• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to this forum

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
    Below are typical examples of what holograms generally look like:

(Courtesy Mike Phillips)
    you beat me to it! Thanks Davey!

Comment

Originally posted by davey g-force View Post
      Below are typical examples of what holograms generally look like:

(Courtesy Mike Phillips)
      Thanks for the heads-up.

Comment

Originally posted by h_bomm View Post
        Sorry, kinda hard for me to explain. You will know it when you see it. Actually, I just google imaged "rotary holograms" and it popped right up so look for it there. Sounds like you found a winner though so I doubt it will be a problem! Hope it works out for you!

Comment

I'm pretty sure holograms come from using the edge of a pad on a rotary instead of keeping it flat like you're supposed to. But like I said, it sounds like you found a guy who takes pride in his work, stands behind it, and uses proper technique.

Comment

Finally got a sunny day and this is the best picture of the micro scratches I could get.

Comment

Best picture i could get with the mirror. If one looks close enough, you can see the haze from the wet sand marks.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSip View Post

Finally got a sunny day and this is the best picture of the micro scratches I could get.
                Definitely looks fixable..
                Originally posted by Blueline
                I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Off to the detail shop in the morning. Will pick up "baby" on Wednesday and let y'all know how she came out.

Comment

Sweet! Looking forward to hearing about your results!

Comment

So, the detail shop called me back early. Said they spent half the day working on the right side of the Vette, the worse side. Couldn't get the micro scratches out. Looked at it myself. No difference after all his work.
                      BEFORE I brought the car in, and WHEN I dropped the car off, I explained to him the advice I got here. M105 followed by M205... speed, pressure, different type pads were important. He said he used 3M Polish. What? Was I talking to myself? This is the guy who told me "This is all I do. I don't see any problems bringing the showroom shine back". When he failed, all I heard were lame excuses.
                      Seems every shop I talk to now tells me the same 'no problem' line. WILMINGTON, NORTH CAROLINA... is there ANYONE who has the experience to work on Vette clear?

Comment

From what I've read, Corvette clear coat is hard. You'll probably need MF pads, or even a rotary to correct those swirls. They certainly don't look that bad though...
                        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

You could try posting in the detailer wanted forum to see if there is someone near you that can do the job for you.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Man that stinks. I wish I was near North Carolina so I could help you out but unfortunately I'm stuck in the ice cube that is central Minnesota. Good advice by Guz about posting in the "Detailer wanted" section to see if you can get some help. Good Luck!

Comment

UPDATE - Spent hours/days talking to everyone in town, even the chevy dealership. All I got back was, "Can't be fixed". Seems everyone in this town is hooked on 3M products. So I decided to pick up a bottle of Meguiar's M-205 polish and some "ICE" paste wax.
                              First place I tried was the roof pillar (original Corvette clear). Applied the M-205 on a microfiber cloth sponge... BY HAND. Worked it, then buffed it off. Applied a second coat. Then applied two coats of paste wax. IMO, it appears 95% FIXED. Then I tried the same process on the right A-Pillar (after market) which had the most scratches. Again, about 95% FIXED.
                              Next step is to purchase a DA Buffer and 2.0 pads. Start off with medium pressure (3 - 4 passed) followed by lite pressure (2 passes) using M-205 polish in small 1' x 1' areas. Set buffer speed to 4.5. Will try one small section of the rear fender using the DA buffer/M-205 polish/2.0 pads and see what it looks like in the sun. I have high hopes... but my neck isn't gonna like me.

Comment

Good to see you're making progress. A DA will help things along.

Don't be afraid to step up to UC if you need to...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');