• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1994 Dodge Ram Needs a little help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 Dodge Ram Needs a little help!

Hey guys!

New here and new to the world of detailing. Before I realized what the range of products is out there I just assumed a good wash and a bottle of paste wax was good enough! Now I know it takes much more than that.

Ok so I have a 1994 Dodge ram, purchased a little over a year ago with a fairly new cheap-o paint job from Macco. It sees a lot of off-road use from dirt, to mud, to your classic Arizona pin-striping! I recently noticed that after a rainstorm the dried up droplets seemed to have changed the paint. It's as if my paint now has leopard spots, but only on the hood. I also noticed that no matter how much I wash it there seems to be a thin layer of dirt/mud that simply will not come off the hood. The paint job wasn't very good to begin with as the hood and roof are somewhat of a stain verses a gloss. What products do you suggest I use to gain more of a shine? I know I need a nice hand wash, followed by a rub down with the clay bar. Beyond that I begin to get confused on what products to use and in what order. I'm not expecting a show-room shine, but I would like her to look cleaner while on the street. I'm not so worried about scratches as I give her doses of those nearly every weekend! Thanks for the help everyone!

Here are a few pictures. I'll try to get some of the issues mentioned as soon as possible.

This picture shows what the roof used to look like. It now has 3 large stripes, darker than the rest of the paint, running front to back. Could it be the previous color (dark green) beginning to show through? The previous owner failed to remove the last color before painting. They didn't even throw primer over it.

Re: 1994 Dodge Ram Needs a little help!

There does seem to be greenish tints to the gray. But that could also be worrying as far as the paint thickness, and how much you have to work with.

The most gentle way to do some cleaning would be:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX - This is a medium strength cleaner wax.
    4. Wax - 2 coats of wax is recomended, so using a regular wax after ColorX would get that if you wanted to.

Using SwirlX instead of ColorX would give some more cleaning ability. It is mild overall still, and could be used all the time on most cars. But if your paint is that thin, you may want it to be a second option, or at least second for the roof.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: 1994 Dodge Ram Needs a little help!

Alrighty sounds good. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');