• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet sanding help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding help..

Hey fellas, I'm doing a Grand Prix GTP 04 black, there's a lot of little marks in the hood, I'm guessing it's from rocks hitting the clear coat and putting "dents in it" if that makes any sense lol it's not in the primer..So I'm new to wet sanding..So I gave it a shot, I used 3m 2000 grit sand paper, I went up and down motion a couple of times...then used UC with polishing pad and the marks are still there and now with some scratches from the sand paper, I ran the UC again over it, same result, so I then went to the wool pad to get out the swirls cause the polishing pad wasn't...bad idea that made the CC very hazy and swirls galore. I went back to the UC with polishing pad and I ended up back at square one, those little dents" and now very slight swirls..For some reason I cannot used a more aggressive pad the car screams swirls lol any help??

Im I'm using a Makita rotary

Also so I'm going to be buying a G100v2 should I get the sanding pads and so forth? Can anyone tell me exactly which ones to get please??
    2012 3.7 Race Red mustang

Re: Wet sanding help..

STOP USING THAT ROTARY! !

And don't try something on your car that you've not done before, get you a test hood and test on it!

And get a G110 before you have a bad day!!!

Have any pics to show condition and what your looking at?
    ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
    You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
    Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Pic

Comment

Comment

All those little cracks are clear coat failure. They are called crows feet or lacquer cracking and the only way to fix that is with a repaint
          Rupes 21 / Flex 3401 / G110v2 / GG3"
          Thoryamaha919 AKA Evan
          Click and Like my Facebook Page

Comment

Hey sky

Evan's right about crows feet/lacquer checking that's found in single stage paints, but clear coat failure it's not, (I've got first hand experience with that on my old jeep cherokee) Only thing to do besides as Evan told you is a repaint but you can do the cleaning polishing and of course the most important thing sealing it!

I believe BillyJack has the same problem when he see's this he will be a great source as to help you maintain this problem.
            ''USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE PRODUCT TO GET THE JOB DONE RIGHT''
            You Don't Know What You Can Do Until You Try '' TECHNIQUE IS EVERYTHING''
            Test Hoods Are Cheap And Most Of The Time Free

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');