• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheep-o Electric Toothbrush for Cleaning Emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheep-o Electric Toothbrush for Cleaning Emblems

Hey All,

I have an Explorer where there are chrome emblems on either door and a couple of emblems on the back hatch. After many washings, I looked close at these emblems only to find that inside the letters, I could see they were still dirty and perhaps, maybe some wax stuck in there too.

So, having kids and always trying to motivate them to brush their teeth, we had a cheep-o Colgate "Motion" electric toothbrush laying around. Well, I got to thinking that this brush doesn't spin but rather oscilates back and forth and perhaps it would be cool to use on the emblems on the Explorer. I tried it out and it worked great at getting anything and everything that was in between all the letters on the emblem, clean. I guess I would prefer the back and forth motion opposed to one that just spins because of fear of scrathing the paint. And I know Megs sells a Triple Duty Detail Brush which also works well but I gave mine away to a friend and have not replaced it as of yet. So, for a $7 toothbrush (replace your own batteries which are AA type), this thing worked good for me. I also used it around trim and door handles and it also did a great job.
    Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Thanks for sharing this tip Brad. Interestingly enough, before the cheapie electric toothbrushes came out and all that was available was the Sonic Care toothbrushes for I think $70.00 plus, I used to use mine for detailing other people's wax out of the cracks and I had the idea of coming out with a cheap version of the Sonic Care Toothbrush just for detailers. Then the free-market took over and now their a dime a dozen, (well almost).

It's not a perfect tool, but depending on the brush action it can take some of the work out of getting dried polish and wax out of tight areas without resorting to scrubbing with a brush. I think its the fast, short stroke movements that help to agitate and remove dried product.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Great idea!

-Bob
      NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

lol i have the oral-b sonic compleate deluxe and i never thought of using it on my car .... the heads are over $12 a peice
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I have an changeable head toothbrush. I just through away an old one. Gonna dig it out and try it on the car!!
          Great idea!!

Kelly
          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

I was on some website looking at detailing products (don't remember which) and they were selling what was basically an electric toothbrush with the brushes at a slightly different angle. They were pitching that it was great for scrubbing hard to reach areas of the interior.

Comment

very interesting idea! I have a sonicare, I may have to give it a try with an old brush head just for fun.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

psst Mike. We need a Dual Action Microfiber Toothbrush for 2007!

I wonder how using a little NXT Metal Polysh would do. Dab your brush in the polish and have a go at anything chrome!

Comment

As long as you don't confuse the NXT with the Colgate...

Comment

Dang! Stole my reply. Too slow. I need DSL.

Kelly
                    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

This is what I was talking about.

Detailer's Toothbrush

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyc
                        This is what I was talking about.

Detailer's Toothbrush
                        That looks like a neat little tool, I like the different brush types.
                        Brandon

Comment

Hmmm.....Maybe we could use this idea to invent a motorized tool for scrubbing tires with?

Great idea on the toothbrush though.
                          r. b.

Comment

Another idea is to use an old WaterPik. You can even buy a new cheapie one for less than $25. I use one in engine crevices and all sorts of places. it's amazing how well this little water blaster it works.
                            Leo

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
                              Hmmm.....Maybe we could use this idea to invent a motorized tool for scrubbing tires with?

Great idea on the toothbrush though.
                              Well..... actually, if you really wanted to get creative, one of these might help, made by Black and Decker:

Cordless Power Scrubber
                              Model # S500
                              - Powerful 3.6V motor for all your scrubbing needs
                              - Extension Handle included to get to the hard to reach areas
                              - Rubber overmold provides an easy grip surface and fully submersible design
                              - 10 versatile attachments for scrubbing on a variety of surfaces; tub, tile, carpets, cars and more!

--------

ScumBuster® Automotive Kit
                              Model # ABB1
                              Spiral wheel brush ideal for hub cap and tire wheel cleaning
                              Washable sponge and 2 mesh bonnets great for cleaning windows, bumpers and radiator grills
                              Accessories fit any Black & Decker ScumBuster®

There are tons of attachments... brushes/sponges/plastic wire wheel and so on.
                              Brandon

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');