• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mysterious Chips!! What to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious Chips!! What to do?

Hi all, I am not sure if this is the right section to post this or not but I am giving it a try as I noticed two chips on top of the windscreen on the body of my Lexus RX330. Both are identical and exactly same distance from the sides. I have tried to take some photos. Please have a look and advise how these could have come and what to do as I think there is rust on both of them. I do have touchup paint that I got with the Car.

Re: Mysterious Chips!! What to do?

Well, the locations could just be a coincidence. How perfect do you want the touch up to be? Experienced at wet sanding, etc?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks for the reply,locations are weird and if you notice the closeup pics, the shape is also similar, both are like the shape of number 8.
      Anyways,not at all experienced with wet sanding but would like to learn, if not what is the best way to fix it with touch up paint and also by the looks of it the touch up fixed next to the spare tyre in the boot also doesn't seem to be identical?? Can it loose color by time, as car is 2005 model.

Comment

Could need shaken up real well. If you cant get it to mix, you may need new. Metalics are tougher to match as well.

You can get some sandpaper and remove the rust and loose edges. Then use a toothpick to dab in new layers of paint, letting each layer dry some. Dont make one big blob. You can get it pretty neat that way.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, won't the sand paper scratch the surrounding area?? I am afraid it might.

Comment

Obviously not a big piece... you can fold some and use the edge/corner, or cut some out and tape it to the tip of a pencil eraser.

Comment

What type of sand paper should I get, please give tell exact and safest type. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by technoguy View Post
                won't the sand paper scratch the surrounding area?? I am afraid it might.
                You can tape around the chip so that you do not scratch the surrounding area when you do your light sanding.

Here is a link to a chip repair that Mark Kleis did that shows his process.
                Brian

Comment

Yeah, tape can be good too.

To remove the rust, I usually whatever paper I have around, usually something in the 200 grit range.

Comment

The rust is the main problem here. How long have the chips been there. You need to try to get the rust out of there before it becomes worse. Before any touch up can be done you need to find a way or it will most definately get worse. It almost looks like the edges of the chips are raised which causes another issue of making them worse. Depending on your experience level it may be best to seek a pro. Not a knock on you just don't want you getting any advice that may be misleading. You need to work within your skillset here.

Andy
                    Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                    Andy M. Moderator

Comment

I would stop by your local auto body paint and supply store and pick up a Prep Pen It will give you precision to remove the rust from the chip and prep the metal for paint.

I would also go to the dealer for the correct touch up bottle of paint.

Mask the area around the chips, due to the location of the chips be careful not to put pressure on the windshield when working on the chips because chances are there chips in the glass as well and cracks could spread from them if you push on the glass.

Remove all the rust and loose paint flakes with the prep pen and than dab on the touch up a little at a time allow 45 min dry time between coats or you can force dry with a hair dryer for 15 min and re coat.

Do not brush on the touch up, use the end of the brush and lightly dab.

If you do not like it the first go around it can be removed with lacquer thinner and your ready to try again to get the results your happy with.

Comment

Frank,

Great tip on the prep pen. I have to get one!!!!

Andy
                        Keeping MOL family friendly! If you need help or have a question, don't hesitate to shoot me an email or PM. 101impala@gmail.com
                        Andy M. Moderator

Comment

Yes, that does sound most usefull.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy M. View Post
                            Frank,

Great tip on the prep pen. I have to get one!!!!

Andy
                            If you would remove some of the lead in your rt foot you would not get so many chips.

Comment

I tried to find the prep pen here in NZ but no one has even heard of it, lol. I took it to the best paint/panel repair shop in Auckland, guy there improved the touchuppain that was in the boot by putting some thinner as he said the paint is too old and become thick or something, he touched it up without cleaning or removing rust and says it should be ok?? I will put picture soon for you guys to comment. I just don't want it to become worse with rust or anything, though I can go through my insurance but telling them how the chips got their would be a challene as no one seems to figure out how it can get chipped on top and that too exactly at same distance form sides?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');