• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy with questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy with questions

Hey gang!

New guy here.

Y'all are one anal, er, conscientious group of car and truck enthusiasts!

All kidding aside, this looks like a great board.

I'd like to get some advice. I have never really gone much beyond a hose-n-bucket wash followed by an application of Meguiars liquid Cleaner Wax on any of my cars. I'd like to take "the next step" so to speak and really set my Ram apart from the crowd.

Without causing me to work an entire weekend, what would be some good suggestions for moving up to "the next level" with my detailing? I've debadged the entire truck and am good about washing it, but hell, I didn't even know there was such a device as a Grit Guard until I found this site! I'll be purchasing one of those along with some NTX Liquid Wax on my days off!

Input and direction is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chain; Nov 1, 2005, 03:31 AM.
    '05 QC Big Horn Edition/Sunroof
    5.7L Hemi
    Debadged
    Magnaflow
    Tint
    Line-X
    Chrome Mopar 'Sport' Grille
    Chrome OEM Hood Deflector
    ...and a G21C in the console

another photo
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Chain; Nov 1, 2005, 03:31 AM.
    5.7L Hemi
    Debadged
    Magnaflow
    Tint
    Line-X

Comment

last one
      Attached Files
      5.7L Hemi
      Debadged
      Magnaflow
      Tint
      Line-X

Comment

Well, it already looks like you are off to a good start. The Megs Cleaner/Wax is a great product on its own. But here are 2 procedures you can follow:

1. Wash: Use a good wash like Gold Class or Nxt, Two bucket system, Girt Guard, etc. Good quality sponge, towels.

2. Clay: Clay using QuickClay.. ClayMagic is an OK substitute in a pinch.

3. Clean: It doesnt seem like you have too many swirls? You can use ScratchX to remove swirls, or DC#1 for milder cleaning.

4. Polish: DC#2 is an excellent polish.

5. Wax: Nxt Liquid is a good choice, try it out and see how you like it.

6. Wax: Remember two thin coats is best.

7. Maintain: Use Nxt Spray Wax after most washing to maintain the look, and add a little protection.

Since you mention being a little short on time, here is what I do with my daily driver:

1. Wash: as above
        2. Clay: as above

3. ColorX - This is a grat one-step product, and the mild diminishing abrasives are good for removing any light swirls.

4. Wax - Nxt wax as above

5. Maintain - as above

So you can see the ColorX will cut out some steps, just in case you are in a hurry.

I am sure you will also enjoy the Nxt Metal Polish, Nxt Tech Protectant, the Quick Interior Detailer, tire dresings, and all of the other fun speacialsed products.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Incidently, my previous post assumed working by hand. The real 'next level' comes from investing in a PC, and using some of those products. We can certainly help with the PC if you are thinking of going that way.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply. Great advice!

Btw, I've been a Steelers fan since I was a little boy and I'm moving in on the Big Four-Oh now!

Don't miss MNF tonight!

OK, back on topic...I use an inexpensive Craftsman 10" electric buffer to apply the Cleaner Wax, then I remove it with towels and do a final buff with a clean bonnet. Seems to work pretty well, but I'd consider other options. I do have an air compressor in the garage...
            5.7L Hemi
            Debadged
            Magnaflow
            Tint
            Line-X

Comment

Um, what the hell is a PC?

From where I come from, that stands for Probable Cause.
              5.7L Hemi
              Debadged
              Magnaflow
              Tint
              Line-X

Comment

PC is short for Porter Cable.. they make the dual-action polisher sold by Meguiars. The product number is G-100.

If you havent clayed before, definately give it a try.

Working by machine, you might really enjoy these two products:

1. #80 - a mild cleaner polish
                2. #21 - it is similar to Nxt Liquid, though meant for machine application.

Comment

Heh, thanks.

You think I ought to forgo my Craftsman electric buffer and get a Porter Cable then?

Is buying a PC from someplace online a better value than buying the one with the Meguiars nameplate on it?
                  5.7L Hemi
                  Debadged
                  Magnaflow
                  Tint
                  Line-X

Comment

I am far from an expert on all of the different machine options, hopefully some one else can answer about the differences in the machines.

As far as the PC pricing, you have 3 decent options:

1. Order it from Meguiars, maybe part of packge to save a few bucks.

2. Order it from Auto Detailing Solutions, maybe as part of a bundle.

3. Buy the similar Porter Cable from Lowes.

The big thing is options #1 & #2 come with lifetime warranties, #3 does not.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');