• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claybar or Liquid Claybar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Claybar or Liquid Claybar?

I am not surprised that the liquid claybar didn't work. Great post. Thanks for taking your time to test and post.

Comment

I just bought this Turtle Wax Liquid Claybar. It's OK, on removing bonded contaminants, but not as well as a traditional clay. It's probably good on rims or wheels, a bit less aggressive.

Comment

thanks for that batman! awesome review m8.

just wondering, does any1 here know why turtle wax consistently brings out products that are not up to scratch with its competitors? i just dont get it. everything from products to accessories. do they do well in america as compared to meguiars in terms of sales?

because in australia, turtle wax brand is constantly on sale as is with armourall, however they have the perception of being cheap and nasty. a few stores i went to had so much stock left over from their ice products to their traditional products compared to meguiars - which was all consistently low on stock or out of stock.
        Regards, Wilco
        There's No Shine Like Meguiar's

Comment

I think there is the cheap perception here... but that is the extent of a lot of people caring about their cars.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Liquid claybar pretty much mirrors the rest of the "Ice" line. The one and only time I used it left my car with a milky residue. Had to do a proper traditional claying just to get it off (I still want my $16 back!). As for the Ice liquid wax, equally bad. It left my finish feeling greasy to the touch. The only reason I tried the Ice line to begin with was because Target was selling promotional Ice kits for $7.50 after Xmas (I bought 4 kits - grrrr). At least each kit came with 2 microfiber towels, and I can still make use of the Ice car wash and salvage the applicator pads.

Comment

Before I discovered Meguiar's, I used the Liquid Claybar three times. It does leave the paint surface feeling smooth. Does it work as well as a real claybar? I'm dubious. It is probably best compared to a light paint cleaner. See OctaneGuy's review of the Liquid Claybar.
              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
              --Al Kimel

Comment

I have the Liquid Claybar from the ICE line and I also give it an F.

It did make the surface smooth, but all it did was remove the coat of wax of the paint.

It left a white milky film that was impossible to get off, it was just horrible.

I have never actually had to use a real claybar but I'm sure it will be better.

Nice Write up for a new member!

Welcome to MOL!
                Matt

Comment

Very interesting thanks for sharing... never have thought much of 'liquid' clay.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Welcome to MOL, I like the magnum

Comment

Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
                      Nice Write up for a new member!

Welcome to MOL!
                      Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                      Very interesting thanks for sharing... never have thought much of 'liquid' clay.
                      Originally posted by miahjohn View Post
                      Welcome to MOL, I like the magnum
                      The OP actually wrote this up 6 months back and I dug up the thread searching past threads for opinions on the Turtle Wax Ice line of detail products. I read the original thread (posted Aug 2008) and responded to it, forgetting to check the date. Sorry for the confusion, although the write-up is still a good one!

Comment

everytime i go to target, low and behold the liquid clay bar is still there
                        Nick
                        Tucker's Detailing Services
                        815-954-0773
                        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

The clay bar kit is great, just always get extra detailing spray as sometimes it'll be in need of a lot of that ole elbow grease to get the entire car done. I found that it's really best to use smaller pieces of the bar as I was prone to dropping it and it just loves to pick up anything when that happens.

I also used the clay like you would moldeling clay, rolling it into a log so the dirt goes inside and flattens as you use it. It seemed to work fine that way. I like to hand wash my car in the spring-fall and in the winter it's just to damn cold and the hose tends to freeze up.

Tonight it's snowing and 4F=-18C so my Hyundai is out there in the cold plugged in to the block heater and battery blanket. I'm sure a nice heated garage would be much appreciated. Ahh dreaming of a underfloor heated garage with a good floor drain and water proof area to wash it in.

Okay gents can the clay freeze and does it hurt it if it has? I forgot the clay bar case in the garage and it is not heated.

Comment

Originally posted by new2detailing View Post
                            I recently used this product on a pearlescent white Nissan Pathfinder. It did seem to work and left the surface smooth. However, I look at this product as not as a replacement for a true claybar (still the best standard for contaminant removal) but as an alternate to the claybar in time dependant details. Will this or the claybar "sponge" replace a claybar? NO. But this gives the equivalent results as a paint pre-wax cleaner.
                            I agree, I have used the product, it does have a place in my routine sometimes. I doesn't replace the claybar. I think it is interesting that it is now sold with a claybar in addtion to the liquid.

Comment

Originally posted by KNJ View Post
                              I think it is interesting that it is now sold with a clay bar in addition to the liquid.
                              Interesting and kind of tells the rest of the story...

Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                                Interesting and kind of tells the rest of the story...

That was my thought as well

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');