

If you like Color X, you would love #66... I can't say enough about it as it's a little more agressive and finishes out nicely with either the Rotary or the DA. It offers some protection as well, not sure how it compares to Color X though along those lines, I would think it's pretty similar.

Tom

Comment

I seem to recall Mike saying the #66 was the most agressive cleaner/wax. ColorX kinda in the middle, and A-12 being very mild, even milder than DC#1 as a cleaner.

I assume he was refering to the abrasives themselves in #66, not that it was for PC/rotary use .
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

For me I am working with a like new finish. It it were not for the minor swirl I would like to go after I would probably head to the A-12 for a winter wax. I think the #66 would likely be a little aggressive for my interests at this point.
                            Jeff Smith

Comment

Well, I've use it several times for a quick job on vehicles and it's about as aggressive as #80 on the scale. I haven't seen too many times I thought 80 was too aggressive for polishing a car. 66 is also very easy to use as it wipes off very easily. I guess how you choose to apply it and the pad you use would affect your results also. Just my 2 cents...

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');