• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had an 8006 pad rip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had an 8006 pad rip

The back of my pad ripped about a half inch from the velcro area. Only the second time I used it.The rip is only about 1/5 through the pad. Is it still usable in a jam or will it rip all the way through.

Re: Had an 8006 pad rip

Are you using the PC's backing plate? Do you have the Meguiars backing plate?

Make sure the backing plate is centered in the pads backing, there should be a small portion of the pads backing showing all the way around the backing plate, if this is not the case the pad could. Also you don't want to much downward pressure, this to can cause it to tear as the backing palate 'digs' into the foam, even more so if your backing plate is too big.

Hope this helps!
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by kboxer View Post
      The back of my pad ripped about a half inch from the velcro area. Only the second time I used it.The rip is only about 1/5 through the pad. Is it still usable in a jam or will it rip all the way through.

It sounds like you are using either: Too large of backing plate, using too much downward pressure when buffing or using too high of speed (do not go above speed 5 on the G100/PC).

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Could be too much downward pressure. I used the backing plate that came with it. Seems to work ok.

Comment

Could be too much downward pressure. I used the backing plate that came with it. Seems to work ok.
          Hey,

That is what it sounds like; too much pressure causes the pad to mushroom excessively. If really excessive pressure is applied the action of the buffer will cause the pad to tear.

Here is an excellent thread where Mike explains how much pressure to use when using the G100.

I hope this helps!

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

...I used the backing plate that came with it. Seems to work ok.
            Is yours a Meguiar’s G100 with a Meguiar’s backing plate? Or is it a Porter-Cable 7336 with a Porter-Cable plate?

If it’s a Porter-Cable plate that’s probably your problem right there. That plate overhangs the pads’ loop backing and tears up the foam.

PC.

Comment

It does sound like there is too much pressure and maybe it is being used on its edge. I would not continue to use it because if it rips all the way in the middle of the use you could do some damage to the paint.
              John Keeling
              Meguiar's Customer Care
              800.854.8073 x113

Comment

This is also a problem that while uncommon, we have heard about from time to time. If you bought the pad through us, give me a call and I can send you out a new one.
                John Keeling
                Meguiar's Customer Care
                800.854.8073 x113

Comment

It is from a local distributor so I will be picking up new ones on Thur. Thank you for the great customer service though.

I am an honest man and it is an operator error I believe, not a product malfunction.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');