• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Detaling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Detaling

Hey guys, just thought I'd introduce myself.

I finally bought a 'new' car and have been reading the Meguiars forums ever since. Essentially, I'm just trying to keep my car's paint looking brand new.

And a couple questions:

I've been religious with washing and hand drying, so the car is cleaner than when i bought I think. However, I keep reading how its a good idea to clay the car. The thing is I put 2 coats of Ultimate Liquid Wax on with my D/A this past weekend.

1. So if I clay the car within the next few weeks will it take off all of the ULW?
    2. My soft buff 2.0 finishing pad (6.5") seems to absorb most of the wax I'm trying to put on the vehicle. I think I went through close to half the bottle in just 2 applications. Any suggestions?

What I have to work with is:
    1. a Porter Cable D/A, 2 soft buff 2.0 polishing pads, 1 finishing
    2. UC, UP, and ULW
    3. UQD & UQW
    4. turtle wax ICE car wash
    5. a bunch of microfiber towels

And heres kind of a close-up of the condition of the paint, its a dark grey 2013 Subaru wrx

Re: New to Detaling

Oh, and its my daily driver. Will be putting over 1,000 miles a month on it, so i know I have some serious work cut out for me. I dont know what I'm going to do once winter rolls around

My cleaning OCD should help...

Comment

1. So if I clay the car within the next few weeks will it take off all of the ULW?
      Yes... or at least wont be able to tell where it did and didnt.

2. My soft buff 2.0 finishing pad (6.5") seems to absorb most of the wax I'm trying to put on the vehicle. I think I went through close to half the bottle in just 2 applications. Any suggestions?
      Umm... you did something wrong...

Generally you want to put your first few dots on the pad and smear them around, so the pad isnt dry. The first panel may take a bit more ax as the pad absorbs some more.

After that, you should be pretty much just putting on a few dots and doing a panel.

Maybe you are trying to make the coating too thick. It should really be barely visible.

Have you applied a coat by hand at all? Taking it a bit easier like that for a panel or two, or for one of the applications, may help see how thin the coat of wax can be, even when you know you just covered an area.

What I have to work with is:
      1. a Porter Cable D/A, 2 soft buff 2.0 polishing pads, 1 finishing
      2. UC, UP, and ULW
      3. UQD & UQW
      4. turtle wax ICE car wash
      5. a bunch of microfiber towels
      Clay, then UP, then 2 coats of wax wouldnt hurt either, if you are going to be more complete this time through.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

You used way too much wax. With waste you can easily get 18 applications with one bottle.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like you're trying to get too much wax on there. "Thin is in"..
          Originally posted by Blueline
          I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

oops, it seems like I'm not the only one used too much of ULW.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like this weekend I will go get some clay and then be more careful with the ULW

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');