• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing Acrylic lacquer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing Acrylic lacquer

Hi
    Ive scoured alot of this site but cant find any similar posts..so Id be interested which meguiar product would be best suited for this scenario.

Ive painted a VW '73 type 3 fastback 2 weeks ago - solid colour - no clear. I was considering clear but from what I gather - and result so far - its not required?

The finish from the devilbiss hvlp gun is great..moderate mount of gloss already, but some very slight spray patterns - easilyeven out wet sanding with 1200.

my question is which product and method of application to gain most shine/gloss? Id prefer hand but if random orbital buffers are the way to go happy to try that.

thanks! Luke

Re: Polishing Acrylic lacquer

I would use the 105/205 combo.
    It works Great!!!!
    That would be either hand or DA.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

I think you did yourself an injustice by using lacquer. For less amount of work you could have used a modern paint system that is much more durable.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
        I think you did yourself an injustice by using lacquer. For less amount of work you could have used a modern paint system that is much more durable.
        Lacquer is much easier to use for a novice. You dont need a booth, you could paint in a alley , which we did . Dust is not a problem because it drys so fast. You dont have to cover everthing in the garage , because modern paint in very sticky and sticks to everthing. Lacquer is dry and the over spray is just dust. Ive painted cars with lacquer and I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by nixon View Post
          Hi

my question is which product and method of application to gain most shine/gloss? Id prefer hand but if random orbital buffers are the way to go happy to try that.

thanks! Luke
          If you're going to try to remove sanding marks by hand then try to finish with at least #2000 grit instead of #1200

Lacquer is a soft, easy paint to sand and buff but finishing with a higher grit will make it easier to remove your sanding marks by hand or machine.

Orbital buffers are worthless for removing sanding marks, so if you're not going to use a rotary then get either M105 or Ultimate Compound and use this with a terry cloth applicator pad to rub out the paint/rub out the sanding marks.

Afterwards, switch to a foam applicator pad and switch to a lighter product like SwirlX and re-polish each square inch again with a more gentle touch.

After 30 days, apply your favorite wax.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Larry A View Post
            Lacquer is much easier to use for a novice. You dont need a booth, you could paint in a alley , which we did . Dust is not a problem because it drys so fast. You dont have to cover everthing in the garage , because modern paint in very sticky and sticks to everthing. Lacquer is dry and the over spray is just dust. Ive painted cars with lacquer and I liked it.
            I have painted many cars with lacquer. I remember painting complete cars panel by panel in my garage over the course of 2-3 months.. What you say is true but I traded it all for a much shiner and durable finish.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
              I have painted many cars with lacquer. I remember painting complete cars panel by panel in my garage over the course of 2-3 months.. What you say is true but I traded it all for a much shiner and durable finish.
              I've shot a couple of lacquer paint jobs due to the simple technology and low cost...

You're right that modern paints are a lot better for durability but as long as you polish lacquer often with a quality product it will look good and hold up for a long time.

It's only when you use cheap, abrasive or high solvent car care products, detergent soap, or don't do 'something' often that lacquer paint will go down hill.

This car has a lacquer paint job sprayed by the owner in his garage...

1960 Corvette - How To Restore Single Stage Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for your feedback guys...

Yeah 2 pack modern paint is great - and If I restoring a total classic - mustang etc - I would definately chose that.
                However I wanted to do it all myself..with risk of organ failure with toxins..and the the value of the car doesnt justify it.

so I 'll go to #2000 then m105

I will try and load some before/ after pictures

Comment

Originally posted by nixon View Post
                  Thanks for your feedback guys...

Yeah 2 pack modern paint is great - and If I restoring a total classic - mustang etc - I would definately chose that.
                  However I wanted to do it all myself..with risk of organ failure with toxins..
                  Thats why it is illegal here now.

Love to see pics when your done!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');