• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

basketball scuffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basketball scuffs

Looking for some advice.

I recently bought a 2012 Honda CR-V for my wife. Color is 'Crystal Black Pearl'. As with any used at there's bound to be a little wear and tear to the finish, however after my first wash job I noticed a few marks on the hood that look like a volleyball or basketball bounced on it. They only show up when the car is clean and they are scuffs in the clear coat, not on top of it.

I worked on it some. So far the most aggressive I have gone is some UC with a yellow foam pad under medium to heavy pressure (by hand), but no luck getting the marks out. Seems like maybe some improvement but they are still there.

What should my next step be? Would the UC with a microfiber applicator give me more aggression but still be safe to the clear coat?

Any recommendations?

I will try to get some pictures but it's been pouring rain here for a while. Will try to get some when I can.

U have alot of options, 1 st what speed are u running the da at? I assume at 5. Then ur next step could b either try 105 followed by 205. Or the mf pads. The mf prob b ur best bet. U can use uc with it 205 as well. But I say stick with what they designed it for and that's the 300. If this doesn't work need to go a little more aggressive depending on ur experience with a rotary. Or u can always take it to meguiars tnog and have me stoops take a look, assuming ur in California at least.

But u might want to find a professional detailer who's a member on here and let them take a crack, but I really think the 300 with mf pad will work. They do amazing things as everyone says.

Comment

I think you're on the right path in wanting to try UC with microfiber applicators next.. IMO the foam apps are better suited for 'creampuffs' aka new cars with light swirls, soft paint, and best of all 'speading wax'.

But when it comes to removing anything beyond fine swirls by hand I reach for the microfiber applicators in order to make it a fair fight vs. paint defects.

Reading your post actually inspired me to correct some paint by hand instead of just talking about it. Besides, talk is cheap ~ Actions speak louder than words. So I went outside and found the nearest car [in this case my next door neighbor] and he was more than happy to let me experiment and try to remove this nasty 'scuff' off his truck.

Ultimate Compound, by hand, microfiber applicator, lets get ready to rumble;p

After 2 applications with a good amount of elbow grease, this defect was putting up a good fight...

I flipped the pad over and decided to change my approach a bit from fast motion to slower back & forth strokes, with just enough passion to see the desired results on their way...

After 5 pea size applications and a bit of sweat on my forehead from this defect putting up a decent fight, it's about time to deliver the knockout punch and declare victory..

Victory by right hand knockout over paint defect Thx to microfiber, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, and the right amount of elbow grease. Thx for reading. Hope y'all enjoyed. My neighbor was pretty stoked by the results

Comment

I'm sorry I missed that u were working by hand. There's only so much u can do with ur hand not to mention the amount of work involved. I suggest investing in a da. Meguiars has one and if u have a corded driller u can opt for the drill attachment they make which is half the cost but same results. Only difference is u can only work with 4" pads as opposed to go thru 4-7 "" and any size inbetween with the proper backing plate of cours.

Now if u have a black car as well as multiple card ur taking care of its just smarter to get the meguiars da or even a porter cable da.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');