• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr. Clean Washing system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Clean Washing system

I had my 1978 Corvette professionally waxed recently using Meguiars wax. It was a great job and I could slide my fingers across the paint surface with no resistance....very smooth. A few days later, my neighbor was washing his black GTI with the Mr. Clean car wash system which he had purchased. It did a great job on his car and since I was getting my Vette ready for a car show, I thought that I would give it a try and see how it worked on my car. I let him do the washing since he was more familiar with how to do it properly. When he had finished, I noticed that the paint on the car no longer had that 'slippery' feel on it as it had when freshly waxed. It made me wonder if perhaps the Mr. Clean Car Wash detergent had actually stripped the Meguiars wax off the paint. Has anyone else had the same experience?

Welcome to the forum Silverbaby.

I've heard of some people using this product before, but it seemed to be rather expensive in the long run to use.

Sounds like the detergent might have been mixed too strong and stripped off part of your protection, or maybe the detergent is just too strong to begin with, even if mixed right.

I would wash my car with Meguiars' own shampoos in the future.
    r. b.

Comment

I dont know how much wax it strips, but when I tried it, it certainly left a film behind. I thought it might be a shortcut for winter, so I tried the neighbors. Maybe it stripped and left a film, or just left a film. Either way, I rewashed it, and I think used some cleaner wax to recoat it, as it was winter.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

its the same concept as going to the spray and washes with the no dry coat at the end. It will leave behind some residue normally only visible to your eye or a trained eye, and does take off the luster and protection of your wax. I go to the spray and washes now, but take a bucket and own meguiars wash. then i just use their facility to wash and rinse wiht normal water. I would go with the bucket approach some Gold Class, a Grit guard and the two bucket washing system.

If you need more, im always down to help teach what i know.
        Vik S Deol
        Www.vdeol.onlineshowoff.com
        www.teamsolo.net

Comment

I would be interested in finding out if it did strip the wax. Each year before I start applying fresh wax, I strip the wax off using Dawn dishsoap. Maybe Mr. Clean's product does the same thing. I always fear that the Dawn is a *tad* too rough for the paint.

-GT

Comment

Well, I would certainly agree with worrying that Dawn is rough on the paint. If you are going to be using the 5-step system, there is really no reason to use it. And the Nxt wax is actauly somewhat detergent resistant.

The claying and pant cleaning steps are a much safer way to remove old wax, without damaging your paint. I mean, Dawn seems to stip all the oils from my hands, I dont want it doing that to my paint.

Comment

Interesting. I have always heard that it is best to start over fresh each season and that makes sense. I typically strip the wax as best I can and then use the clay. So you are saying that I could go straight to the clay and not worry about stripping the wax?

May need to start a new thread on this.

-GT

Comment

It isnt that you arent removing old wax, it is that you are doing it in a safer way.

And personaly, I wouldnt say my wax ever gets that 'old'.. though I am maintaing a daily driver, not a show car.

Comment

When I used my NXT shampoo with the Mr Clean shampoo and filter I saw that it left a very nasty hazy residue on the truck, once I stopped using the Mr Clean I saw that instead of helping it was causing the haze so I just use the old hose by itself again with just NXT.
                  Yea, I'm a red hot beaner!!

Comment

first off , as mentioned all ready dawn is ruff on paint, but the other thing to think about is that dawn is ruff on the rubberseals and weather striping.
                    As for mr clean system, another bad thing about it is it encorages you to not use a bucket so I hope your mitt was rised off often as you were using it. this is the biggest thing you can do to prevent marring.
                    2019 GMC Sierra
                    1500 AT4

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');