• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when to put in second coat of wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to put in second coat of wax?

Hi everyone,
    What a great forum and everyone so helpful! I recently bought few Meguiars' waxes if not all. M21, #16, NXT liquid, GC liquid wax, and #26 paste. I was very lucky to get these waxes. Reading on the forum many have use at least 2 thin coats of waxes or combination. And its great to see that many combo works great and can't really go wrong.

Let say, I clayed the car, polish with #80 using a PC. Then I apply #21. After 1 hour I would wipe off. Once I wipe it off, how long should I apply a second coat of #21? 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hour, etc?

If I were to do a combination, what combination would NOT work. I think at there was a thread on the forum to not apply #21 then #16 wouldn't work too well because #16 would not bond. Or maybe use #16 first then top with #21. Could someone please clarify.

thank you in advance.
    Sean
    Last edited by truongsean; Jan 26, 2007, 10:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: when to put in second coat of wax?

Originally posted by truongsean View Post
    Once I wipe it off, how long should I apply a second coat of #21? 30 minutes, 1 hour, 4 hour, etc?
    In a perfect world, you want a window-of-time to pass after wipe-off to allow the protection ingredients to fully set-up before you or anything else disrupts them.

From this thread,

NXT Cure Time

Originally posted by mis3
    I am aware of the 12 hour cure time of the NXT tech wax.

My question is by cure time, does it mean I have to keep the car in a closed garage? I am sure I should not drive it if it's raining, how about driving the car is a nice, sunny day? Will the NXT cured during driving?
    The idea behind waiting to apply a second coating is to allow a window-of-time to pass, to insure that all of the polymers have fully set-up. Anytime you introduce water or other liquids to the surface before the polymers have fully set-up you risk disrupting the polymers.

Some people cannot wait, or do not want to wait this long before applying a second coat, I know many times I don't have the luxury of time to wait until the next day to apply a second coat. If you are in this position, then it's completely fine to apply a second coat sooner. The 12 hour window of time is just a best case scenario for those people that want the maximum results possible. It's like giving the benefit of doubt to the process.

After applying the Tech Wax to your car's finish, it's perfectly fine to drive again in sunny weather. It's liquids you want to avoid for the first 12 hours for best possible results. I
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, thank you for answering my question. I'm in no rush so i can wait fo that 12 hour to get the best results.

Should I post the second part of my question on a new thread?

Because I have almost all of the different Meg. waxes now. I've read on the forum that a lot of people have use different combo to put on a second or third. Most use NXT as the last one. Is it possible there are combination that I should avoid?

thanks,
      Sean

Comment

Hi Sean, I usually wait bout 10 minutes as our weather here in Malaysia is very dry & hot. I think it cures faster? I don't use mix combo all that much nowadays. I would do so if I got the time. It does makes some difference but not really a lot. In come down to personnal eye sight tho. Seeing what is nice to u in ur opinion. U can give it a try and see how & which combo suits u. Since u r using the M21, I think it would be good to use M21 as a LSP. I haven't tried M16+M21, but I've tried M20+M16. Not bad & very durable.

Today I just finished my M80, GC top with M21. Very nice & very slick. I've never seen my silver paint so crystal gloss before. My plan was to use M80 & GC's polish oil to really make the paint seen glossy then lock it up with a reflective M21. Mission accomplished. Have a great day Sean. Tq.

Comment

Bernard78,
          Thank you for answering my question. I just got a gallon of M83 a few weeks ago. Going to give the combo a try. Probably tried #16 with NXT tech wax on my 1991 black MR2.

Sean

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');