• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding clear coat coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding clear coat coming off

This is some wet sanding I did on my mirror playing around about 6 years ago on my ford ranger...
    This by no means is a how to or saying you can do the same because as you can see I didn't really have anything to loose and nothing to brag about but did look better then what I started with. And being a repaint but again a cheap truck I bought and you find things out as you go, like some repaint and different parts being added.

My passenger side mirror that has had a bad paint job done... Starting with 1500 grit paper...

I started off by using Meguiars #00 Hi-tech wash for lubricity in my sand paper water and as for my spray, let my sand paper soak for about an hour or so before starting out. The 1500 wasn't doing the job so I went down to 1200 grit and eased up on the pressure, still wasn't working well but didn't want to get to aggressive because I didn't know how thick or thin the clear coat or paint was. Had one bad spot towards front of mirror edge that I kept pushing my luck even though I wasn't hardly applying any pressure, and then come the OPPS!! yep went through.

Used to be a red mirror, So I called it done with the 1200 grit and had to finish up the rest of the mirror with the 1500 grit. You can see at the front edge of the mirror were I went through and found red. I very lightly sanded some of the front part of the mirror were you can see how bad the clear came off just to remove some of the 1200 grit sanding scratches and hope I didn't go through again so I called it Quites.

After Squeegeeing off and drying... Using M83 Dual action cleaner/polish & W8006 polishing pad...

As you can also see the base of the mirror is still failing from clear coat failure but that is as far as I'm going to go at this point.

After 3 applications of M83, Speed 4 w/light pressure... Going to be using M80 Speed Glaze as a follow up also with a W8006 pad

Now this picture looks great but it's far from it, so I played around with the settings/lighting on my camera. So as not to make like I did some fantastic job, like I said this was a cheap truck and something that I enjoy working on and fixing up little by little.

4 applications of M80 on Speed 4 with light pressure... What I was seeing under bright light and up close...

Reminding me now that I need to do a complete detail on the rest of the truck to make it match the mirror.

From 3 feet away...

BEFORE... AFTER...

Here is the driver side that someone applied clear coat over the splash decals, that I removed, was going to show my process of that but I must have deleted all my other pics and this is the only one I had uploaded on the meguiars gallery to save. (Another great thing about MOL is that you can upload you pics on there gallary and there they for as long as MOL is here, and you don't have to worry if your harddrive goes south and you loose alot of pics, as in my case)

My brother in law now has my old truck and went and looked at it up close and he doesn't take care of it but surprisingly it's not as bad as i thought it would be after him having it for alittle over 4 years. Maybe I should get it this summer and polish it out and take some before and after pics, That would be awful nice of me!
    After I removed the splash decal under the clear coat...
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free
Working...
X
gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');