• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion... Mouse over items.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion... Mouse over items.

I was searching around another message board today and noticed that their acronyms were underlined and highlighted red in all the posts by all the users.

You could then hold your cursor over the acronym and a "pointer tip" would show up telling you what the acronym stood for.

It would look something like this in the message: "I was using #26 as my LSP and was really impressed by the resluts..."

Now if you were to hold your mouse over the "#26" the pointer tip would say "#26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax" and "LSP" would say "Last Step Product".

Is that something that could be done here at MOL? Just thought that it might make it easier for the newer readers. Might not even be possible!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

That is an awesome idea, that would really help those who are new and trying to understand everything.

Comment

This would primarily depend on the abilities of the software that Meguiar's uses to produce these forums, namely vBulletin. I cannot speak as to whether vBulletin can do this or not.

I do agree that it would be a very cool and handy thing to have, but would require some work. As it is, there are 66 Meguiar's acronyms that you, gb387, so generously posted to the forum.

If each item were to be hand-coded in HTML, it would look like this:
      Code:
      LSP

As MOL does not allow HTML coding in their forum posts, probably for security reasons, I cannot show you what it would actually look like live. However, here is a screen shot from the World Wide Web Consortium sidebar with the cursor over the acronym HTML:

If you are a Windows user, you are probably familiar with this on your PC. In the Windows operating system it is known as a ToolTip.

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
        If each item were to be hand-coded in HTML, it would look like this:

Code:
        LSP

As MOL does not allow HTML coding in their forum posts, probably for security reasons, I cannot show you what it would actually look like live.
        This is correct. the .html code option for posts to our forum is disabled for security reasons.

I'm not sure if upgrading to a newer version of vbulletin would fix this, but I'll look into it.

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Suggestion... Mouse over items.

Originally posted by gb387
          Is that something that could be done here at MOL? Just thought that it might make it easier for the newer readers. Might not even be possible!
          Check your PM's

Thanks,

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
            As MOL does not allow HTML coding in their forum posts, probably for security reasons,
            I was pretty sure I knew what the security reason were but I made a phone call to double check and confirm and I was right.

If we allow .html code in posts, this will also allow java script. Together, this will allow bad people to do bad things. I'm not going to elaborate any further as to what these things are. Suffice to say, we have had one person do a bad thing one time on our forum and it was dealt with swiftly.

I also found out there is a work-around, that's not bullet-proof but doable.

Mike
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
              I was pretty sure I knew what the security reason were but I made a phone call to double check and confirm and I was right.

If we allow .html code in posts, this will also allow java script. Together, this will allow bad people to do bad things. I'm not going to elaborate any further as to what these things are. Suffice to say, we have had one person do a bad thing one time on our forum and it was dealt with swiftly.

I also found out there is a work-around, that's not bullet-proof but doable.

Mike
              Fine by me. I don't think anyone really needs to have access to HTML coding in the forums. The available vB code does everything most any of us would want to do. If having the HTML off keeps things secure for the forums, and easier for the moderators, then I'm all for it. I was just wanting to show what it would look like in case anyone was wondering what was being discussed. I just used the image as a work-around. No big deal.

Comment

Re: Re: Suggestion... Mouse over items.

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                Check your PM's

Thanks,

Mike
                PM'ed you back. I have been having Internet trouble all night so you should have it. I am told by my ISP "The entire state of Iowa is having trouble"!?!?

If you did not get it let me know.
                Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');