• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine equivalent of hand polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine equivalent of hand polish?

My car is a white, 2002 Toyota Sienna. I am the third owner. The car spent the first three years of life in Illinois and has been in Orange County California ever since. The original owner seems to have taken pretty good care of it mechanically, but I don't know how much time the car has spent garaged. I'm pretty sure the last 10 years it has been an outside car. I know it has been since 2012 when I acquired it. Still-in-all the paint looks fairly good.

Most of what I have done to it the last 3 years was to hand apply Meguiars cleaner wax all around. Now I have a friend with a buffer who is going to help me bring out the paint's greater potential. I was going to do this by hand, but I never got around to it. However, to that end, I got several McGuire products about a year and a half ago.
    Two of these are the clear coat safe rubbing compound and the polishing compound. Both tare the maroon bottles that I have experimented with on the car by hand.

The polishing compound does not seem to do all that much to bring out the paint's shine.
    On the other hand the rubbing compound does a very adequate job and I'm mostly satisfied with it. However, the directions say that it is only to be applied by hand.

So my question is, what is the equivalent that maroon bottle clear coat safe rubbing compound that we CAN USE WITH A MACHINE BUFFER?
    And I'm guessing I want to do something with a more fine are milder abrasive after the RC, so what would be the equivalent of that polishing compound for use with a buffer?

Our plan for the car so far is
    1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. The equivalent of the maroon bottle Rubbing compound.
    4. A more fine polishing compound or glaze.
    5. And then a couple of coats of wax or sealant. (That Mcguires LUW is looking pretty good to me for this one).

Also, if anyone has any other recommendations for steps 3 & 4 please let me know.
    Especially if there's any way to combine steps 3 and 4 with one product.
    Last edited by MichaelRS; Sep 18, 2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: Typos

Re: Machine equivalent of hand polish?

Welcome to MOL.

If you are looking for an all in one product then you want a cleaner wax. White wax has more cleaning power than the cleaner wax in the maroon container. Depending on the pad used, white wax can do some impressive correction. White wax does have abrasives in it.

I have never used those maroon bottle compounds and polishes but the ultimate line is as close as one can get to the professional line. I would recommend ultimate compound, polish and if you are looking for long term protection then ultimate wax.

As always proceed with a test spot with the least aggressive combination.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Thank you. So far, by hand, the maroon bottle cleaner wax just did not give me the shine that using that maroon rubbing compound did.
      So I was thinking of doing the 3 step application process like you suggested with a compound, polish then wax, so thanks for the particular suggestions.
      Can you recommend a grade or roughness of pad that would be safe in the hands of amateurs with a buffer?

Comment

Start with a polishing pad and ultimate polish.

Is he using a dual action polisher or rotary?
        99 Grand Prix
        02 Camaro SS

Comment

Rotary.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');