• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copy/paste from MS Word

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copy/paste from MS Word

I'd rather edit messages using Microsoft Word and then copy/paste them into the forum edit box. When I do that I seem to have problems. Usually it will only capture the first line of the pasted text. This seems to be true even if I use text only with no special formatting.

Is there a trick to this?

Re: Copy/paste from MS Word

i know exactly what this is, but don't know how to explain it.

learnt this from blogging. same problem happens.

there is a thread about losing text i believe that Mike Phillips started. very usueful.

same happens if you copy and paste from other websites.

Comment

Thanks. With your help I found Mike's advice here.

Comment

We use Notepad a lot also because MS Word is filled with all kinds of code we can't see, so anytime you're writing a long post with pictures...

Always, Always, Always...

Make a back-up copy in Notepad before hitting the submit button.

It will keep you from pulling your hair out.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Unfortunately, Notepad doesn't spell check so if you want that you could write it in Notepad, paste it into Word to do you spell checking then do edits in Notepad and check again in Word, etc. Or you could just do the same in the with the forum text box. But either way, bouncing around is a hassle. (Note that writing in Word then pasting into Notepad to try to lose the formatting doesn't work. Maybe it would if you saved it in between?)

So far the only problems I've had pasting from Word are caused by apostrophes and quotation marks. If I edit those in the forum text box the messages come through OK (but I always miss at least one when I try that).

If you post it and lose everything past the first apostrophe then click edit, paste in everything without changes and save it as is, the forum will accept the formatting. (Is that weird or what?)

Unfortunately, that works fine for thread posts but it won't work for PMs and it will mess up if somebody tries to quote you (as we saw when Thlian just tried to quote me in another thread).

Since I've only had problems with apostrophes and quote marks I'm guessing that you may simply be able to fix it by changing fonts but I haven't messed with it yet.

PC.

Comment

I have also found three periods in a row cause a problem, and the TM (for trade mark) and the R for registered.
            Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
            Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');