• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black paint care suggested products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black paint care suggested products

I have a new Acura MDX in Formula Black and am trying to come up with the best Meg. products to use in conjunction with a G110 DA. Obviously, swirls and scratches are an issue. I looked briefly through the form and can't find suggested products and steps that other black car owners are using. Any suggestions?

Here's what I've been using:
    Speed Glaze (#80)
    Ultra Finishing Polish (205)
    NXT Tech Wax 2.0

The finished result looks pretty darn good, but I can still see minor scratches. What else should I be using or doing? Also, If you can recommend speed settings, that too would be usefull.

-G

Re: Black paint care suggested products

I used some Ultimate compound on my Sierra and I worked very well. I followed it up with M205 (My new favorite) and it was ready for wax.
    White 1967 Pontiac GTO
    Black 2009 GMC Sierra SLT

Comment

I think 80 and 205 are pretty close to each other in terms of abrasion, so you might want to consider moving to something with a little more cutting ability. If the remaining scratches are very light, then using UC or M105 might be the sledgehammer approach. Using the least-aggressive methodology, try something like M83. But keep in mind that if your black car is a daily driver, you will have to settle for some light scratching and swirling over time. Trying to keep your black finish perfect by polishing too often will abrade your clear coat down to the nubs in no time.

Comment

Maybe give our new Ultimate Compound and SwirlX a try? You use them the same way and their available at most auto parts stores, then top with your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Wash & Dry car
        Clay paint
        Do Test Spot
        Go over paint with Ultimate Compound
        Go over the paint with SwirlX
        Apply your favorite wax or paint sealant

Swirl and Scratch Removers
        Ultimate Compound
        SwirlX

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads
        W8207 - Washable Foam Polishing Pad
        W9207 - Washable Foam Finishing Pad

Meguiar's always teaches,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

The key factor to a scratch is its depth. The way you remove scratches is to remove some paint off the surface until you level the surface with lowest portion of the deepest scratches.

From Hot Topics

What it means to remove a scratch out of anything...

So start with SwirlX and one of our yellow foam polishing pads and polish out a section about 16" square or so... then inspect your results in good lighting and see if the defects you're trying to remove have been removed as compared to the paint surrounding your test spot, and then make sure the paint is clear and glossy. If it is, you just dialed in a process you can successfully use around the rest of the car. If you're not seeing the results you want then post back here what you're seeing.

Be sure to read these,

How To use: G110 - G220 - G100 - PC/Porter Cable - UDM
        If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
        Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
        (These are all similar tools)

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Cleaning Your Pad On The Fly

Which products need to dry before removing?

How to tape-off a car

How to apply product to the face of your foam buffing pads

The Swipe Test

Final Wiping Techniques

How to maintain your car's finish in-between polishing sessions

How-To capture swirls, scratches, etchings and other surface defects with your camera

Then go do some of this -->
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks, Mike. Very helpfull. Just so I'm following... Use UC & Swirl-X in place of the 80 and 205 I've been using? Which sealant would you recommend?

Not only is this black MDX a "daily driver" vehicle, but I put 30K miles a year on my cars in Cleveland weather. But when the weather turns and the sun is our, I can't help myself and want this black finish to look as good as I can get it while protecting it the best I can. Crazy I know...

Comment

I would try 83 it usually works great on soft Honda paint

Comment

Originally posted by ghaines View Post

Just so I'm following... Use UC & Swirl-X in place of the 80 and 205 I've been using?
              Yes, that would be a good combo. Note that SMAT products are very Different that DAT products in how you can use them. With DAT products you need to work them long enough to have completely broken down the diminishing abrasives. With SMAT products you can stop anytime in the buffing cycle with no negative effect. That means you only need to work the product long enough to remove the defect, once the defect is removed you can stop working the product, wipe the residue off and then move onto the next section or step.

Which sealant would you recommend?
              I usually don't like to make specific recommendations when it comes to choice of which wax or paint sealant. At this time I use Tech Wax on my Jimmy and it always looks good.

Not only is this black MDX a "daily driver" vehicle, but I put 30K miles a year on my cars in Cleveland weather. But when the weather turns and the sun is our, I can't help myself and want this black finish to look as good as I can get it while protecting it the best I can. Crazy I know...
              Nothing wrong with a clean shiny car!

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

"Black paint care suggested products"

I would have to add to the list of products in a different manner. Yes the different polishes and compounds and wax's are good, do not forget about all the little details that help it also.

Grit Guard when washing
                Good quality wash mit
                Good quality MF's, you can use all the products you want, but if you are not caring for your paint when removing products or using a QD'r with a good quality MF, you could just ruin your hard work.

just my .02
                Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

Thanks, Matt.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');