• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl X and Ultimate Compound - 2 thumbs up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl X and Ultimate Compound - 2 thumbs up

My car has been a little neglected over the past 6 months with my last detail being in September 08. I used to use #80, #83, and #21 on my car with 80 mainly on the roof, hood and trunk. Well I opened up my detailing box on Friday to find that I was pretty much out of 80. I did a little research and set out to see if I could find any of the new 09 consumer line products. I found both Swirl X and Ultimate Compound at my local Wal-Mart.

This morning I washed with NXT car wash, clayed and then washed and dryed the car. I started on the roof, hood, and trunk with Swirl X with TERRIFIC results. Swirl X is pretty thick and does not sling at all, its really easy to use with the DA. It cuts pretty similarly to #80, but it is SOOOOO much easier to remove and doens't get chalky or sticky at all like #80 when worked. On some heavier scratches, I used the Ultimate Compound with excellent results. It took 2 passes, but the scatches are totally gone. It also really to easy to remove. Then I did with whole car with #83 and finally sealed with #21.

Here are the results:

Re: Swirl X and Ultimate Compound - 2 thumbs up

car looks great, i cannot wait to use these products on my truck in the spring, nice work!
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Looks Great!!
      Nice Job!!
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Man, that is a sweet car.

Did the headlights come smoked or did you do that?
        Matt

Comment

Looks great. Way to go.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by 1fastsedan View Post
            My
            Then I did with whole car with #83
            Just curious... why finish with M83 if you have SwirlX?

SwirlX as you mentioned is so easy to work with and should give as good or better finish results as compared to M83.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike,

Talked to you today concerning using SwirlX on my dealer induced swirls/scratches in the clearcoat. More look like scratches from rough sandpaper. Got some of them out but still plenty left that looks like a cat tried to get away and couldn't. None of them are deep enough to feel with fingernail but can be seen with the lights.

I went over each section slowly on speed 5, white UDM polishing pad, checkerboard pattern, wiped clean with MF towel, then went over section again. When I could see that hardly any were coming out, I just continued until I finished the hood. I went ahead and put a coat of liquid paste wax on until I could get back at it again.

I tried to go through the steps like you said but either I am doing something wrong or the clearcoat must be really hard.

I will wait to hear from you on what to try next.

Thanks,

Billy

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                Man, that is a sweet car.

Did the headlights come smoked or did you do that?
                Those are the factory headlights, they're not smoked. They were under the eave of the garage so the shadow makes them look darker than they actually are.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                Just curious... why finish with M83 if you have SwirlX?

SwirlX as you mentioned is so easy to work with and should give as good or better finish results as compared to M83.

More than anything, habit. I was also limited on time, so I used what I knew worked well last time (80 then 83 then sealant). As I was using the Swirl X, I really thought that I could easily just seal over it the way it was and be good. I just didn't have the time to experiment, then back it out, evaluate, re-do, etc.

Doesn't 83 have more oils than Swirl X (more like a pure polish with light cleaning ability)? Was it bad to do it the way I did? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fastsedan View Post

Doesn't 83 have more oils than Swirl X (more like a pure polish with light cleaning ability)? Was it bad to do it the way I did? Thanks.
                  I don't have any information on the amount of polishing oils for either product and it wasn't bad to do it that way, it might just have been an extra step you could have avoided, no way of knowing without comparing results. How aggressive a product is can be viewed differently depending upon your point of view. To a person that sands and buffs a lot of fresh paint jobs M83 is a pretty gentle product as compared to a true compound, to a person that is an enthusiast using a DA Polisher to maintain the factory finish on their car M83 can be a very aggressive product as compared to M80, M82, M09 and M205.

Either way, as long as you're happy with the results that the most important thing...

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I would think you would do #83, then #80, then #21 no?
                    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                    2005 Honda CRF250R
                    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Agree with the 83 - 80 - 21 sequence. M83 is slightly more aggressive than M80 and I have seen some hazing on both my dark green Corvette and black GMC after using M83. I just follow up with M80 to correct the hazing.

Still waiting to try Swirl-X, but from what I read here, I'm hoping it will be more of a one-step product.

Another question - which is closer to Swirl-X, M105 or M205?

Comment

this will help:

Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you!
                        Nick
                        Tucker's Detailing Services
                        815-954-0773
                        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by duckvett View Post

Another question - which is closer to Swirl-X, M105 or M205?
                          M205 and SwirlX are both light cleaner/polishes.

M105 is our most aggressive compound.

Get you hands on some SwirlX and apply to your Vette using a foam polishing pad on the 5.0 setting of your DA Polisher, you'll love the results.

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            M205 and SwirlX are both light cleaner/polishes.

M105 is our most aggressive compound.

Get you hands on some SwirlX and apply to your Vette using a foam polishing pad on the 5.0 setting of your DA Polisher, you'll love the results.

I know I'll love it - I am anxiously awaiting the big brown truck!!

Comment

Received my Swirl-X and had nice weather this weekend - for my first use of Swirl-X I decided to work on my severely "swirled & hologramed" `05 black GMC. The photos speak for themselves - this is a great product and greatly reduces the time required to accomplish paint correction.

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');