• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dashboard, Vinyl/Plastic Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dashboard, Vinyl/Plastic Prep

It seems, by experience, that many dashes and interior surfaces are not properly prepped before a dressing. Meguiars #40 is an exceptional product but still has its shortcomings. For dull and neglected surfaces you need to remove oxidation, and if there are any cheap silicates. I am not here to start the Armor All debate and cracking dashes, but silicates just are cheap shine and don't do sh#$ for interior trim. Anyway the best prep for surfaces especially the modern plastic ones is the mixture below. Why I am sharing this is because I am beyond caring about making money money from this as a business. I blew my back out two years ago, so I am limited on how many paint restores I can do in a week. So here is the formula:

1 sprayer
    4 caps Murphy's Oil Soap
    6 Drops Vitamin E Oil
    1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    1/4 Borax
    Fill rest with cold H20 (Water)
    Shake the bottle till all solution mixes THOUROUGLY!
    AS ALWAYS TEST IN SMALL AREA 1st!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Borax and Baking Soda acts as a mild abrasive which scrubs away all the oxidation and dullness. The Oil Soap and Vitamin E oil replensishes the oils into the plastic or vinyl trim pieces, more importantly this removes all the cheap silicate sh#$.

If needed for severely neglected surfaces scrub a baking soda slur on the surfaces first and flush with water.

Final dressing Meguiars Vinyl/Rubber Conditioner this product removes any excess oxidation and properly conditions the surface. The result is proper sheen, not a junk 2 dollar bottle of shine. I have used this on the few vinyl peices of 150k Mercedes Benz's and BMW's...
    In case your wondering I had plenty of satisfide customers using this method.

Re: Dashboard, Vinyl/Plastic Prep

Sounds interesting, and have never used this method before.

I do not use any dressings on any vehicles I service.

I usually clean with an All Purpose Cleaner & hot water mix followed by an application of Quik Interior Detailer for a matte factory look.
    Nick
    Tucker's Detailing Services
    815-954-0773
    2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Re: Dashboard, Vinyl/Plastic Prep

I understand about the dressing part... It really comes down to customer preference. A high shine looks cheap; as if your masking a problem (JMO). As far as the #40 is concerned it is already water based so you can cut it further with water if needed. I try to avoid using the stuff myself, murphy's oil soap already gives a nice matte look. It seems like this method is a hillbilly concoction but really it is far from that. A lot of "natural products" have a purpose in detailing simple green for example.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');