• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal question about Pictures on the Internet? - Watermark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal question about Pictures on the Internet? - Watermark

Are pictures on the internet public domain?

Can I use any picture I come across and use it how ever I want?
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Re: Legal question, can anyone answer this?

Not if they are copyrighted.

Comment

I always post pics with my write ups. Come to find out over 6 web-site are using my pics and copy from my web site and write ups.

Today I recieved my Dec. copy of Pro. detailing and carwash magazine and they used a photograph I posted here in one of their stories!
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Unfortunately anything that has not been copy written can be used by other people. I was formally part owner of a small business, and long story short had a lot of graphic design "work in progress" copy written by my "friend."

Anyhow, just something to watch out for.

Comment

It is my understanding that after the mid 90's, all still photos are considered copyrighted without having to place a copyright on them. I believe motion pictures still require some additional steps. Now whether you have to indicate they are copyrighted for them to be so is an area of question for me. I'd call up a copyright attourney and talk to him/her, they will let you know if you have case or not usually on the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by yakky View Post
            It is my understanding that after the mid 90's, all still photos are considered copyrighted without having to place a copyright on them. I believe motion pictures still require some additional steps. Now whether you have to indicate they are copyrighted for them to be so is an area of question for me. I'd call up a copyright attourney and talk to him/her, they will let you know if you have case or not usually on the phone.
            Theoretically, a copyright exists upon the creation of an author's work. In reality, enforcing a copyright that hasn't been registered is almost impossible.

It wouldn't hurt to put Copyright 2006 Superior Shine on your photos.

Comment

Here's a better question.

This appears on the bottom of the MOL home page:

(c)Meguiar's Inc.

Do you give up any rights to photographs and writings whenm you post here? Just maybe Meguiar's own the rights to anything posted on MOL and THEY need to sue Pro Detailing and Carwash Magazine.

Comment

Hope this helps. I did some professional photography work in my past. Also go to copyright.gov Lots of good information there.

Below is a quote from that website...

"When is my work protected?
                Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
                No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section"
                Scott

Comment

Thanks for the info!

BTW-Thanks for the carepackage goodies support (write up on it will be done this weekend)

Comment

In a nutshell... the pictures you post are considered "published" and therefore are considered copyrighted and your possession, no matter where you publish them. If you want to be safer include a watermark in your photos claiming copyright. To read about copyright law go here.
                    Leo

Comment

Originally posted by DFTowel View Post
                      If you want to be safer include a watermark in your photos claiming copyright.
                      Adding a watermark should be fairly easy for any of you PhotoShop pros, if you know how maybe you could do a little write-up and post it for the benefit of others. (Including me )

Adding a watermark to our PhotoPost Gallery is another option we should look into, if any PhotoPost Gurus are reading this and know how this is done, please reply to this thread or shoot me an e-mail.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                        Adding a watermark should be fairly easy for any of you PhotoShop pros, if you know how maybe you could do a little write-up and post it for the benefit of others. (Including me )

Adding a watermark to our PhotoPost Gallery is another option we should look into, if any PhotoPost Gurus are reading this and know how this is done, please reply to this thread or shoot me an e-mail.

Thanks for the info everybody.

I would also like to learn how to watermark photos.

Comment

digimarc.com/mypicturemarc/default.asp

Here is a watermark I just created in Corel draw and then exported to .psd for PhotoShop.

BTW: this is a picture that Mike P. took last night. This is just for an example purpose only.
                          You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Here is another water mark I just made, just tring new things. Here is my favorite picture of Tim. He was telling us how the G100 works better after you sing to it! You can tell how much the others in the room felt about that.

I will try to write up some thing for your guys, but I am useing Corel draw and PhotoShop so unless you have both of those programs it may be useless.
                            You left out licking the water off. Oh, wait a minute, that's my cat, not my car. Uh, I mean my cat licks himself dry. I don't lick my cat dry. Or my car. -PC.

Comment

Here's a quick and easy way to create a copyright watermark on any photo:

1) In Photoshop create a new file about 500 pixels wide by 75 tall, be sure it has a transparent background

2) Using the TEXT tool create black text saying "(c)2006 your name" and set the transparency to 50%. Helvetica 18 pt. is best but any will do. Note that I typed (c) and not the actual copyright symbol. You should type the real symbol, for some reason if I do that here the message gets cut off at that point.

3) Save the file as a Photoshop file, not as a JPG or GIF. You will then use this file in the future to create watermarks on any picture you want.

Now, whenever you want to add a watermark

1) Just open the image you want in Photoshop and also open the copyright file.

2) Using the MOVE tool drag the text image from the copyright file onto the picture and position it where you want. You can adjust the text size and opacity at that point to better fit the picture.

3) Save the picture as a GIF or JPG and your done.

Here's an example of the result.
                              Leo

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');