• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with NXT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with NXT

I called the Meguiars hot line, and was instructed to go to this forum and tell Mike P. the problem I had with NXT. Maybe he could help me.
    I own a 2year old black Corvette, which I keep in the garage when I'm not driving it. I decided to use the NXT TECH product, after all the hupla on the corvette forum. First I removed the old wax with a dawn washing. Claybared the car. Washed the car again with the purple NXT car wash to get all the lub and contaminates off. Applied a coat of NXT waited about 1/2 hour to buff. It seemed like it was not dry, so I waited about another hour. I used a M/F towel. The wax buffed out, but it had a haze to it. Tried a terry cloth and it was like steaking oil. It was like trying to buff out wd-40.
    I figured I needed to let it dry longer. I applied a second coat, tried to buff the hood after 2 hours. Same thing, cloudy, hazzy, streaky. That when I got a little ticked. Left the wax on the rest of the car overnight. Well same thing.
    I followed the instructions to the letter. I didn't know this wax was this tempermental. Couldn't leave it like that so I applied a coat of Mothers. Looks good. Maybe the NXT is a good base coat.
    Everything was done in my garage. No direct sunlight.
    I give up.

That's a new one to me. The only thing I can think of is that you might have applied it too thick & maybe the humidity in your area is really high at the moment.

When removing NXT that had been applied a bit thicker in one area, I DID get some very light smearing, but a couple extra passes with a MF or terry towel removed them easily....

It IS possible that you got a bad bottle...maybe it froze during shipping??
    Don
    12/27/2015
    "Darth Camaro"
    2013 Camaro ... triple black
    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Did you thoroughly shake the bottle?

When I apply NXT, I shake the bottle every time I add a bit to the applicator. You may have been spreading just the "oils" of the product and not the complete mixture.

Comment

Apply it very thin. The thinner the better. After the pad gets wet with product put it on pad one drop at a time.

Comment

I think you must have come across a bad bottle. I have been through 2 full bottles with no issues whatsoever. Like mentioned before sometimes if its too thick you will get light smearing but another pass will take care of it, on hotter days I use a little final inspection and the smears are gone.
          If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

Don makes a very good point. I have always worried about ordering liquid products during the winter due to the possibility of freezing. However, the onl time I have personally experienced freezing of a product was when I left some #9 in my car during weather when the temp. dropped below 0°. When it happened, it was obvious that something was wrong. The #9 separated and shaking it would not make it mix back together.

Is your garage heated? What was the temperature in your garage when you applied it? MPPP can be tricky in cold temperatures. There has to be a temperature below which any sealant is difficult to apply and remove, not to mention the long curing times. But I believe the critical temperature for NXT is lower than MPPP. MPPP is difficult to work with at temperatures below 60°.

Another thing to consider is the sealant you used previously. Was it Zaino? If yes, the dawn and clay may not have removed all of it. The official word from Zaino is that dawn and claying will not remove all of it. Isopropyl alcohol is recommended to remove Zaino. If you had used a cleaner polish after claying and before NXT, it probably would have removed any of the Zaino that was left.

RamAirV1
            2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
            2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Re: Problem with NXT

Originally posted by 3rd-inf
              I called the Meguiar’s hot line, and was instructed to go to this forum and tell Mike P. the problem I had with NXT. Maybe he could help me.
              Welcome 3rd-inf,

So sorry your very first post here had to be one of disappointment. I'm glad you called Meguiar's Customer Care, that's what they're there for, and I'm glad they sent you here, this is one of the reasons I'm here as well as this discussion forum.

Meguiar's stands behind their products 100%. The guarantee on the back of the box of the NXT Tech Wax that you bought says this,

MEGUIAR'S GUARANTEE

THIS IS BY FAR THE EASIEST CAR WAX YOU'VE EVER USED OR YOUR MONEY BACK. If this product isn't all we say it is, return the unused portion for a full refund of the verified purchase price.
              You'll be hard pressed to find a stronger guarantee from any other wax, or polish company.

The results you experienced are the first I have ever heard as you describe them. Yesterday, in front of 30 -40 people, I applied the NXT Tech Wax to a black Porsche for a side-by-side demonstration and then had an club member wipe it off after about 15 minutes of drying time with absolutely no problems and flawless results. The side on the left without any cobweb scratches, is the NXT side.

Every car I have applied the new Tech Wax to, has wiped off easily, and in all cases I know of, it has left awesome results. So your experience is not only unheard of, but as far as I know, never before seen.

At all my clinics, I try to find someone in the crowd to wipe the Tech Wax off just to show how easy it is. For example, the young lady below.

I own a 2 year old black Corvette, which I keep in the garage when I'm not driving it. I decided to use the NXT TECH product, after all the hupla on the corvette forum.
              Hoopla? Which Corvette discussion forum are you talking about? I quickly glanced through the Car Care products discussion forum on CorvetteForum, but most the hoopla I read was about Zaino, not NXT Tech Wax?

If the above isn't the right forum, let me know where to look, I should probably check it out and answer any questions if I can.

First I removed the old wax with a dawn washing.
              High Alkaline detergents are too harsh for washing automotive finishes. Your Corvette's finish, plus all the other components, rubber, plastic, etc. will look better, and last longer if you stick with a pH balanced car wash specifically designed for washing cars. Here's an article I recently wrote that touches on paint and high alkaline dish soaps

Claybared the car. Washed the car again with the purple NXT car wash to get all the lub and contaminates off. Applied a coat of NXT waited about 1/2 hour to buff.
              There is no need to wait for a half hour for the NXT Tech Wax to dry, the instructions on the back of the bottle say to let it dry for 10 - 15 minutes. I have personally bubba-proofed this wax and let it sit on much longer and the results are the same. Tech Wax wipes off easy.

It seemed like it was not dry, so I waited about another hour.
              Never seen nor heard of anything like this.

I used a M/F towel. The wax buffed out, but it had a haze to it. Tried a terry cloth and it was like steaking oil. It was like trying to buff out wd-40.
              WD-40? This is a first.

The only possible answer for results like you describe is somehow, their must be a quality issue with the product in your bottle. NXT has only been out for a very short time, and until your experinece posted here, no one has ever had the kind of problem you have described.

In an effort to help you out and get to the bottom of this, I will personally send you a check for a full refund, plus your shipping cost, and send you a full bottle of Tech Wax that I will personally inspect first before shipping.

Here is what I would like you to do. Send me your shipping address to my e-mail at mphillips@meguiars.com and I will send you a prepaid shipping box.

I would like you to send me your bottle of Tech Wax with the unused portion left inside. I will then turn this over to Quality Control, and R&D so that they can investigate and hopefully come to a conclusion as to where the problem is. If in fact there is a problem with the product, we certainly want to solve it as fast as we can.

Is this something you would be willing to do? Send me the bottle?

I figured I needed to let it dry longer. I applied a second coat, tried to buff the hood after 2 hours. Same thing, cloudy, hazzy, streaky. That when I got a little ticked. Left the wax on the rest of the car overnight. Well same thing. I followed the instructions to the letter.
              Actually, you didn't. I'm holding a bottle in front of me as I type and it clearly says,

Apply small amount of product on foam applicator and spread a thin, even coat on the entire vehicle and allow 10-15 minutes to cure.

That said, as a part of bubba-proofing this product, I have left it on for hours, and overnight. The result? Each and every time the Tech Wax has wiped off easy. I think we need to get this bottle that you have purchased back to Meguiar's so that we can investigate further to understand why you have experienced such bad results.

I didn't know this wax was this temperamental.
              It's not, as demonstrated by this lady, (older than me, I'm 43), applying the NXT Tech Wax to the entire car using the PC and then removing it all by herself to reveal a show car finish.

Couldn't leave it like that so I applied a coat of Mothers. Looks good. Maybe the NXT is a good base coat.
              NXT is a great base coat, it's also a great finishing wax.

Everything was done in my garage. No direct sunlight. I give up.
              I would hate to see you give up so quickly, especially after taking the time to call Customer Care, and then joining this forum and posting your results. That took a little time and effort and I appreciate your doing so. If you lived within driving range, I would personally like to see if I could resolve the issues myself.

I hope you'll take me up on my offer to send you a prepaid shipping box to return the unused portion of the Tech Wax your purchased, and let me send you a new bottle that I will personally test to insure the quality of. In fact, just by coincidence, I detailing a black 1999 Corvette today. First I have to remove the scouring and scratches instilled by a local detailer, and afterwards, I'll apply the Tech Wax.

While I'm at it, I open a brand new bottle, test it on a portion of the hood, and if it works as perfect as all the bottles I have used, I'll put the cap back on it and send it to you with some bonus microfibers.

How's that sound 3rd-inf?

Beyond that, Meguiar's will be hosting 2 Corvette Clinics, for 3 Corvette clubs on April 3rd.

Check this out...
              http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...info&eventid=4

I'll be teaching the one here in Irvine, CA. and my friend Jason Rose will be teaching the one Nohr's Auto Haus Inc. in Buellton, CA.

I will share your post with the attendees of my clinic and ask everyone to pay special attention when they apply and remove the Tech Wax to their Corvette and then if they don't mind, post their results here, and on the Corvette discussion forum you mentioned at the beginning of your message, where you read about all the hoopla.

I'm not sure where your located, but if you're close to either of these cities, we would roll out the red carpet for you if you could attend and bring your Corvette. If you're not near either of these two cities, perhaps you have a friend from the Corvette discussion forum that you like to hang out on that does, and maybe you could ask them to attend and report back the results they see on multiple Corvettes? (I know I will have at least 30 Corvettes here at the Irvine location).

Not only that, I plan on having a booth and a demonstration car at this years Plastic Fantastic. Perhaps you or a friend will be attending this event and will be able to see the application and removal of Tech Wax first hand?

What can I do to help you out the most?

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike, is there a minimum temperature below which NXT is difficult to apply and /or remove? Or is there a temperature below which NXT takes a lot longer to dry? The reason I ask is that below 50°-60°, depending on humidity, MPPP is more difficult to work with. However, the sample of MPPP that you sent to me a few years ago did not show that same characteristic. It was easier to work with in colder weather.

Also is it a possibility the NXT foroze during shipment? Of course, that is beyond Meguiar's control.

RamAirV1
                2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                  Mike, is there a minimum temperature below which NXT is difficult to apply and /or remove? Or is there a temperature below which NXT takes a lot longer to dry? The reason I ask is that below 50°-60°, depending on humidity, MPPP is more difficult to work with. However, the sample of MPPP that you sent to me a few years ago did not show that same characteristic. It was easier to work with in colder weather.

Also is it a possibility the NXT foroze during shipment? Of course, that is beyond Meguiar's control.

RamAirV1
                  Hi RamAirV1,

From the new Meguiar's FAQ, (not up yet),

Meguiar’s products will work easily within a broad temperature range, such as, 50° to 90° Fahrenheit, but guaranteed best results will be achieved in the 60° to 80° range.

It is possible the NXT Tech Wax froze, 3rd_inf didn't give any indication as to where he's located, or the temperature except to say he did all his work in the garage and out of the sun.

Perhaps he will chime in and supply some more information.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Tim, if you gotta detail, you gotta detail, what can I say? OCD syndrome (Obsessive Compulsive Detailing) syndrome is probably more common among members of this board, SCG, and Autopia. It is probably even more common among members who own dark colored vehicles that require more frequent attention. Nothing to be alarmed about though and no treatment is required.

Mike, those temp ranges are right in line with my experience using MPPP. Other products, like #20, seem to dry quickly in just about any temperature. MPPP dries quickly in hot (80° or higher) and humid weather with no problem, it's only in cold, humid weather that there was a difference. I normally won't do too much detailing except for car washing when it gets above 90° because that's too hot for me.

RamAirV1
                    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Fog

I dried NXT Generation Tech Wax in the FOG this morning here on the humid intracoastal waterway of Madeira Beach, FL.

Comment

What I meant to say was that my Z roadster shined up beautifully in the fog.
                        :p

Comment

Re: Fog

Originally posted by Keo
                          I dried NXT Generation Tech Wax in the FOG this morning here on the humid intracoastal waterway of Madeira Beach, FL.
                          you dried, or tried?

Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Keo
                            What I meant to say was that my Z roadster shined up beautifully in the fog.
                            :p
                            ko0L!

Do you have any pictures?

I just finished testing some repair options on a 1999 Corvette with extremely bad swirls. As a part of the detail today, after machine cleaning the drivers side with a rotary buffer and a PC using #83 DACP, and on the other side, only using the PC with #83 DACP, I Hand Applied one thin layer of NXT Tech Wax.

According to my computer clock approximately 25 minutes have passed, (It took me a while to rename, crop, resize and upload my pictures to the gallery), I will now have my wife go out and remove the wax by hand to check it for what 3rd_inf described as,

Originally posted by 3rd-inf
                            It was like trying to buff out wd-40.
                            Mike
                            Mike Phillips
                            760-515-0444
                            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike it wasn't a thick fog. It was about a 1 or 2 mile visibility fog with 90% humidity.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');