• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add a watermark to your pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add a watermark to your pictures

How to add a watermark to your pictures

This is a basic, but detailed, tutorial on how to add a watermark to your picture to keep others from claiming it as their own.

First off, what is a watermark? A watermark is a code embedded into digital material that can be used to establish ownership, may be visible or invisible to the user.

The program that will be used in this demonstration is Paint.NET (basically a free, dumbed down version of Photoshop, but still a powerful picture editor for the price) is available free of charge and can be downloaded from http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Screenshot of the Paint.NET download page

Click on the circled green "Download Now" box. This will take you to the Download Now page to download the program.

Screenshot of the Download.com download page for the Paint.NET program

After you click on the Download Now button, the download will begin. The easiest way to install the program is to save it to your Desktop so it will be easy to find. Once it is downloaded, double click on the icon to begin the program installation. Once you have the program installed, start the program by either double clicking on the newly created Desktop icon or accessing it though your Start Menu in the Programs tab.

Once the program is open, you can open the picture you want to add a watermark to by either using the shortcut "Ctrl + O" or using the "File --> Open" menu tab in the upper-left hand corner of the program.

Here is the picture I will be using in the demonstration

The next step is to create a new layer. This allows the text to be added to the image, without actually being on the picture itself. This enables you to alter the text without altering the image. Let's go ahead and create a new layer by going to "Layers --> Add New Layer" (Ctrl + Shift + N).

Screenshot of the Add New Layer button

You have just created a new layer, named Layer 2. You will see a box on the right side of the program named "Layers." You will have the Background layer on the bottom, and Layer 2 on top. You want the new layer on top so the text will actually be on top of your image. Makes sense, right?

Now to add the text, or watermark, to the image. To do that, you need to get to the Text option. To do this, go towards the upper-left part of the program to where it says "Tool." Click the little arrow, go down to "Text" and click it.

Screenshot of the Text option

Once you click on the Text option, this will bring up the Text Toolbar right above your picture.

Screenshot of the Text Toolbar's Location

Here you can select your font, font size, and formatting options such as Bold Text, Italicized Text, or Underlined Text. If you want or need to change the text color, before you start to type the text, look towards the bottom-left part of the program. That is you color selection box. Your Primary color (default is black) will be the color of your text. Now it is time to get the text onto the picture. Once you are using the text tool, wherever you click on the picture, is where the text is going to going to start. In my case, I chose a lighter section of the picture so I could easily see what was being typed. I had a high resolution photo with large dimensions, so I needed a very large font size to cover the picture. You will want your text to cover your entire image so no one else can just crop your watermark out of the picture. Once you type your text, you can use the 4-pointed arrow at the bottom right of the text to move your text around. After you have typed it and moved it, you can now click off of the text to move onto the next step. A word of caution here: once you click off of the text, you cannot go back and edit the format of the text (i.e.- color, font, font size...). If you make a mistake, you must undo your "actions" under the "Edit" tab until the text is gone. You can then redo your text. If it is a placement error, you can fix that. I will explain that later.

Here is what mine looked like with the text typed and in place

If you have two layers, and your text looks how you want it and is where you want it, you are ready to move on.

*Optional Step* Rotating the text if need be or if you want to. I chose to rotate mine so the text didn't just simply cover the object/focus of the picture. If you would like to do this, here we go. If not, read ahead to the next step. In order to do this, we need to go to the Rotate/Zoom option for our text layer (Layer 2). To get there, go to "Layer --> Rotate/Zoom" (Ctrl + Shift + Z). This will bring up the Rotation/Zoom box.

Rotate/Zoom Option

Rotate/Zoom Box

With this box, you can rotate the text, twist it, pan it (this is one of the places you can move your text around a bit and get it exactly where you want it.), or zoom the text in/out to make it bigger or smaller. I simply rotated mine 25 degrees. Feel free to mess around a bit here. It will preview your changes on the picture behind this box and you can reset everything with the Reset All button or cancel your changes and start over.

Also, the other way to move your text around is to click on the white arrow with the + sign on the bottom of it. This will allow you to "grab" your text layer and move it around.

Picture with Text Rotated

Now onto the last text editing part of this tutorial, the text opacity. This is where you will fade the text so it does not take away from the picture, but leaves your mark visible. Onto the Layer Properties. "Layers --> Layer Properties" (F4).

Layer Properties

Layer Properties Box

You are concerned with the Opacity option. Use your mouse to grab onto that slider and move it on down until the text has faded enough not to take away from your picture, but still be visible.

Here is my text faded over the picture

There is only one final step to making this a savable picture. Remember, you have 2 layers. We need to get that to one, and it is really easy. Simply go to "Image --> Flatten" (Ctrl + Shift + X). You should now notice there is only one layer again (layer box on the right), Background.

Flattened (Merged) Image

While here, you can also resize the picture. To do this, go to "Image --> Resize" (Crtl +R).

Image Resize

Image Resize Box

You can either reduce the image by a specified %, or manually change the dimensions. Keep the "Maintain Aspect Ration" box checked if you want the program to keep your image in proportion automatically. Once you enter a new value into either the width or height box, the correct value for the other option will automatically be change. Click OK to accept. Now your image is resized and has a watermark on it!

Remember: Make sure when you go to save the file, use the "Save As..." option to rename your picture. This will prevent you from saving over your original copy of the picture. If you do, there is no fixing it. Here's a tip: When I edit a picture, I like to copy the original and edit the copy so if something like that does happen, I did not ruin the original picture!

Final Image

Written by Tyler Clegg (roushtage2) for Meguiar's Online Forums. If you find any errors, please let me know so that I can get them fixed! Thanks!

Re: How to add a watermark to your pictures

Hey Tyler great How-To
    Very detailed explanation, that's for taking the time and sharing this with the community

If you upload a picture to the Meguiar's Gallery, by it self it think that a watermark is created, I've seen on the down right corner.

Comment

Very nice!

Thank you for creating this how to article showing people how to create their own watermark using free software.

We usually place how to articles related to the forum versus car care in this forum group, New to discussion forums? but we think we have enough forum related how to articles that they need their own place to be in the Information Station. Sometime this morning we'll create a new sub-forum and then move the forum related how to articles into it.

Thank you very much for creating this how-to article, we're sure there will many people that will use it into the future.

p.s.

If you or anyone else wants to create a how to article using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Elements, that would also be very cool as there are a lot of people that do own this software and don't know how to create a watermark using it.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Tyler,

Thanks for taking the time to explain and go step by step on this. I even understood it. lol. Thanks again for the excellent tutorial for us.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Tyler,

As my wife would say, you're awesome! As others have mentioned I understood it. Thank you very much.
          Michael

Talent hits a target no-one else can hit; genius hits targets no-one else can see. - Schopenhauer

Comment

thanks, if I add a watermark, I try not to put it across the middle of the pic, I've put it a few times in a not so obvious place, like I've put ones on the rocker panels of cars, and you wouldnt really see it, unless you know it's there. Or you can put it in the bottom corner, and even if someone crops the photo, you can show the larger version
            2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Thanks guys! I could do one for Photoshop too, if anyone wanted. Photoshop has an actual watermark option, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                Photoshop has an actual watermark option, IIRC.
                Yes, I was thinking on doing it but I don't have much time. Work/class/detailing has all piled up this week for me

Comment

There is a Digimarc option, but you have to be registered on the site (the cheapest subscription is $79/year). Of course, if you are into serious photography publishing, this would be the most beneficial because Photoshop will take that information and hide it in the photo. I will take a look around later and work on a more advanced write-up for Photoshop, provided it actually has a watermark option that is free and does not require the simple text placement like Paint.NET.

EDIT: Photoshop has more text options. I will be working on a less detailed, more advanced write up for Photoshop. Photoshop is an advanced editing program so I am going to assume that if someone is using it, they are moderately computer literate.

Comment

Paint.net is a very nice freeware program. It is an open source, so they are always updating the program.

Nice How To's as well found on their forum. http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/index.php

They have a link so that you can create GIF's as well...

Have not used Paint.net for sometime, but it was fun messing with it.

2003' Ford SVT Cobra
                    2007' Honda S2000

My Cobra: http://0-1320feet.com/other_mycar.html

Comment

GIFs are the one thing I haven't done yet. I really need to take a look at that! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2 View Post
                        GIFs are the one thing I haven't done yet. I really need to take a look at that! Thanks!

I know Paint.net program is virus free, but i did not install the unfreez program onto my gaming PC found on the link. Should be fine, but I hate restoring old images and have not messed with GIF's since a year ago.

Could do all sorts of things. Avatar GIF's are cool, but most forums restrict the file size, so you end up being limited to 3 frames on most sites.
                        2003' Ford SVT Cobra
                        2007' Honda S2000

My Cobra: http://0-1320feet.com/other_mycar.html

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');