• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coin car wash??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin car wash??

Can some one tell me if the soap at a coin car wash has any ill affects on wax?? I use Hoffmans Car Wash.

Re: Coin car wash??

usually coin washes recycle water, with very little filtration, other than that shouldnt be bad.

only problem i have seen is that some places let hydrolic fluid spills leak into the water... not good at all...

i have to use coin washes to, i just wax regularly and boost a lot in between waxings.

Comment

It is usually a strong soap, which will hurt the life of the wax.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Never

Comment

When I use the coin washes I avoid the soap spray and the soaping brush entirely I use high pressure "wax" for the pre-rinse, then use my own bucket and soap for the wash, and then use high-pressure wax for a quick rinse, followed by the spot free rinse.

Works great for me in a pinch.

Comment

About the only time I use those washes is when I am doing the complete process. Claying everything. Then the harsh soap does not bother me at all. I just make sure to rinse the vehicle twice.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Thanks for all the info!! I live in NY, So it's getting to cold to wash by hand, My preferred way always. So now I turn to the car wash. And I always hand dry after I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                When I use the coin washes I avoid the soap spray and the soaping brush entirely I use high pressure "wax" for the pre-rinse, then use my own bucket and soap for the wash, and then use high-pressure wax for a quick rinse, followed by the spot free rinse.
                Mark, let me make sure I understand. You use the wax option for both the pre-rinse and the post-rinse, as opposed to the rinse option?

Al
                Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                --Al Kimel

Comment

I always use them for my Chicago winter washes but I only use the rinse option. I rinse the car, and do one of the following depending on how dirty the car is:

1) use a 2 gal garden sprayer with 2 oz/gal of NXT, rinse, wipe and go.
                  2) use the two bucket method w/grit guards
                  3) use a 1 bucket method w/grit guard if it's just too cold

I might try adding a spray of some full strength LT to #1 but I haven't had much luck with using QD or NXT Spray Wax in the cold

I usually use a Cali squeegee on the windows to speed drying since I can't flood. I've tried it on paint with no probs but I'll stick to windows only for sanity sake.

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                    Mark, let me make sure I understand. You use the wax option for both the pre-rinse and the post-rinse, as opposed to the rinse option?

Al
                    Yup

At my wash the "wax" option is nothing more than high-pressure water with a little "wax" mixed in. I use this rather than their potentially harsh soap to do the pre-rinse, then I use my own soap in my buckets for the wash, followed by a quick 30 second run around the car with the high-pressure wax to push the bubbles off, followed by a 1-2 minute rinse with spot-free water top to bottom.

Does that help?

Comment

I do this sometimes when we go offroading and don't feel like cleaning the driveway or street from all the mud that comes off. Just rinse for a long time and the under body then drive home and wash it and finish up there.

Ryan
                      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                        Yup

At my wash the "wax" option is nothing more than high-pressure water with a little "wax" mixed in. I use this rather than their potentially harsh soap to do the pre-rinse, then I use my own soap in my buckets for the wash, followed by a quick 30 second run around the car with the high-pressure wax to push the bubbles off, followed by a 1-2 minute rinse with spot-free water top to bottom.

Does that help?
                        Thanks. I'll have to check to see what the options are at my local coin-op--not of course that I am admitting that I will under any circumstances take my car to it ...
                        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                        --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by MrWaxer View Post
                          Thanks for all the info!! I live in NY, So it's getting to cold to wash by hand, My preferred way always. So now I turn to the car wash. And I always hand dry after I'm done.
                          Just a heads up.
                          None of the DIY or Touchless washes I have used leave my vehicles clean enough to touch them with a drying towel. All of them leave a film of dirt and dragging that over your paint can't be good.
                          Charles
                          The Rainmaker

Comment

@Mark Kleis: Good tip. I'll will have to try that

If I use a coin-op car wash (I'll admit that I will do that in the wintertime). I never use the brush. I usually use the pre-wash, soap, high pressure rinse, then air dryer. Immediately, I then apply either Quik Wax. This is usually my winter routine and then I will deal with the proper detailing when the weather breaks. I find doing the final detail before the cold months using a good wax with spray wax touch ups help in not having road grime adhere to the paint.

Comment

The wash I use has no "wax" ,they have what they call a 2 step sealant. It's a yellow and purple foam or rain x. I use the high pressure soap first and then after thoroughly rinsing there foam brush, wash and rinse. Then dry by hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');