• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not totally thrilled w/ NXT Metal Polysh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not totally thrilled w/ NXT Metal Polysh

I love almost all of the NXT line but I'm a bit disappointed with the Metal Polysh.

It really smells nice but requires a lot more work than the old metal polish I relied upon in the past.

Worked fine as a 2nd coat kind of thing - I'd use the other metal polish to really clean and shine the stainless steel and then top it off with the NXT polysh.

It seems like the NXT was formulated with less abrasives or solvents or something...

my .02

p.s. Mike - I tried to PM you this before posting but couldn't.

Re: Not totally thrilled w/ NXT Metal Polysh

Originally posted by lig
    I love almost all of the NXT line but I'm a bit disappointed with the Metal Polysh.

p.s. Mike - I tried to PM you this before posting but couldn't.
    Well perhaps give it a try on something different down the road, so far the consensus is that most people love it!

As far as PM's go, I keep them turned off as I cannot keep up with the volume of e-mail and PM's, I prefer everyone to post questions to the forum, check out this link to understand why.

Thanks!

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Works great on my bathroom sink. (polished stainless) That never really gets as funky as an exhaust.

Will give it a whirl on some of our jewelry - I suspect it'll work great there.

Comment

NXT All Metal Polish work's good on rim's.

Comment

Aren't you afraid of damaging the clearcoat on your rims?

I only use NXT Tech Wax on my wheels. If they were non-clearcoated I could see using the Metal Polysh. I would definitely not use a metal polish on a clearcoated wheel though...

Comment

I used it on the chrome below. Not the best picture, but in person it was the shiniest brush guard I've ever seen.

I love using this stuff on any metal trim. Quick, easy, and works wonders!
            Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by lig
              Aren't you afraid of damaging the clearcoat on your rims?

I only use NXT Tech Wax on my wheels. If they were non-clearcoated I could see using the Metal Polysh. I would definitely not use a metal polish on a clearcoated wheel though...
              Yes...Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh can be used on clear coated rims!

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Like 2hotford said it can be used on clear coat.

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                  Yes...Meguiar's NXT Metal Polysh can be used on clear coated rims!

Tim
                  Whah?

I would figure that a metal polish would be formulated for bare metal. How can it be effective in brightening metal if a clear coat is covering the metal surface?

Comment

Well, it isnt brightening the metal, it is removing scratches from the clear coat, just like ScratchX would on clearcoat paint.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by evo77
                      Whah?

I would figure that a metal polish would be formulated for bare metal. How can it be effective in brightening metal if a clear coat is covering the metal surface?

That's what is confusing me too. If it's a clearcoat polish - then why bother with the NXT Metal Polysh at all? It just didn't work well for me as a bare metal polish - that is why I posted this to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by lig
                        That's what is confusing me too. If it's a clearcoat polish - then why bother with the NXT Metal Polysh at all? It just didn't work well for me as a bare metal polish - that is why I posted this to begin with.
                        NXT All Metal Polysh is an excellent bare metal polish and most people have excellent results with it. At the same time, it doesn't use crude abrasives to get the job done, it's a complex formula capable of removing oxidation on bare metal and restoring brilliance, while at the same time being safe for clear coated wheel.

What are you working on?

Stainless steel is very hard, while aluminum is very soft, you will get different results from both.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I was working on a stainless steel catback exhaust . After using an old school metal polish I used the NXT on top to see if I could take advantage of the protective qualities of the polysh.

Seemed to work nicely in that scenario. It just wasn't happening for me with the steel. I'll try some softer metals and see how it goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            NXT All Metal Polysh is an excellent bare metal polish and most people have excellent results with it. At the same time, it doesn't use crude abrasives to get the job done, it's a complex formula capable of removing oxidation on bare metal and restoring brilliance, while at the same time being safe for clear coated wheel.
                            Sorry, this still doesn't make sense to me.

When an aluminum wheel is polished or machined it is usually sprayed with a clear coat to protect the finish from oxidation and to maintain its shine.

How does the NXT metal polysh manage to get underneath the clear coat and attack the metal itself to brighten it up while still being "safe" on the clear coat to not remove it?

Comment

Originally posted by evo77
                              How does the NXT metal Polysh manage to get underneath the clear coat and attack the metal itself to brighten it up while still being "safe" on the clear coat to not remove it?
                              Hi evo77,

Let me do my best to explain...

NXT All Metal Polysh is safe for use on clear coated metal wheels because it doesn't contain harsh chemical, acids, or sharp abrasives to clean the surface.

The reason a person would polish a clear coated wheel would likely be for two reasons,

1. To add protection
                              2. To restore clarity and brilliance

NXT All Metal Polysh contains a protection ingredient to protect the surface in which it's applied, and if a clear coated rim has become dull because the clear coat paint has become hazy, dull, stained or cloudy, then the cleaning ability of NXT All Metal Polish is such that it will clean the clear coat to restore clarity so that your eyes can see the metal or color coat of paint underneath it.

The polished metal under a clear coat doesn't ever become oxidized or stained, the surface of the clear coat on top of it becomes oxidized, stained, scratched, dull, hazy, etc.

Always treat the surface, not the underlying material or coating.

Does that make sense?
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');