• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColorX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just read in a thread last week, possibly from Mike, that MPPC can be used as often as you want. We need to get stuff like this straightened out.

Comment

Originally posted by DSG Man
      I just read in a thread last week, possibly from Mike, that MPPC can be used as often as you want. We need to get stuff like this straightened out.
      Probably so, but I would want to use the least abrasive product 1st....Especially at 8 weeks intervals.
      r. b.

Comment

Let me see if I can help...

There are a lot of factors that make it difficult to make blanket statements about paint cleaners that address all situations. That said, for most people, for most cars, paint cleaners like Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner can be used often without fear of removing too much paint.

Compared to one of our compounds, MPPC is very gentle, compared to Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, MPPC is fairly aggressive, so it's kind of relative depending on what you're comparing it to.

Another factor to consider is film-build. If Joe is working on a 1965 Mustang with original paint that is thin in some areas, then MPPC applied by hand with a piece of terry cloth may remove enough paint to expose primer. That's partially because the paint is thin to start with. Any companies paint cleaner would remove paint and expose primer.

Same goes for a damaged, or abused new car with a clear coat. If Johnny Gorilla Arms buffs a car out at the local dealership with an aggressive compound, then you end up as the owner, it could be there are places on the car that the clear coat is very thin. MPPC may be to aggressive for this but how would you know until you tried it and sadly made a mistake?

Here's some insight Mike Pennington wrote in this thread,

Measuring Clearcoat Thickness

Originally posted by Mike Pennington
        Let me jump in here also...

DACP and a PC will not remove .3 mil with one pass not even close...

Just to give you an idea, we can take our Finishing Papers, wool pad, and Diamond Cut 2.0 and remove less than .5 mil.

With that said, you can use DACP over and over and over with a PC with no problems of removing too much material and causing any type of paint failure.

I hope this clears things up

Mike
        Using the above products as a guide, and knowing MPPC is less aggressive than #83 DACP, for most people, on most cars, as long as the paint isn't whisper thin and the product is applied with the right application material and a dose of common sense, there should be nothing to worry about as far as removing too much paint.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike. This leads me to believe that over time, MPPC will affect the amount of clearcoat on a new/newer car. Is this a correct assumption?

Comment

Bump

Comment

Mike. This leads me to believe that over time, MPPC will affect the amount of clearcoat on a new/newer car. Is this a correct assumption?
              Yes.

Compounds, paint cleaners and cleaner polishes all remove below surface defects by removing paint.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');