• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way to apply NXT Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way to apply NXT Wax

I've done a search, but couldn't find an exact answer to this question.

I've been using NXT liquid wax for a while now and I love the results, however I feel I might be doing more work than necessary.

The question is: when applying the wax (by hand using foam applicator) do I need to rub/work it in to the paint or can I just spread it on? Until now, I've been really working it into the paint because I believe this will help clean and remove light scratches better than just spreading it. Have I been wasting my time and effort?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

you can do both but working it in well will push the wax into the pores of the paint
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
      you can do both but working it in well will push the wax into the pores of the paint
      And that's a good thing, yeah?
      Does that mean it will last longer?
      Will working it in hide light scratches better?
      Last edited by davey g-force; Aug 1, 2006, 04:07 PM.
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

When applying any wax, the goal is to apply an even coating over the entire surface as well as working the wax into the finish at whatever level this can be accomplished. Some paints are more open, or porous than others, typically single stage paints, or older/worn clear coats paints.

Even if you're working on a brand new clear coat with a very impermeable finish, (not open or porous), you still want to work the wax against the finish gently but thoroughly. Usually 2-3 passes over each square inch is good enough and then you can move on.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm glad I got your attention Mike, thanks for your response.

So by working the wax into the finish, would that make the wax last longer? Would it improve it's cleaning and scratch hiding abilities?

Comment

When i get my NXT liquid wax this summer,i was told to apply the wax sideways,NOT in circles.
            Why?
            Detailing cars is a form of art. Most appreciate it, few possess the required skill and even fewer understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Arne
              When i get my NXT liquid wax this summer,i was told to apply the wax sideways,NOT in circles.
              Why?
              Hmmm, that doesn't sound right to me.

...Mike?

Comment

The only official mention of applying sideways I've seen was on a bottle of Eagle One Nanowax.

Comment

A couple things worth mentioning...

Yes, Nxt has some cleaners in it, and it is good to somewhat work the product into the paint. But these cleaners are not going to be removing swirls, you need a separate product for that. You shouldnt confuse the the cleaners in Nxt with an actual cleaning step.

It does not matter what direction you apply Nxt wax, as Nxt is non-abrasive. If a product is non abrasive, then it doesnt matter what you do, as it will leave nothing behind no matter what you do. ( Assuming you keep your pad clean as well) The only reason to apply in straight lines only is so all the marks you leave behind line up and look uniform. Why would you want to leave marks?
                  Last edited by Murr1525; Aug 9, 2006, 05:20 PM.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: Correct way to apply NXT Wax

I have always heard thet you should apply product from front to back, not circular motions on the hood, top and trunk and from side to side the way the air flows across the car on the sides
                    Darren F

Comment

Originally posted by Darren F View Post
                      I have always heard thet you should apply product from front to back, not circular motions on the hood, top and trunk and from side to side the way the air flows across the car on the sides
                      Hmmmm, I think someone is pulling your leg...

Comment

Before applying any wax, you need to aquire a compass and position the car so it is facing north. Then you need to apply the wax with strokes going from north -> south, not the other way. After each panel you need to turn yourself round and round in a circular motion, until you feel really dizzy, and then you need to read this: Circles or Straight Lines?

"Now Biff... make sure that we get two coats of wax this time..."
                        - Back To The Future

Comment

Originally posted by Zet View Post
                          Before applying any wax, you need to aquire a compass and position the car so it is facing north. Then you need to apply the wax with strokes going from north -> south, not the other way. After each panel you need to turn yourself round and round in a circular motion, until you feel really dizzy, and then you need to read this: Circles or Straight Lines?

OH NO!!!! I've been doing it wrong all this time. I thought the car had to face east......so you could follow the rising and setting of the sun. No wonder the wax was so hard to remove!!!!!
                          Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Here is a cool video on using NXT tech wax.
                            You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximusZTS View Post
                              Here is a cool video on using NXT tech wax.
                              Awsome

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');