• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives technology and Meguiar'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives technology and Megu

Originally posted by Boba View Post
    Mike, does this mean that M105 can be used to remove swirls anywhere from very light to very deep, and would not use the concept of "work your way down the aggressiveness?"
    Yeah, kind of does... that's the monkey wrench part...

Meguiar's still recommends using the least aggressive product to get the job done however.

For example if M205 will get the job done then don't start with M105

If SwirlX will get the job done, then don't start with Ultimate Compound.

That's where testing to a small spot comes into play before going over the entire car.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: What's the difference between Meguiar's Super Micro Abrasives technology and Megu

Mike: Reading the above... would you go from Swirlx straight to a wax like NXT 2.0 or would you suggest a step in between (like a polish) assuming you've removed the swirls?

Comment

Originally posted by ghaines View Post
        Mike: Reading the above... would you go from Swirlx straight to a wax like NXT 2.0 or would you suggest a step in between (like a polish) assuming you've removed the swirls?
        After SwirlX go straight to wax assuming your test spot resulted in a smooth, clear finish.

Always do a test spot for your process and that way you insure your final results will be great.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike: Last question on this topic... I see many posts that reflect multiple corrective steps: Ultimate Compond or #105 followed up by #83 or #205, then go to a pure polish then wax? Your suggesting finding the corrective step that addresses the issue then straight to final application of wax or sealant? Do the additional steps offer something that I'm missing, or is this not necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
            M86 (So1o - Cut & Polish Cream), D151 (Paint Reconditioning Cream) & M105 (Ultra-Cut Compound) would fall into the "super micro abrasive" bucket. Even though they all use a different version / style of the "super micro abrasive".

M95 (Speed Cut) is a really blend of "diminishing" & "super micro abrasive"

All other cleaners, compounds, cleaner/polishes and cleaner/waxes, in our automotive line, would fall into the diminishing abrasive bucket.
            Just to clarify for some of those reading this for the first time...this was posted over a year ago. Since then new SMAT products include Ultimate Compound, Swirl-X, M205, etc.

Didn't want anyone to grab M205 or UC and try to work it like a DAT compound. Dangers of reviving old threads...lol

Comment

Originally posted by ghaines View Post
              Do the additional steps offer something that I'm missing, or is this not necessary?
              Generally speaking, if you break-up the paint polishing into multiple steps you'll usually get better results versus one or two steps, so yes there usually is a benefit to doing some final polishing work with usually a light cleaner/polish and a soft foam finishing pad.

How far you take your process depends upon your goal for the car and your passion for this craft. A lot of people looking for help on this forum are working on daily drivers and from what we've seen with these new products, it's possible to get LSP-ready results after one step using something like Ultimate Compound or M105 Ultra Cut Compound.

And this is key, for some people this is not only good enough the kind of results they're getting are more than they expected and hoped for so going to the waxing step fits their goals as a second polishing step may be more than they're interested in for a daily driver.

So each person has to weigh their options balancing their goals with what the car is used for, (show car or daily driver), and how much passion they are willing to invest into the project. In this case, passion means steps...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                So each person has to weigh their options balancing their goals with what the car is used for, (show car or daily driver), and how much passion they are willing to invest into the project. In this case, passion means steps...

Well said, this is my feelings exactly and I'm a man of passion in this hobby.

I'd much rather do all 5 steps in mainting my car's finish than cutting corners with mixes, even if the results were the same I enjoy taking the time for each step and watching the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
                  I'd much rather do all 5 steps in mainting my car's finish than cutting corners with mixes, even if the results were the same I enjoy taking the time for each step and watching the progress.
                  I want to be with you on this, especially concerning my personal car (my wife's daily driver, on the other hand, gets the one-step polishing treatment Mike speaks about); but my passion hits a wall by the end of the second full day of detailing. Two days is all the passion, energy, and time I can give, even for my Luthien. Must be old age.
                  Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                  --Al Kimel

Comment

This helps. Thanks for all the great direction.

G

Comment

Originally posted by akimel View Post
                      ...but my passion hits a wall by the end of the second full day of detailing. Two days is all the passion, energy, and time I can give, even for my Luthien. Must be old age.
                      I have to agree with you on this!

I don't have quite as much in the tank anymore.
                      r. b.

Comment

Looks like SMAT abrasives could be a bit dangerous to the paint? Probably not, but it concerns me that the product is still abrading the finish instead of breaking down to nothing.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper View Post
                          Looks like SMAT abrasives could be a bit dangerous to the paint? Probably not, but it concerns me that the product is still abrading the finish instead of breaking down to nothing.
                          From what is being said about the differences between the two technologies, that seems to be the case.

However, given that SMAT is a technological improvement and possibly a replacement of DAT (as in the case with ScratchX and ScratchX 2.0), I would not worry about SMAT causing potential damage relative to DAT. The reason why the two technologies have not bee thoroughly explained is because such information is proprietory.

Comment

Originally posted by the_invisible View Post
                            From what is being said about the differences between the two technologies, that seems to be the case.

However, given that SMAT is a technological improvement and possibly a replacement of DAT (as in the case with ScratchX and ScratchX 2.0), I would not worry about SMAT causing potential damage relative to DAT. The reason why the two technologies have not bee thoroughly explained is because such information is proprietory.
                            Thanks for your post.

However, it would be nice if management could find some choice words to explain it just a bit better...if that's possible.
                            r. b.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');