• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First experience with NXT Tech Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First experience with NXT Tech Wax

This afternoon I gave the ol' goat a good washin' and brought her inside to try out the Tech liquid wax I picked up last night. My silver GTO has been housed in a climate-controlled garage since new and has a twice monthly application of Zymol cleaner wax, sometimes preceded by Turtle Wax polishing compound, and often finished over with a coat of P21s. Needless to say, my expectations were high. I have just finished the front end of the car with one application of Tech Wax, applied with the included foam applicator and polished with a microfiber towel and the results are pretty damn good! The finish feels a bit oily, and the wax itself a bit weak (I guess this ain't no cleaner wax), but it sure is easy to apply and remove. I think I can have similar results to my prior Zymol/P21s applications in a quarter of the time with this stuff. It doesn't quite have the same rich shine as P21s, or the cleaning abilities of the Zymol, but it's close enough. I especially like the fact that it leaves no dust. Here are some further observations:

1. Don't apply this stuff too thin. Work it in pretty hard.
    2. Let it dry a while. I put the temp on 74 and the humidity at roughly 40% and it took over 15 mins. to dry.
    3. Don't overwipe it.

Besides the slightly lackluster shine and the oilyness (which may be a result of the product not being fully cured), the smell is absolutely awful. Meguiar's, please rectify this in future batches; it smells like a soiled urinal cake.

-Mike

hahah great o hear that u like it, u might try switching over from the turtle wax polish to deep crystal polish or show car glaze polish.... u'll probably like it a lot.... ur probably the first one to not like the tech wax smell and complain about it..... if u like to have more cleaning power perhapes u might try color x then top it with nxt..... for color richness u might go with the new reformulated gold class...

Comment

Re: First experience with NXT Tech Wax

Originally posted by quicksilverGTO
      This afternoon I gave the ol' goat a good washin' and brought her inside to try out the Tech liquid wax I picked up last night. My silver GTO has been housed in a climate-controlled garage since new and has a twice monthly application of Zymol cleaner wax, sometimes preceded by Turtle Wax polishing compound, and often finished over with a coat of P21s. Needless to say, my expectations were high. I have just finished the front end of the car with one application of Tech Wax, applied with the included foam applicator and polished with a microfiber towel and the results are pretty damn good! The finish feels a bit oily, and the wax itself a bit weak (I guess this ain't no cleaner wax), but it sure is easy to apply and remove. I think I can have similar results to my prior Zymol/P21s applications in a quarter of the time with this stuff. It doesn't quite have the same rich shine as P21s, or the cleaning abilities of the Zymol, but it's close enough. I especially like the fact that it leaves no dust. Here are some further observations:

1. Don't apply this stuff too thin. Work it in pretty hard.
      2. Let it dry a while. I put the temp on 74 and the humidity at roughly 40% and it took over 15 mins. to dry.
      3. Don't overwipe it.

Besides the slightly lackluster shine and the oilyness (which may be a result of the product not being fully cured), the smell is absolutely awful. Meguiar's, please rectify this in future batches; it smells like a soiled urinal cake.

-Mike
      I think you will like the results better if you preceded the NXT with some #80 instead of TW polishing compound. Isn't the Turtle Wax polishing compound a little aggressive for a new car?

Here'a #80 topped with NXT Paste:

Nice ride BTW. As you might guess I'm GTO fan.
      2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Hmmmm, call me crazy, but the think I look foward too most wehn using NXT products is smelling them! lol Yes, you have to apply a thin coat.
        Rangerpowersports.com
        Ranger72

Comment

*Update* I just finished my second coat and the car looks great! For such an inexpensive wax, the results were far beyond my expectations. However, if I were going to show the car, I would not use this product as the final step. P21s is just too hard to beat. I haven't tried Zymol's new Titanium wax yet, but P21s will probably still be my preferred topper. The NXT Tech liquid is a great wax for a daily driven car; it's soooo easy to apply and gives great results with limited effort

As for the paint on the GTO, it felt a little rough from day one. It seems that many of the panels were covered in clear coat overspray. I used some aggressive rubbing compound (by hand) twice on it and I use the Turtle Wax polishing compound basically every other month. It's really not very aggressive (less so than a clay bar) when you use a small amount and do it by hand.

-Mike

Comment

Originally posted by quicksilverGTO
            *Update* I just finished my second coat and the car looks great! For such an inexpensive wax, the results were far beyond my expectations. However, if I were going to show the car, I would not use this product as the final step. P21s is just too hard to beat. I haven't tried Zymol's new Titanium wax yet, but P21s will probably still be my preferred topper. The NXT Tech liquid is a great wax for a daily driven car; it's soooo easy to apply and gives great results with limited effort

As for the paint on the GTO, it felt a little rough from day one. It seems that many of the panels were covered in clear coat overspray. I used some aggressive rubbing compound (by hand) twice on it and I use the Turtle Wax polishing compound basically every other month. It's really not very aggressive (less so than a clay bar) when you use a small amount and do it by hand.

-Mike
            The roughness was probably rail dust. I've had it on my last 4 new cars. In have found clay to be the best way to remove that. Clay should not be aggressive, at least the mild versions. I used the blue Clay Magic on mine.

Another source of roughness, in isolated spots, that I found was embedded dirt particles under the paint. There are not enough of them to mess with the factory paint but still it bothers me a little. I will put up with a lot for a fast car!

Since you have a GTO I have to ask, did you have any paint damage when you took delivery? By that I mean things like paint chips or signs of repainted body panels? I discovered that my hood had been repainted. I did not know what to look for. A body shop manager pointed out the paint buildup around the windshield wipers. The paint on my hood chips very easily. At least they did a good job of matching the color.

One last thing......I going to save Mike some time:

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Let's see... I've had the rail dust problem, the rough clear coat problem, the dinged paint problem, but luckily, no repainted panels. Well, except for the rear bumper, but that's another story... The paint is too thin and too brittle. I must have 10 paint chips on the leading edge of the hood and 100 or so tiny dings on the front bumper. I think the wind chips the paint off. As for pics, I don't have any of the new Tech Wax'd look yet. As soon as I get my digi cam back, I'll post them up. I do have plenty of Zymol car wash, Turtle Wax Polishing Compound, Zymol Cleaner Wax, and P21s top coat. I'll post one of those pics for comparison purposes right now and post up the Tech Wax'd later:

-Mike
              Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I like the nxt tech wax. Used it for the first time on the weekend. Someone said it was not that expensive? Maybe not for you guys in the US!! Here in Australia, its about $40! I nearly fell over, but Ive been eying it off for ages, wanting to buy it, cos I know Meguiars make good products.

It produced a nice reflective, deep shine on my paint job, and I thought the smell was pretty good! My only criticism would be that its not as easy to apply as they claim. Ive had my ride since new, and I wash it and "quick wax" it every week. Maybe its cos Im used to the quick wax. I think I'll stick to my quick wax every week, and use the NXT about every month. By the way, the quick wax I use is called "Wax-as-u-dry" and I love it. So easy to use, and gives great results even on glass & plastic trim !! Its not as intense (or long lasting) as the NXT, but when you use it every week like me, its perfect!

Happy detailing to all the other pedantic, anal, enthusiasts out there - KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE !!!
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');