• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About your clay bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About your clay bars

First let me say I have not tried your Meguirs Clay system, and would like to state why. Bottem line, price.

I just clayed my whole car tonight with Mothers Clay Bar set and it was amazing, my paint is sooooooooooo smooth EVERYWHERE. I choose Mothers Over Meguiars this time (this is rare!) for 3 reasons.

1. Price, I think the clay bar for Meguiars is 22 dollars, and its just the bars. This included 2 bars however, but I dont need 2 bars. If I am going to clay my car I am going to only need one bar not two, I think having a set with one would be much better if its cheaper. Mothers had 1 clay bar plus a full quick spray and small bottle of wax for roughly 16 dollars.

2. Availibility, I saw Mothers looking me in the face every where but only found Meguairs at one place I think it was a local Auto Parts Store.

3. Ease of doing the whole process. As in, Mothers has for only around 16 dollars every thing you need such as the spray, wax (even though I did not use this, I used Meguirs 3 step), and 1 clay bar. I wish Meguiars had a complete set availible at stores with only one clay bar and one full detailing spray, with no wax. This would be perfect for my needs.

I cannot say anything about how good Meguiars clay bars work because I have never tried them. However when it comes to something like this I would have had to spend about 34+ bucks compared to 16. (22 dollars for clay bars, about 6-10 bucks for the detailing spray [depending on the quility], and maby 6 bucks for the wax.)

Any thoughts on why this is so much more money, the results on Mothers was extroddinary, I find it hard to believe it could have been much better with Meguiars as compared to price.
    Just my 2 cents, wanted to let ya know. Thanks!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/stepinfetch

If you like the Mother clay bar you will love the Meguiars. I have tried the Meguiars (white and blue), mothers, sonus, Griots, and adams. They all are a bit different. However that said I still keep buying the meguiars ones. I liked the adams one. It was the most unique out of all of them and worked well, however not that much better to warrant the price difference. I encourage you to give the Meguiars a try. The only reason I wasn't to fond of the mothers one was mostly because of the detailing spray that came with it. The Cinnamon smell bugged me and I didn't feel it had the lubrication some of the others offered.

Comment

Make sure we're comparing apples to apples. The $22 you indicated for the Meg's clay might be for the pro version rather than the consumer version Quik Clay.

I have used all three clays. The Megs quick clay, the Mother's clay, and the detailer clay.

Quik Clay is available OTC but I haven't seen it either. I agree with you there. This does include the QD spray lube also. The clay should last for about 3-4 cars. Plus check out this product's price. $9.99 and I don't have to buy a wax I won't use anyway since I have NXT and #21.

The Mother's was a quality product. This was the first clay product I used. I even used the mother's clay with Meg's QD. Same amount of cars as Quik clay. No problems here except the Mother's clay price is higher than Meguiar's Quik Clay.

Now for the Mild Detailing Clay. I use Last Touch Spray Detailer at 50/50 with water for clay lube. I was reluctant to pay that price for the clay but after using I won't go back to the consumer product again. To me the detail clay seems to remove the bonded contaminants with fewer passes than the previous two clays I wrote about. If you detail for money this will save time and make you money. And the cost is better in the long run as I can clay more cars with the larger bar and bulk lube.

If the amount of vehicles is not a concern then the Quik Clay is the way to go.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Comment

Re: About your clay bars

Originally posted by Stepinfetch
        First let me say I have not tried your Meguiar's Clay system, and would like to state why. Bottom line, price.

Just my 2 cents, wanted to let ya know. Thanks!
        Hi Stepinfetch,

We sincerely appreciate your feedback on this topic.

Thank you.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Stepinfetch
          I wish Meguiars had a complete set availible at stores with only one clay bar and one full detailing spray, with no wax. This would be perfect for my needs.
          Yea, those knuckleheads shoulda thought of that! Oh wait a second. Quik Clay , not hard to find if you look. Go to a real auto parts store and ask if they can get the Quik Clay kit. I've ALWAYS seen it cheaper than the Mothers kit.

SL

Comment

Thanks guys! Looks like you have what I have been looking for exactly. Only problem is I cant find it anywhere but online.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/stepinfetch

Comment

I was at Pepboys the other day and saw that Mothers system you are talking about (right now i'm searching on how to save my clay bar because i have 200 grams of it) and also saw it for $16. That mothers system only has 80 grams worth of clay.

I bought the 200 gram detailers clay for $20 at a local meguiars dealer (use the search function on the meguiar's e-store link and make sure it's on Meguiars Professional products) and am quite happy with it. The instructions on the Meguiars clay bar say to use 1/3 of it so i realize this bar will last me for a looooong time. and if you really compare it from the standpoint of money, you can see that Meguiars is either at the same price point or lower when you compare the products that way. Now i need to figure out how to put it away so it will last and my $20 won't go down the drain.

*DiamondJim*

Comment

Originally posted by DiamondJim
                I was at Pepboys the other day and saw that Mothers system you are talking about (right now i'm searching on how to save my clay bar because i have 200 grams of it) and also saw it for $16. That mothers system only has 80 grams worth of clay.

I bought the 200 gram detailers clay for $20 at a local meguiars dealer (use the search function on the meguiar's e-store link and make sure it's on Meguiars Professional products) and am quite happy with it. The instructions on the Meguiars clay bar say to use 1/3 of it so i realize this bar will last me for a looooong time. and if you really compare it from the standpoint of money, you can see that Meguiars is either at the same price point or lower when you compare the products that way. Now i need to figure out how to put it away so it will last and my $20 won't go down the drain.

*DiamondJim*
                If you don't have a plastic jar to store it in, use a small freezer (plastic) bag. I saved the jar that my Overspray Clay came in for my Clay Magic Bar.

RamAirV1
                2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

yah it comes in this black container, im thinking i need to use glad wrap to cover it completely and without the oxygen you'd get from a ziplock bag. thx

*DiamondJim*

Comment

Also, they generally recommend spraying some lube on the clay before you store it.

RamAirV1
                    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I just yanked out 1/2 a bar of quick clay from a zip-lock bag (In the bag since Aug last year)-Kind of forgot about it, got misplaced and now re-found. It was still good. All I did, when I originally bought it was, tear half off-- used it; this half went into a freezer bag, took the air out and stored it. Never thought to lube it before storage. Good Idea

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');