• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem With Trim (and GC Trim Detailer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With Trim (and GC Trim Detailer)

I have an odd problem with some of the trim on my 1997 Accord. I have used many products until I found Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer. I have since used that exclusively and it's been great.

However, today I ran my car through a car wash and when the car was dried, I noticed some of the trim was quite off in color. The trim has previously been a bit dirty (it has rained here in the past week.) Now, the rear trim (behind the tires to the back bumper) and the front license plate holder (the rubber piece which hooks into the bumper) are nearly white. I am at school and have no Meguiar's products with me, so I can't give it a thorough cleaning and dressing. However, I find it quite odd certain parts of the trim are now nearly white. Does Trim Detailer have any sort of effects like this? I have never seen it in the past and the randomness of the locations of the white trim are pretty odd.

To further describe the white, it's not white like there is a residue on it (like wax) but it actually looks like the trim is colored white. I just don't get it...

Thanks.
    - Brian
    2006 Acura TSX with Navi
    Past: 1997 Honda Accord LX

Those black parts, especially on the rear bumpers, will turn white for some reason. It's how the material acts. Can't say that is your situation for certain, but if I had to guess, that's what I'd say every time. Look around at other Hondas and you'll see it from time to time.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I had a similar situation with the GC Trim Detailer. I had used the APC from the Detailer line to clean all my Black Plastic Trim on my Honda Ridgeline. After cleaning the trim. I just wiped it all down with a clean MF. I did not dampen it or anything. Anyway, after doing this I applied GC Trim Detailer on the Trim. I was a happy man. it looked better than the day I bought it.

But, a few days to a week later, I washed. I had the same issue as you. My Trim had turned white. It did not all turn white but those areas I worked heavily with the APC did.

My suspicion was that I probably should have done a better job of removing the APC prior to applying the GC Trim Detailer. Since then, I have still been using the GC Trim Detailer and have not needed to clean with APC anymore. I have washed several more times and am not getting the whitening anymore.

So I was just curious as to whether or not you may have hit the trim with some sort of a dedicated cleaner and "may" not have taken it off thoroughly, then applied the GC Trim Detailer over this residual cleaner.

Editing here and adding an afterthought. Be advised this is something I know nothing about but I do remeber seeing some discussion in here somewhere about some products and methods can remove the "plasticisers" in/on the plastic. Folks, please let me know if I spelled that correctly. So you might wish to do a little searching through the forum to see if "possibly" this could be your problem. I was thinking there might be a possibility that you may have used a product to clean the plastic or may have used a method that was a little to aggressive and this might have done something to these plasticisers. Again, Just kicking out something to think back on.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Actually, the only thing I use to clean the trim prior to applying the dressing is car wash soap and water. I do give it a thorough cleaning, however. I simply go over it while doing my 2 rounds around the car. Odd that this just happened now and that it is only on certain areas.

Another thing that irritates me is the trim detailer seems to run when it rains heavily. Oh well -- it looks good before the rain!

I will have to go over the affected trim when I return home and see if the whiteness returns to the normal black. The trim is obviously faded after 8 years of wear and tear, but does look fairly good untreated and great when dressed. Unfortunately, not so much now with the white.
        - Brian
        2006 Acura TSX with Navi

Comment

I have not had the white problem you talk about but....

As for the product streaking in the rain, I apply the product, let is sit for a few min then remove the excess with a clean cotton towel to prevent the streaks. Works very well and never had a problem since I started a final wipe down.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Ironically, I do the same thing.
            - Brian
            2006 Acura TSX with Navi

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');