• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

ok this is the last straw before i quit meguiars all together. got a carshow coming up want to get my paint in shape.. its an 08 gmc sierra with black cherry metallic paint. got some swirls.. tryed ultimate compound.. left hazy fine swirls everywhere so i just figured it was too much cut for my paint.. got swirl x.. same thing.. got ultimate polish.. pre waxing glaze.. supposed to take out fine swirls.. IT SWIRLS MY PAINT. I have applied with foam pads, terry cloths, microfiber.. anywhere from giving it hell to barely working it.. all new stuff... im lost.. just ridiculous and pissing me off.. my paint looks liek **** now.. truck was completely clean before doing anything.. not happy

Re: Help

Pics would help a lot. Also, lets just focus on a fender, or smaller area of paint. No point in doing an entire Sierra every time to see what happens.

Sounds like the paint is fairly soft on those, based on other posts.

What did you apply the UC with originally?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i didnt do the whole truck. i did a few spots on hood and a fender... It has to be just soft paint but i mean even a glaze leaving swirls?? I originally bought one of the deals you buy with 3 pads (foam,terry, and micro cloth) so i wasnt using my fingers and causing pressure points.. I was fairly aggressive at forst but then when i went back over with other products i was very gentle and even tried to massage it in.. even the glaze on a fresh spot going very easy swirled the paint.... i just got sick of it.. I just used tech wax over all of it just to cover it up because im just disgusted..

Comment

If ypou honestly have a truck to do and do it the way meguiars says.. it would take 10 hours.. people have jobs.. thats just asking too much and i have yet to try a product from them that doesnt ruin something on my truck.. let alone makes it olook good...

Comment

Certainly dont want to use the terry pad then. Havent seen the Meguiars pads sold like that. Hopefully the foam/MF was good quality as well if not Meguiars.

I would want to try to use a cleaner/wax, dont know if you have one on hand?

Getting a vehicle with paint that soft just makes things a headache, for a pro or a weekend guy.

Comment

i originally used the foam pad.. i dont use terry.. they have scratched in the past... all i used was the foam on the UC then i used micro fiber on the rest.. im still baffled how a glaze would swirl my truck.. im ready ot just take it to a professional and have it fixed.. i have spent 60 bucks just trying to find a product to fix what the first one did and just end up with a bigger mess.. i dont have any cleaner wax.. i did not htink that would take out swirls.. just cover them up???

Comment

First of all, I'm sorry to hear you are having these troubles and are obviously quite frustrated. We've all been there.

One of the things that makes automotive detailing so challenging is the fact that there is a massive variance from one paint to another, one car to another, and as a result there is no magic bullet. One product, one process, one theory might work one time on a "black 2010 Chevy truck," and the next black 2010 Chevy truck might behave entirely differently.

That said, you absolutely should not be creating any swirls by using Ultimate Polish, especially if applied properly with clean materials. It is not an aggressive product, so if that is creating swirls something else seems wrong.

Are you 100% sure you are not just seeing damage that was already there from the Ultimate Compound or possibly even SwirlX? (SwirlX is very mild as well).

As far as other variables, do not use terry to apply or remove anything if you are suggesting that you have soft paint. You will want to stick with foam applicators only for the application and clean microfiber towels for the product removal.

Can you elaborate in more detail about what your process was for each product? In other words, what was your working time and area, and how much product was applied to the applicator each time? Also be sure to specify which applicator was used in each case.

Did you check your work after each application? Where in the process did you notice you were damaging the paint?

Is there any chance you can get some digital pictures to share?

Here is a THREAD that shows how to post pictures.

Comment

ya sorry its waxed over now.. ok.. started with UC and new foam pad.. went over it about 3 times a 6" by 6" section.. had the hand polisher thing the pad attaches to so my poressure was distributed evenly.. I pressed fairly firm then lighter then barely pressed just gliding over the surface.. kept plenty of product on and didnt let it dry.. pulled it out in the sun looked terrible.. just fine swirls.. thousands.. so many it looked hazy.. went back to autozone got swirlx. applied where i applied UC with a clean microfiber.. took away the haziness but still tons of swirls.. os i tried a new spot on the truck just swirlx .. same method as above.. SWIRLS.. went back to autozone and got ultimate polish.. tried on top of botht the spots i had already tried.. still swirls.. each one took away more hazing but swirls looks like smears when the light hits it right.. so i try ultimate polish with microfiber all by itself.. swirls!!!.. applied to a clean truck in the shade.. hood was cool.. product never dried.. when it did i added more and rubbed in before i wiped it off.. the front of my hood and fender just look like junk from where i have used these products now and i got over 60k invested in this thing.. just sickening

Comment

I mean, from what you are describing.. who knows what is strong enough.

ColorX would be the usual start for a cleaner/wax with some cleaning ability.

On the brighter side, if you bought something that doesnt work for you, you should be able to return for a refund with no problems. If not, give Customer Care a call.

This may also be of help:

Comment

im just curious what other people do to these vehicles.. i dont know what else to do.. just wax over everything and you can still see some of the swirls.. i just want to go from the ground up and get it back in shape... so i can maintain .. just drives me nuts i have been at it for a week now and lots of time and effort and it looks worse

Comment

I havent claybarred in a few months but i dont think thats the problem wiht the products causing hazing or swirls..

Comment

Multiple products damage finish

To make it short im working on a 08 sierra.. clean, new products, UC hazes causes swirls, swirlx same, scrqtchx same, UP same.. bought all of these they all scratch and swirl my finish even putting them on with new applicators.. does meguiars not make ANYTHING for paint this fickle?

Comment

does meguiars not have a single product for cleaning deswirling fickle paint?

Comment

Re: Multiple products damage finish

You work by hand, right? What applicator did you use?

Comment

Re: Multiple products damage finish

used foam pad and microfiber pads with the hand help applier or w/e so i didnt have pressure points

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');